Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829648 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #3840 on: November 19, 2015, 10:52:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: November 19, 2015, 11:01:02 pm »

Well, I just died to what I assume to be a bug* and lost about 45min of dungeon crawling hell, with no less than three mini-bosses on the way.

Autosaving saves salt everyone!

*plasma grenade blowing my char through a wall, which killed me, or atleast thats what it looked like, since when it went off the main damage was the loss of a limb or two, then about a second later I died with the enemy in a spot relative to me to have been unable to shoot me...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: November 19, 2015, 11:15:19 pm »

You mean you don't save every 2 minutes? Please.
Whenever I crash/die, I only lose a couple minutes of progress at worst. Usually less than a minute.

Consequently, roughly 50% of my HDD is save files. I regret nothing at all.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: November 20, 2015, 12:30:42 am »

Meanwhile, in reasons to not talk somewhere dangerous...
Haha, nice.
It's always funny when a full-scale gunfight breaks out in the background while you're talking to someone, too... or you get jumped by a horde of ghouls whilst cooking some grilled radroach in the stewpot. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: November 20, 2015, 12:44:39 am »

girls dont care if you use other woman for procreation....
Well there's a rather large problem with procreation with women in that I am a woman. Unless you know something I don't?

Where are you hiding the secret to homosexual reproduction??? Is it 3D printing babies??

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: November 20, 2015, 12:47:39 am »

Couldn't you do that thing like what they do with cloning? Moving around cell nucleii into different cells I mean.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: November 20, 2015, 12:54:24 am »

Well, I did make a post already. But I've kept trying to play because I spent 60 dollars and didn't want to feel like it went to waste (I got a refund (well he said it would be accepted) from talking to support chat/email, but then they decided NAH no refund too many hours played lol. oh well, guess its a huge lesson for me to never buy first day or pre-order no matter what company is behind the game (as bethesda is generally one of my favorite gaming companies)

Onto my final thoughts (really final this time lol)

Maybe its just me, but I thought Skyrim was vastly better. I also think Fallout 3 and new vegas were way better too. But Skyrim being newer than NV...

Skyrim takes about 25-30 minutes to get from one end of the map to the other if you don't stop and follow the roads. Like solitude to windhelm takes me 20-30 game time to get to it, but I don't use a horse. The number sky rockets if I DO NOT ignore bandits, but this is just running and sprinting ignoring everything. And that is only from city to city.

Fallout 4, I can get one end of the map to the other in 10-15 minutes, while following the roads AND being distracted by stuff (but ignoring mutants). And that is from starting in Sanctuary and going into Diamond City

Fallout 4 map feels WAY smaller than Skyrim.

Fallout 4 does also feel like it has vastly less content than Skyrim, comparing vanilla vs vanilla (taking no mods into account).

Skyrim, I can get so lost by the millions of possible dungeons, side quests, or doing random cr@p

Fallout 4, building a settlement is cool, but speaking of mods, Skyrim and fallout 3/NV has a WAY more USEFUL settlement building mod. In fallout 4 it feels like it doesn't really have any use, AND in fallout 4 if you build too many defenses the AI doesn't attack you (at least in sanctuary). Feels very secondary, and Skyrim's building mod(s) and Fallout 3/NV feel vastly superior and vastly more useful.

But, fallout 4...feels...like...I don't get lost at all in what I want to do or not do. There is barely anything to do compared to Skyrim or even fallout 3 or new vegas. That was why I liked older Bethesda games, they FELT vastly more sandboxy than fallout 4 does. I think this is where I'm not liking fallout 4 and where it doesn't feel right to me. While skyrim is more of a sandpark (or whatever you want to call it, since it isn't really a sandbox, but not a themepark game)...fallout 4 feels like a themepark game to me with an open world.

That doesn't even touch the lack of RPG feeling fallout 4 has (which I think I posted in my thoughts before), and I don't like FPS games, and fallout 4 feels way too much like a FPS game (which in fallout 3/NV was fine cause it had tons more RPG stuff). And a number of other issues.

But the key thing for me is, all of Bethesda's previous games felt vastly more sandboxy to me, where as fallout 4 is like playing a themepark game with an open world.

Maybe just me that sees it that way, dunno, everyone is different. But it is the very first Bethesda game that I've been disappointed by.

On the other hand, my friend is LOVING fallout 4 and compares it to borderlands all the time...which I really didn't like borderlands...but thats just me :P its not my type of game :P But I do see it being compared to that a lot, especially by console players. If it is indeed like borderlands (to be honest never played it, I already know from watching videos I'd not like it at all), no wonder I'm PERSONALLY greatly disliking fallout 4 lol. (edit: I should say, my friend doesn't even LIKE RPGs, only fps and RTS games, he hasn't ever liked one single RPG. Which to me since I know him personally, speaks for itself that he likes fallout 4 so much lol)

And also as a sidenote, it isn't even because I played Witcher 3 before hand. I never really got into Witcher 3, I think skyrim is better (definitely my opinion on this one) simply because witcher 3 has vastly worse modding capabilities and skyrim's modded is vastly superior to witcher 3 for me (again my opinion lol).

I'll be going back to playing modded Skyrim and witcher 3 (I do like it if I could play a female lol) once a playable ciri mod is out (if there ever is one)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:01:50 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: November 20, 2015, 06:08:46 am »

Skyrim takes about 25-30 minutes to get from one end of the map to the other if you don't stop and follow the roads. Like solitude to windhelm takes me 20-30 game time to get to it, but I don't use a horse. The number sky rockets if I DO NOT ignore bandits, but this is just running and sprinting ignoring everything. And that is only from city to city.

Fallout 4, I can get one end of the map to the other in 10-15 minutes, while following the roads AND being distracted by stuff (but ignoring mutants). And that is from starting in Sanctuary and going into Diamond City
Point of order: you're comparing literally one corner of the map to the opposite side versus one corner of the map to (roughly) the center. A more accurate equivalent would be Vault 111 to the Glowing Sea.

Fallout 4 map feels WAY smaller than Skyrim.
I mostly agree. That said, a lot of Skyrim's map was taken up by functionally impassable mountains, water, and parts of other provinces which you couldn't enter, and you can literally go off the map in FO4 in a certain place. Though to be fair the other way, like 1/6th of FO4's map is mostly water. I'd say that it feels smaller because it is smaller.

Fallout 4 does also feel like it has vastly less content than Skyrim, comparing vanilla vs vanilla (taking no mods into account).

Skyrim, I can get so lost by the millions of possible dungeons, side quests, or doing random cr@p
This I don't agree with. FO4 is smaller, but it also feels much more content-dense. Certainly you could wander around for 20 minutes in random places in Skyrim... but most of Skyrim was empty terrain. The dungeons were same-y, there were no random encounters, and the sidequests were finite. In FO4 it's basically impossible to wander for more than a couple minutes without finding something new, getting into a fight, or seeing something interesting. I've got 72 hours logged with FO4 and I've barely explored half of the map, and maybe ~20% of the interiors. By comparison I've got 94 hours logged with Skyrim and not only have I explored the entire world and ~75% of the interiors (meaningful ones, that is, not shitty little one-room houses that you have to load into), but I've actually created and played around half a dozen characters to decently high levels.

So I'd say that FO4 is superficially smaller than vanilla Skyrim, but that it has a lot more packed into the space it does have. There aren't any giant fucking stretches of wilderness in FO4, and there aren't any highly vertical urban environments in Skyrim. Neither is a judgement.

Fallout 4, building a settlement is cool, but speaking of mods, Skyrim and fallout 3/NV has a WAY more USEFUL settlement building mod. In fallout 4 it feels like it doesn't really have any use, AND in fallout 4 if you build too many defenses the AI doesn't attack you (at least in sanctuary). Feels very secondary, and Skyrim's building mod(s) and Fallout 3/NV feel vastly superior and vastly more useful.
If you're talking about the FO3/NV mod I think you're talking about... hah. That mod's got exactly two things up on FO4's vanilla building, and that's being able to clip objects into terrain a little + raiders spawning on the edge of your territory.

sandbox
Eh, that's down to opinion, I think.

Personally I love FO4 for being a better FPS, because FO3 and NV were both fucking atrocious as far as combat went. They even went out of their way to include an option *cough*VATS*cough* that is much more of the stat-reliant combat system that it once was as opposed to the press-pause-to-win we got in 3 and NV.

IDK, I guess I don't really get the mentality that defines RPGs based on crunch rather than fluff--that is, that thinks something is an RPG because it has lots of numbers rather than because you're creating a person within the framework of the dev's world and then deciding how they behave and interact with others. A less shit combat system is something that should complement that, not detract from it, because it broadens what you can do with your character. In that regard FO4 is the best RPG Bethesda has made for years, because not only are there multiple viable approaches to combat, but you can also almost totally avoid it with a CHA-centric build which talks down enemies and allows you to do a near-total pacifist run or be a manipulative ass.

Don't tell me that people haven't been whining since forever about RPGs which force every character to spend some time being a murderhobo regardless of their personality.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:15:13 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:16 am »

Couldn't you do that thing like what they do with cloning? Moving around cell nucleii into different cells I mean.
Yup.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: November 20, 2015, 08:21:35 am »

Personally I think the main problem with Fallout 4 is that its plot doesn't really fit the game.
I mean, it does the Skyrim thing where you get a new quest roughly every time someone within five miles blinks, and throws distracting combats at you every three steps, but it starts you off with a highly personal plotline that pretty much screams at the emotion centers of your brain to "do this now"

I mean, yeah it loses its urgency after about 5 main quests or so, but that's still a lot of game that any serious roleplayer will be more or less forced to spend doing one specific thing.

Personally I think it would have worked better if they dumped the kid thing and just made your main goal...pretty much the minutemen quests. I mean, they spent all this effort making copying this world building mechanic and then just shove it into the side-yest of sidequests.

Don't get me wrong, the plot is technically on the good side, it just isn't good for the game they made.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: November 20, 2015, 09:02:54 am »

So Bay12, does the wall keep you free? Does it keep out the enemy? Is the enemy poverty? Do you have work while they have none? Is your work ever done? Is the war ever won?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: November 20, 2015, 09:47:32 am »

Yeah, the personal nature of the plot is kind of annoying. It would honestly almost make more sense to completely remove Shaun from the picture--he and your spouse died in cryo with all the others, and there's nothing special about the PC. Thus, whatever the PC does after leaving the Vault is their way of coping with the various losses they've suffered. You can still hook the player in to everything, up to and including Nick Valentine's rescue and infiltrating the Institute. There's your various ways in:

1. Independent Route: Piper and Nick want to investigate, you start working with them.
2. Minutemen Route: Institute are a threat to Wasteland stability and progress; they send you to stop the Institute from kidnapping and replacing people or scattering kill-bot synths around.
3. BoS Route: BoS see the Institute as a threat to them and want to wipe them out (include or not the whole synth-genocide thing). They order you to infiltrate and destabilize the Institute.
4. Railroad Route: Railroad people want to help free more synths faster. They ask you to infiltrate as another Railroad contact on the inside.
5. Institute Route: You come in contact with the Institute during one of the above, or possible on your own, and decide to join up with them legitimately to help maintain their supremacy and further their goals.

Each route would have a couple different endings based on how you approached it, and events from the other routes would still occur (albeit in different ways and at different times in the plot) despite your absence.

But instead we got another super-urgent plot stuck inside a slow-paced sandbox.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: November 20, 2015, 10:32:19 am »

Really, there's no way for the protagonist to know their son is missing. The kidnapping could, for all they know, be a dream. Their spouse is dead, but so is everyone else; the cryopods malfunctioned, after all. People focusing on the plot could interpret it as the SS still believing the "dream" was real; I mean, it is real, but 200-year-old them has no way of knowing.
Black lives matter.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: November 20, 2015, 10:50:24 am »

I finally got to the point where you meet "Curie", and I got curious about the voice actor, since the french accent seemed fake to me (as a french myself). Turns out she's actually from Venezuela, and although her mother is french and she speaks french fluently, she's also fluent in english (so the accent IS most likely fake).

Speaking about the quest where you meet her :

About the main quest, my own roleplay is that I'm convinced that years have passed since the abduction - which I don't actually know for sure so don't spoil me about that - and so there is no actual urgency, rather my character wants to build up his power so that he can succeed in dealing with the issue and provide a secure home for his son. I just ignore him when he tells people that his son is a 1 year old infant.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:17:09 am by Sirian »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: November 20, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »

I was trying to understand the new armor mechanic, with Damage Resistance, it's a function and no longer a flat %.

Anyway, I plugged the formula from the Wiki into some online math chart thingy and got this:

(this is for a Weapon Damage of 1. For a weapon damage of 10, just multiply both the Y (Damage) and X (DR) by 10, and so on)
If I understand this properly, up to about 15% of DR there is no effect (so, a dmg 100 weapon vs DR 15 armor or less would ignore armor). Then it quickly climbs to 50% of DR, where it halves damage (same example, dmg 100 vs DR 100 means half damage) with diminishing returns the more armor-to-damage ratio you have. To get down to one-quarter damage, you need over 6 times the armor (so, dmg 100 vs DR 665 or so).

This is without perks on normal I think. Enemies get from double to half damage (after calculation) depending on diff. level.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad reflection on how real world armor works. For RPG/ish purposes I guess it's alright.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 462