Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831251 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4545 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:55 pm »

Wasn't the point of the weapon system in FO4 that there is a base weapon per ammo type that you then modify into whatever specific configuration you'd want?

No, that isn't true at all.

Institute and Laser are "pallet swaps" with very slightly altered stats (Laser is better outright... and you get it earlier)... and also share ammo with the Musket. Double Shotgun and Combat Shotgun use shells. A TON OF GUNS use .45s

But the real issue is Graknorke is that... it all just boils down to "use the best"
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:55:16 pm by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:32 pm »

Ah, I guess I vaguely heard how it worked and then filled it in with the most interesting method I could think of to fill that half-understanding.
Whatever, I'll still pick the game up in a couple of years when it's cheaper. It'll probably have some fan-changes by then as well.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: December 07, 2015, 07:00:10 pm »

Pipe, Pipe revolver, Laser, and Plasma are weapons that span into other categories. I usually count it as rifle that modifies into a pistol... since the vast majority of them are rifles AND because it is just slight modifications anyway.

Except making them into pistols changes their damage output and functionality, so not calling them pistols when they are in the shape of pistols just because they can be modded into rifles is nonsense.

After all, the 10mm can be modded into a submachine gun, clearly it is not a pistol either.

Speaking of cait, does anyone else find her faux irish accent unbearably annoying while at the same time her backstory quite interesting?
If you think about it, it's extremely strange that she has an Irish accent at all. There's been no trans-Atlantic travel for 200 years, or 8 to 10 generations. Somehow, a family line with a strong Irish accent must have survived without any generation being raised by and parent with a non-Irish accent, and nobody lost their accent in adulthood (presumably spent speaking almost exclusively to people with American accents).

QED Cait learned what an Irish accent is from some old holo tapes and is faking it.

F3 had the same problem with that bar owner guy. Emil Pagliaglio probably just has a thing for Irishness and needs to put it into the game despite there being Jo reason for it to be there.

Ingame-wise, though, the two "Russian" brothers have the same issue.

Edit: damn ninjas! You don't belong in fallout either!
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: December 07, 2015, 07:04:33 pm »

Pipe, Pipe revolver, Laser, and Plasma are weapons that span into other categories. I usually count it as rifle that modifies into a pistol... since the vast majority of them are rifles AND because it is just slight modifications anyway.

Except making them into pistols changes their damage output and functionality, so not calling them pistols when they are in the shape of pistols just because they can be modded into rifles is nonsense.

After all, the 10mm can be modded into a submachine gun, clearly it is not a pistol either.

The 10mm turns into a machine pistol... If the game had an UZI I'd count it.

As for "changes their damage output" nope! Heck I bet you don't even know what part changes it from a pistol to a rifle :P
As for "functionality" BARELY! in fact... you won't notice.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: December 07, 2015, 07:05:47 pm »

There's a decent amount of unique receivers if you count them all, actually.

Basic pipe, pipe revolver, bolt-action pipe
Double-barrel shotgun, combat shotgun
10mm pistol
Hunting rifle
Submachine gun
Assault rifle
Combat rifle
Laser
Laser Musket
Institute
Plasma
Gamma
Minigun
Fat Man
Missile Launcher
Flamer
Syringer
Some other special weapons I can't remember

Plus there's actually a pretty decent variety of melee weapons, but there's only really a few good ones.

There's about as many 'unique' guns as they had in Fallout 3, really, if maybe only a small bit less. New Vegas kind of spoiled us in that regard.

The main issue I've found is that the upgrades are extremely linear. There's one or two obviously best options you want to work your way towards for most of the upgrades except for the peripherals like aiming sights.

Another thing I don't like is the ubiquity of pipe pistols and the general aesthetic of some of the weapons. The assault rifle looks too cobbled together for my taste, despite being a rather excellent gun.

There's also nothing that takes .50 natively, which makes it seem like almost an unnecessary addition.
Nothing important here, move along.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: December 07, 2015, 07:08:15 pm »

Forgot the Gamma gun mostly because it looked like a useless joke item. It's a pistol so there are 3 pistols in the game!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: December 07, 2015, 07:11:35 pm »

Like I am not against weapon modification.

I just don't think Fallout 4 does it satisfactory and in spite having "just as many weapons" as fallout 3... It feels like it has less

Because you basically will toss out many weapons as soon as you get them... and because there are clear "best" stuff, you don't have to try to make the most out of inferior weapons.

Forgot the Gamma gun mostly because it looked like a useless joke item. It's a pistol so there are 3 pistols in the game!

The Gamma gun isn't helped by the fact that it is ONLY useful against human enemies... and only human enemies who aren't in radiation based equipment... and ONLY if you finish the Radiation perk tree...

Gamma guns seem to exist just to kill you when I think about it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:13:49 pm by Neonivek »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: December 07, 2015, 07:15:37 pm »

There's also the alien blaster. That brings up the pistol count to 4!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: December 07, 2015, 07:16:22 pm »

New Vegas already had all of F3's guns to build upon, though, so it's not surprising it had a huge heap of them ;)
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: December 07, 2015, 07:16:34 pm »

There's also the alien blaster. That brings up the pistol count to 4!

I thought that was just a Laser Pistol unique that comes with a unique modification.

There are a few uniques in the game that come with unique mods. Though the Alien Pistol if I remember correctly is one of the few you will get rid of.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4555 on: December 07, 2015, 07:18:05 pm »

Let's wait for DLCs and mods, because that's apparently what people do these days.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: December 07, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »

Alien blaster is it's own thing. You can mod it to use fusion cell. Sadly, it can only have a scope and not a reflex sight. I find scope aiming really useless.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: December 07, 2015, 07:19:33 pm »

Alien blaster is it's own thing. You can mod it to use fusion cell. Sadly, it can only have a scope and not a reflex sight. I find scope aiming really useless.

Ohh yeah... I forgot how disappointing "Unique Uniques" are... they usually only have 2 MAYBE 3 mods.

Like the Cryo gun... which might as well not have any mods because it is useless unmodded.

Goodness I remember how many of those I just tossed into my storage because they are useless...

Including a Junk Gun.

Mind you it has more to do with how the game is set up. Guns are a LOT less unique then they were in say... Fallout 3.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:24:53 pm by Neonivek »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: December 07, 2015, 07:24:24 pm »

If only the Broadsider can shoot explosives or modded to shoot explosives, it would have been a really fun weapon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: December 07, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »

If only the Broadsider can shoot explosives or modded to shoot explosives, it would have been a really fun weapon.

Or have a Grapeshot that instead of acting like a shot gun it shoots a solid mass... Then breaks apart and shoots projectiles through and around whatever it hit.

Or a Magnetic orb that fires a slow moving projectile that homes in on enemies and then electrifies them, holding them still, before blowing up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:34:17 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 462