Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829573 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #3855 on: November 20, 2015, 12:28:34 pm »

Makes sense, honestly. A few scraps of leather and cloth aren't going to stop a rifle round; a full set of future-tech ballistic plate probably will; nothing you can wear will completely mitigate being doused in burning napalm, taking a rocket to the face, or being shot with a coilgun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: November 20, 2015, 12:50:13 pm »

full suit of combat armor has +100 kinetic armor, a full suit of x-01 +1000
there must be deminishing returns... or either combat armor was useless (with it isnt) or you where invinicble in power armor (with you are not).
still, i dont know what the damage resistance actually is. is the total armor rating of my whole suit sumed up? or is it per body part? is the armor  rating i see my damage threshold?
i realy have no idea how it works in this game, but more is obviously better, so that kind of works for me.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: November 20, 2015, 12:50:55 pm »

Makes sense, honestly. A few scraps of leather and cloth aren't going to stop a rifle round; a full set of future-tech ballistic plate probably will; nothing you can wear will completely mitigate being doused in burning napalm, taking a rocket to the face, or being shot with a coilgun.

Then again, even a dart gun will get a significant % of damage thru wearing a tank. Of course, this doesn't matter much if the damage is low to begin with, it will still be low with armor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: November 20, 2015, 01:39:01 pm »

Hence the "wear"--power armor in FO4 has crossed the threshold from "suit of armor" to "ultra-light personal vehicle".

3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: November 20, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »

I finally got to the point where you meet "Curie", and I got curious about the voice actor, since the french accent seemed fake to me (as a french myself). Turns out she's actually from Venezuela, and although her mother is french and she speaks french fluently, she's also fluent in english (so the accent IS most likely fake).

Speaking about the quest where you meet her :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have not noticed that. That's a bit annoying. I just finished that one last night.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: November 20, 2015, 01:51:35 pm »

Hence the "wear"--power armor in FO4 has crossed the threshold from "suit of armor" to "ultra-light personal vehicle".

I haven't actually played yet, but if PA has its own hit point that gets drained rather than the player HP it makes a lot of sense, most soft wearable armor probably shouldn't give 100% resistance. Player hit points already defy any kind of realistic flesh damaging model, so there's that too.

BTW, the actual "potential damage" that goes into the formula is also affected by weapon range, a lot of peashooters are probably only going to do significant damage at point blank.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: November 20, 2015, 02:21:30 pm »

The way the female voice actress says "I need more. For science." to the Science Centre chick makes that my favourite line so far.
Love, scriver~

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: November 20, 2015, 02:47:43 pm »

i had one goal in this game. ONE.

to collect the wastelands biggest stack of radaway.

atomic preacher dudes are total bitches.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: November 20, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »

Disregard this however, if you wish to collect them legit, or is playing the game on a console.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:00:48 pm by Ultimuh »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: November 20, 2015, 02:58:43 pm »

na, im good. i went through some packs at insane rate, but what was the point of consumables if they where not limited (imo they could be more sparse anyhow)

also, damn. i wanted that line in spoilers for added funsies :/

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: November 20, 2015, 03:01:03 pm »

Disregard this however, if you wish to collect them legit, or is playing the game on a console.

you can omit leading zeroes

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: November 20, 2015, 03:02:23 pm »

Rad-away and rad-X seems to be OVERABUNDANT.... I mean for each time i need to use a X i sold 25 at a vendor, for each away i sold maybe 15... I miss the time where rad-X and away was rare and expensive, here they throw it at you left and right... i really dont see the survival difficulty in this game exept by making enemy hitting like a truck and saoking damage like a sponge.... I do however LOVE the fact it takes a long time for medicine and food to give their effect. No more run in the iddle, oups 1/3 life, pump 3-4 stimepack lets get back to business. Now its more watch my flank, make sure im under cover, pump the stimpacks and peek around the corner and give potshots to prevent them from moving too much.

Cant wait to the geck to come around and add food need/water/sleep and add more god damn weapons!! I mean come on, pipe, laser, plasma with the odd real world counterpart weapon... and thats it... ( im not taking heavy weapon into accounts as they are not really something you go hunting with but more a weapon you use while in your PA.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: November 20, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »

you can omit leading zeroes

True, but I always type them out of habit.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: November 20, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »

Still not getting the "too few weapons" thing, unless you're the sort that installed all those goddamn shitty half-assed real-world imports in NV (you know, the ones with useless ironsights, broken scopes, terrible sound, silly mods, &c., that clutter up droplists with no regard for balance) and haven't bothered with the in-game weapon modding at all. I definitely feel the "too many chems" bit though; even playing wholly on Hard/Very Hard I haven't dipped below 100 stims since level 10ish, and I regularly drop truckloads of Radaway into storage to help limit myself and encourage use of the hazard suit.

I haven't actually played yet, but if PA has its own hit point that gets drained rather than the player HP it makes a lot of sense, most soft wearable armor probably shouldn't give 100% resistance. Player hit points already defy any kind of realistic flesh damaging model, so there's that too.

BTW, the actual "potential damage" that goes into the formula is also affected by weapon range, a lot of peashooters are probably only going to do significant damage at point blank.
Sort of but not really. Each piece of PA (arms, legs, torso, helmet) have their own HP, affected by type, model, and a certain coating mod. They offer massive boosts to all your resistances, above and beyond anything remotely possible with normal armor--a full suit of Heavy Combat armor when totally modded out is still barely equivalent to a single piece of decent PA. When you take damage, the PA also takes damage. When a piece reaches 0 HP it breaks, requiring repair in your garage and denying its benefits.

So it's still basically just damage reduction, but it sort of reflects that difference, and fits with the design philosophy they went with where there's a firm distinction between "worn" armor + personal weapons versus PA in terms of how much is needed to maintain it. The Gatling Laser falls into the same "high-maintenance" class; it doesn't break down, but it uses fusion cores as ammunition, the same thing that powers PA.

Problem is, between the relatively common nature of fusion cores, the fast-travel "feature" of not draining energy, and the perk+bobblehead which reduce fusion core drain, it's not really a hassle and you're not going to run out of cores unless you are literally sprinting around the map killing everything with a gatling laser.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: November 20, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »

While initially I was pretty doubtful, some of the touches of having the protagonist voiced are nice. Having him comment on things outside of normal conversations sometimes works pretty well.

For example, in the questline associated with the Salem museum,
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 462