Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830330 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #4305 on: November 30, 2015, 02:09:09 pm »

*ahem*

Ghouls that have "Turned Feral" existed in the series for a while.

Since F3.

I don't particularly kind the addition though. Only problem with them is how there's so many of them left after 200 years, or how there was enough ghouls to go feral in the first place. But that's the same logistics problem that every bethout enemy brings up (raiders etc) and has nothing to do with feral ghouls in itself.

There were in F1 as well. They were known as "Mindless Ghouls" and "Mad Glowing ones". They were located in the vault under Necropolis, though Mindless ghouls didn't really gain claws or nothing. They were more akin to shambling hordes of zombies. F2 Had the Ghoul Crazy and Glow Crazy, so there is a precedence for insane ghouls through the series.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: November 30, 2015, 02:11:48 pm »

*ahem*

Since F3.

I don't particularly kind the addition though. Only problem with them is how there's so many of them left after 200 years, or how there was enough ghouls to go feral in the first place. But that's the same logistics problem that every bethout enemy brings up (raiders etc) and has nothing to do with feral ghouls in itself.
No...?

They weren't called feral ghouls, but mindless ghouls existed in FO1 and ghoul crazies existed in FO2, both of which were ghousl with degraded minds that shambled forward and attacked on sight.
Feral ghouls, bro.

EDIT: i got ninja'd
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: November 30, 2015, 02:15:06 pm »

Bonus points for the Lore actually saying that not ONLY saying that many ghouls slowly become ferals over time.

But it says that they are unsure but it is possible that "all ghouls" will become Ferals eventually.

Thanks Fallout 2.

Though that is quite dark...

Also as for Ghouls being "Unfairly prejudiced" I don't think it is because Feral Ghouls... their overabundance is really just Fallout 4's doing.

It is more because they look like walking zombies and speak in creepy raspy voices... They would creep anyone out.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:18:09 pm by Neonivek »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: November 30, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »

They are creepy looking mutants, and generally mutants in the wasteland are bad news if you're looking to survive.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: November 30, 2015, 02:45:01 pm »

*ahem*

Since F3.

No...?

They weren't called feral ghouls, but mindless ghouls existed in FO1 and ghoul crazies existed in FO2, both of which were ghousl with degraded minds that shambled forward and attacked on sight.
Feral ghouls, bro.

No, those aren't the same. The "zombie" ghouls in F1 are outright stated to be under orders from Set (the leader of Necropolis) to act like zombies whenever people are nearby to scare people away (you know, the reason they call it Necropolis, the city of the dead). I can't remember any ghouls that attacked on sight in F2 unless you went into the cult's sanctum uninvited, but the cult ghouls weren't mindless either.

Bethesda's feral "their minds have degraded from too much radiation" ghouls are something completely different.
Love, scriver~

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: November 30, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »

*ahem*

Since F3.

No...?

Feral ghouls, bro.

No, those aren't the same. The "zombie" ghouls in F1 are outright stated to be under orders from Set (the leader of Necropolis) to act like zombies whenever people are nearby to scare people away (you know, the reason they call it Necropolis, the city of the dead). I can't remember any ghouls that attacked on sight in F2 unless you went into the cult's sanctum uninvited, but the cult ghouls weren't mindless either.

Bethesda's feral "their minds have degraded from too much radiation" ghouls are something completely different.

Well if you follow the link for "ghoul crazies", you can see evidence that they were in F2, even if you don't remember them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: November 30, 2015, 03:14:31 pm »

If this was a new franchise, it would be fantastic. It's a miserable Fallout game but a very good "spiritual successor to fallout."

It's a miserable Fallout game and a miserable spiritual sequel.

Wasteland 2 was a pretty good spiritual sequel though ;)
You mean the Wasteland 2 with a bunch of broken quests, broken controls, worse visual clarity than FO1, no connection between your characters' sheets and their presence in the game, extremely limited roleplaying (linked to the former point), terrible AI, repetitive environments, forced backtracking, game-breaking bugs and crashes, thoroughly shallow combat, obnoxious and repetitive ambient sounds, et-fuckin'-cetera.

I see this weird-ass dichotomy come up more than it has any right to, where people lambast the 3D Fallouts out one side of their mouth for being shallow, buggy shoot'n'loot cRPGs with no roleplaying and then praise Wasteland 2 as the second coming of FO as if it wasn't worse in every single respect.

I've heard two descriptions of Wasteland 2 which I think suit it the best: It's like playing XCOM:EU on Normal with the fun replaced with bugs. It's like Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics had a lovechild which was repeatedly dropped down flights of stairs, landing on every one with its head.

I would rather spend $60 to re-buy Fallout 1 and not play any games than spend 5$ to buy Wasteland 2 and have to play it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: November 30, 2015, 03:22:44 pm »

Well if you follow the link for "ghoul crazies", you can see evidence that they were in F2, even if you don't remember them.

It features mainly information transcribed from the "Feral ghoul" article as well as texts that preclude them being the same as ferals. It also has a dialogue transcription, though, which portrays them as not being mindless in the same way feral ghouls are.

You mean the Wasteland 2 with a bunch of broken quests, broken controls, worse visual clarity than FO1, no connection between your characters' sheets and their presence in the game, extremely limited roleplaying (linked to the former point), terrible AI, repetitive environments, forced backtracking, game-breaking bugs and crashes, thoroughly shallow combat, obnoxious and repetitive ambient sounds, et-fuckin'-cetera.

I see this weird-ass dichotomy come up more than it has any right to, where people lambast the 3D Fallouts out one side of their mouth for being shallow, buggy shoot'n'loot cRPGs with no roleplaying and then praise Wasteland 2 as the second coming of FO as if it wasn't worse in every single respect.

I've heard two descriptions of Wasteland 2 which I think suit it the best: It's like playing XCOM:EU on Normal with the fun replaced with bugs. It's like Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics had a lovechild which was repeatedly dropped down flights of stairs, landing on every one with its head.

I would rather spend $60 to re-buy Fallout 1 and not play any games than spend 5$ to buy Wasteland 2 and have to play it.

Wow, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. It was a joke on the fact that the original Fallout was a spiritual sequel of the original Wasteland.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: November 30, 2015, 03:25:22 pm »

Wow, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. It was a joke on the fact that the original Fallout was a spiritual sequel of the original Wasteland.

I'll plead Poe's Law. Too many people genuinely praise that shitty mess as the One True Continuation of the Fallout franchise for me to tell the difference, even with the smiley.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: November 30, 2015, 03:38:19 pm »

*ahem*

Since F3.

No...?

Feral ghouls, bro.

You can encounter mindless ghouls and ghould crazies in random encounters. It must be some dedication to keep pretending when you get gunned down en masse...
In other words, sure, while some pretend, I doubt those are all fake.

They were also going to be in Van Buren, as well, called Endless Walkers, so it's not even unique from Fallout 3.

Ghouls losing their minds is not a new thing, and whatever the cause, the net result is a feral ghoul. Anything more is quibbling over semantics.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: November 30, 2015, 03:57:47 pm »

If you make broad enough generalisations every difference becomes semantics. I think there's a pretty obvious difference in design between the two but if that's how you want to see it then we have to agree to disagree.
Love, scriver~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: November 30, 2015, 04:14:20 pm »

If you make broad enough generalisations every difference becomes semantics. I think there's a pretty obvious difference in design between the two but if that's how you want to see it then we have to agree to disagree.
AGREEMENT AND DISAGREEMENT ARE JUST SEMANTICS ANYWAY, so you're on the same page already!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: November 30, 2015, 05:27:46 pm »

Oh man, I just... well uh... I very nearly reloaded my game, but the situation was too hilarious.

Spoiler: Vadim's first job (click to show/hide)

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: November 30, 2015, 05:34:03 pm »

Oh man, I just... well uh... I very nearly reloaded my game, but the situation was too hilarious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: November 30, 2015, 05:44:22 pm »

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 462