Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829991 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Occiderunt, Diripientur, Redii
« Reply #3630 on: November 17, 2015, 04:21:05 pm »

Inb4 we see a kickstarter for Pip, a fancy new minimalist wristband to carry your phone around!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: November 17, 2015, 04:28:36 pm »

So, I've found a good idea for a mod that shouldn't be too hard for me to make once the modding tools come out. Less accurate artillery. As it is, after the first two or three shots, long bombardments have little use, except for locking down a small area, such as a gate. If you make it less accurate, then if you have enough artillery you can take out an entire base, and do widespread damage. I could even make different smoke grenades. White smoke for a single, well calibrated shot that will hit almost exactly where you land your smoke. Blue smoke for a long, inaccurate bombardment that beings quickly, but only has one or two shots that land immediately. Green smoke for an inaccurate bombardment that is not immediate, but uses MRSI to land multiple shots in a really short period of time, for eliminating enemies before they can get to cover.
You could also have different types of artillery. You could have cluster rounds, which would probably work similar to the MIRV. Guided rounds, which would take down specific enemies. Maybe have different rounds that do less overall damage, but do extra damage to limbs. Pulse and plasma rounds, for more damage to stuff like robots.
Since different objects can create different resources (Like water purifiers creating water), it might be possible to create ammo stockpiles that produce a small amount of a specific smoke grenade at different times, so you can't create pulse artillery without having the high science skill needed to fabricate those rounds.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: November 17, 2015, 05:22:24 pm »

New Vegas would have been much better if Obsidian had enough time to finish the post game content, a la Broken Steel. But they didn't. :'(

They never were going to do post-game content AFAIK. The game actually has a story that makes sense, so an event that changes the face of the world would actually have to change stuff.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: November 17, 2015, 05:23:46 pm »

I meant the "X time units later" aspect but I get what you mean. A few new quests, slightly different looks of some areas and utterly broken other places (RIVET CITY) does not a good postgame make.
Black lives matter.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: November 17, 2015, 05:40:31 pm »

PS: About water stuff, I had heard Beth DID make some underwater stuff - that's why the Aquaboy perk is a thing.
However, I found no suggestions or evidence of that in-game. Didn't explore much under water, though.

There is a flooded quarry somewhere that - based on how long it took a submerged lift to rise to its top/surface port - is pretty damn deep. There is a simple quest to re-activate a pump when I first found it, but completing the quest didn't empty the quarry. I haven't been back there to see if it has emptied over time, but based on my experience with the submerged areas in the water treatment plant, I'm somewhat doubtful.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: November 17, 2015, 05:47:20 pm »

PS: About water stuff, I had heard Beth DID make some underwater stuff - that's why the Aquaboy perk is a thing.
However, I found no suggestions or evidence of that in-game. Didn't explore much under water, though.

There is a flooded quarry somewhere that - based on how long it took a submerged lift to rise to its top/surface port - is pretty damn deep. There is a simple quest to re-activate a pump when I first found it, but completing the quest didn't empty the quarry. I haven't been back there to see if it has emptied over time, but based on my experience with the submerged areas in the water treatment plant, I'm somewhat doubtful.

If it is the same quarry I've been to, then it does empty eventually.

There's also another quarry I found with a minor underwater section, with a unique weapon at the end.

Also learned the hard way the power armour is not buoyant. Useful perk if you spend a lot of time in armour and don't want to die due to a misstep.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: November 17, 2015, 05:54:56 pm »

As long as you never need to use two hands for it, sure. You'd look right silly when calling someone with it, as well.
bluetooth headset.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: November 17, 2015, 06:04:26 pm »

As long as you never need to use two hands for it, sure. You'd look right silly when calling someone with it, as well.
Wait so you don't put it on speaker and talk to it like those old cartoon wrist communicator?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: November 17, 2015, 06:10:55 pm »

A small probably non-spoilery thing I discovered not long ago.
Apparently you do not drown when using power armor. But you cannot swim either.
But walking under water is kind of interesting.
As far as I know though..  Bethesda have not done much about under water stuff.
A shame really.

Well there's a couple of random things you can find underwater, and at least 1 quest that requires a bit of diving. But generally, Aquaboy is more of a low-tier quality of life choice of perk since it's nice not to get radiated by water and not having to worry about breath. Mostly, it'll allow you to cross larger gaps of water without getting radiated like a mo-fo so you don't need bridges so much after getting it.

Technically you shouldn't drown so much as suffocate. If you don't drown in the armor this means it's airtight, and unless the producers unanimously decided to develop indefinitely-operating oxygen recyclers for all the suits you will run out of air sometime.

Well I am not talking about a real-life power armor.
Just the in-game kind which I did not seem to experience any drowning or indicators that I might run out of air.

Power Armor has an air supply of around 20 minutes. I tested it when the first raider power armor I encountered fell into the water and got stuck. Took him around 20 minutes to start losing health.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: November 17, 2015, 06:30:38 pm »

20 minutes huh? Well that seems like plenty of time to explore a bit and return to the surface.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: November 17, 2015, 07:07:20 pm »

20 minutes huh? Well that seems like plenty of time to explore a bit and return to the surface.

Yeah but you're horribly slow and so far I've found nothing except random scrap down there. If you really want to explore water, Aquaboy is a lot more useful than Power Armor.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: November 17, 2015, 07:10:02 pm »

If you can get over the slow movement speed - which is slower than walking overencumbered on the PA - then be my guest.  :P [Ninja'd]

And did anyone notice how easily companion's on PA's lose their parts? They probably take more damage due to their level not being the same as the player or something.
It's better to just put them on a clear frame so they can carry more and don't instadie on their constant falling off bridges, highways and rooftops, and don't cost you aluminum, circuitry and steel every time you go back to dump your loot. (Problem with that is if you find a new frame you can't put them in and bring back to base quickly, so when exploring I leave them with no PA)

I played 80% of the time without PA, only started using on level 40+ or something. But damn, they make things go much smoother.
And of course, you always look badass, and when someone threatens you, you can't help but lel.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:12:51 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: November 17, 2015, 07:34:25 pm »

Yea, I found out the hard way that power armor still makes you drown. That's also only if you have the full suit on and stay in the full suit the whole time. If you get out or remove a piece while under water, you will drown a lot faster.

Anyway, as for reviews, I'd say the story is better than most Bethesda games, but still not great.
Spoiler: Story spoilers (click to show/hide)
I do like the new dialogue system, and the UI takes a little getting used to, but it's actually not bad. I see people complaining about the dialogue choices being dumbed down or Mass Effect-like, but let me put it this way: So far, I haven't run into a time where choosing a different dialogue option resulted in my character saying the same thing. I ran into that all the time in Mass Effect.

I wish there were a few more options when it comes to building settlements, but that's my only complaint there. Another thing I miss from NV was being able to craft ammo. With the new crafting system, you'd think I'd be able to turn all of these components into bullets. Guess I'm gonna have to get a mod for that.

The map isn't as big as I thought it was going to be, but that's alright. It's chock-full of locations and extra goodies, so it makes up for it. The perk system was one thing I thought I was going to hate, but ended up growing on me. It kind of discourages min-maxing and puts emphasis on things like Charisma and Luck, which usually fell by the wayside in earlier games. There are a few bugs, such as sending companions to a certain settlement putting them in an inaccessible room, or children still counting as hostiles even though you can't kill them.

I overall enjoyed the game a lot, and am still enjoying it on a second playthrough. I'm definitely going to be modding it heavily later, and I'm guessing so will a lot of people, but I also look forward to seeing what they'll do with official DLC. Doing something else with the Memory Den might be fun, or putting more reasons to visit the Glowing Sea. In summary, I still love Fallout, I still love Bethesda, and I look forward to the future of the franchise.

I played 80% of the time without PA, only started using on level 40+ or something. But damn, they make things go much smoother.
And of course, you always look badass, and when someone threatens you, you can't help but lel.
My character is level 38, and I haven't been without power armor since level 25. I look like a lady Space Marine, too, with the Vault-Tec paint giving me extra Charisma so I can go around telling everyone to shoot their friends instead of me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: November 17, 2015, 07:38:46 pm »

It's sort of interesting, actually, how binary the combat is. Either you go all-in on VATS and push Luck to 9 and pump all the VATS=OP perks, or you go all-in on live-action combat and pump the various damage+, resistances+, and sprinting perks, maybe with a dash of power armor.

Incidentally: Not only do item containers respawn after sufficient time, so do pre-placed items in the world. I've gone back to places I cleared very early on and found the exact same arrangements of items in the exact same places and numbers, which I know I looted the first time around.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3644 on: November 17, 2015, 07:48:10 pm »

My main tactic in close-quarters seems to have boiled down to 'pop psychojet like crazy and run around with a Combat Rifle headshotting everyone to death'.

But I've been playing on Survival Difficulty, which seems to keep the game actually challenging. Early levels you die a lot if not careful without power armour, which you have to use sparingly when needed (Mostly those early 'wipe out massive raider base' Minuteman missions). Pushing level 20 and I can take on Raider's fairly confidently via tactics (Sneaking, Sniping, Grenades and Mine placement, weaken and wean them out before the final quick-rush-psychojet-rifle Coup de grāce), but Super Mutants and the like are still a major risk (Which since apparently they are major-nerfed compared to previous games, is just returning things to what I'd consider 'proper').

As someone who thinks RPG games should be 'Early level is desperate bid to survive the harsh world, High level is GOD OF THIS WORLD', this pleases me :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:57:54 pm by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 462