Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830864 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Bad Bugs and Gutbusting Glitches
« Reply #3315 on: November 13, 2015, 08:34:50 pm »

He thinks fallout 4 is actually further back in time than new vegas.

Even farther back? New Vegas is the second farthest forward game in the series after 4, taking place in 2281 (40 years after Fallout 2 and 120 years after Fallout)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:32 pm »

They're...All in chronological order, I believe. I dunno about Tactics and BoS, but the others are all a straight line through time. No prequels.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: November 13, 2015, 08:47:27 pm »

So, is there any different dialogue depending on your SPECIAL attributes and what-not?

...Okay, I mainly just want to know if the voice actors do "HURR DURR ME SMASH NOW"-type lines for if your INT score is 1. Otherwise I will probably create a female character when I get the game, just so I don't have to listen to the same voice actor saying the same things again.

Luckily enough the character I created on my friend's PC fitted the voice pretty well.
The character I'm planning on making when I play the game for real, not so much.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: November 13, 2015, 08:48:33 pm »

Overall, I like the game a lot. Especially because Power Armor now actually feels like being a goddamn wasteland Terminator.

One thing that bugs me to no end is the whole building aspect tough.

First of all, it's just not possible to build a half decent looking Fence / Entrance in most locations. The collision is such a massive Diva in terms of distance, so you allways have little or big gaps. You also cant tilt any of the stuff you place, so you have a lot of floating stuff that's just bad on the eyes. You cant properly clean up  a lot of locations either. Most grievous of all:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm also kinda dissapointed in the Settlements in general. I see no practical reason in building up more than one location and making that one your homebase.

What I need, is either a no collision mod in Building Mode, or just straight up overhauls of the locations themselves. The vanilla one just doesnt work properly they way I want it to.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: November 13, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »

Spoiler: Cat Lady (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: November 13, 2015, 09:23:35 pm »

Yeah, it's it's not like there was a smooth, easily accessible map/base-building system with optional collision off for objects in a AAA game back in 2010, on console no less. If they'd literally just copied the mechanics from Halo Reach's Forge that would have been great. Hell, even Halo 3's Forge, even if that meant having to glitch every object into the map geometry by hand and constantly redoing it when the alignment wasn't quite right.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: November 13, 2015, 09:24:38 pm »

So, is there any different dialogue depending on your SPECIAL attributes and what-not?

...Okay, I mainly just want to know if the voice actors do "HURR DURR ME SMASH NOW"-type lines for if your INT score is 1. Otherwise I will probably create a female character when I get the game, just so I don't have to listen to the same voice actor saying the same things again.

Luckily enough the character I created on my friend's PC fitted the voice pretty well.
The character I'm planning on making when I play the game for real, not so much.
I think someone in thread confirmed there are alternate voices for being drunk at least. And I know firsthand that taking Psycho makes you go RAWRG in a hilarious over the top way.

Anyone else use the Ghoulish perk? Was the first one I grabbed and...I haven't noticed it actually doing anything tbh. The third rank of Life Giver on the other hand is AMAZING. I was walking around with 60 some stimpacks without noticing it :P

Oh, had a pretty crazy moment awhile back. Saw a raider in power armour and saved. Then got hit with a mini-nuke. Then got hit with a mini-nuke again. And again. I was so scared because I had saved after they launched it. And I was over encumbered.
On the third reload I managed to open the pip boy and pop some jet and med-x, plus some healing items to boot. That let me escape a direct blast with a sliver of health so I could get behind a building and regen.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: November 13, 2015, 09:29:25 pm »

That's why you only quicksave once everything is dead.  :P

Gotta say, though, Life Giver + Solar Powered is pretty OP. Just walk around on the surface and anything that doesn't kill you outright will go away after a while. Of course, even on Hard/Very Hard you still find so many goddamn chems that you never need to worry anyways; I'm at ~level 30 and I've got about two hundred stims and one hundred Radaway in my inventory, and every encounter/area usually increases that by a net of ~2-4 combined. Once I get to the point where I get honest prices, those stims are buying all my expensive shit.

3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: November 13, 2015, 09:49:50 pm »

Oh, had a pretty crazy moment awhile back.
Those fuckers are terrifying.
It's awesome. I love all the little raider settlements you stumble across. I almost died repeatedly at the very edge of the game map before I gained some sense and ran the fuck away. Good times.

I'm increasingly tempted to borrow $20 off my mother and just buy the game myself, rather than waiting for my friends to split the cost with me.
Then I wouldn't have to feel bad for hogging the game, either.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: November 13, 2015, 09:51:56 pm »

The raiders are the stupidest goddamn part of the game. Generic horseshit humans who have no backstory and no reason to exist who attack you even in situations where that makes zero goddamn sense. New Vegas's closest approximation is the Jackal gang, and they have backstory, coming out of Vault 15 along with the more successful NCR and Great Khans and appearing in Fallout 1. Raiders in Fallout 3/4 are just idiotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: November 13, 2015, 10:03:46 pm »

I wish you could gather your own little band of raider buddies. :(
They don't make a whole lot of sense, though- on the one hand there would be plenty of violent folks taking advantage of a lawless wasteland and killing people for no reason, but on the other hand they all inexplicably look and act the same. I suppose it's more a matter of not wanting to invest the time into making hundreds of unique little raider gangs when the player character is just gonna stomp the shit out of them on sight anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: November 13, 2015, 10:14:45 pm »

Oh, just now started hearing the drunk conversation stuff. One of the "skip" phrases is "right on brother" and that alone got a chuckle out of me.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: November 13, 2015, 11:06:45 pm »

Does anyone know how to send companions back to their old locations?

I sent Piper to the gas station once and now I can't figure out how to get her back home to her sister.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: November 13, 2015, 11:15:37 pm »

Great. I tried to post and my internet went crazy. So now I'll just go on it by sections:

The raiders are the stupidest goddamn part of the game. Generic horseshit humans who have no backstory and no reason to exist who attack you even in situations where that makes zero goddamn sense. New Vegas's closest approximation is the Jackal gang, and they have backstory, coming out of Vault 15 along with the more successful NCR and Great Khans and appearing in Fallout 1. Raiders in Fallout 3/4 are just idiotic.

Even though all the raiders are named Raiders, there's at least, usually, a named leader. And some of those bands "work together" (in a background story way, not a game-mechanic way) or know each other.
I don't pay attention enough to those things, but when you find terminal with personal logs on raider camps, usually they tell of named people, so there's something more than just..nothing.
It's not great, but at least it's something.  :P

Does anyone know how to send companions back to their old locations?

I sent Piper to the gas station once and now I can't figure out how to get her back home to her sister.

Just tell them to move, and on the location selection screen, press Tab. It's very counter-intuitive, since it says that it will cancel the action..but it actually sends the follower back to their original place.
I have to do this on Codsworth since Sanctuary Hills is full. The game don't let me send him there, which is even more counter-intuitive and probably shouldn't work that way.

About items and encumbrance: I really think they should give us a different flare gun that calls in a hauler or something. Just so you can dump stuff to be delivered to your homebase on the run.
That way I don't have to go back to a settlement every time I strip a building of clutter.  :P

About Settlement Attacks: So, finally the day has come in which I got attack on Sanctuary. Here are some details on the AI:
- People climbed into Power Armor by themselves. My shitty one, that was sitting beside my main one. Go figure.
- People rang the Siren closest to them. I have 2 Sirens, and that actually helped me to locate where they were invading from. It also made every NPC go into combat mode. I'll probably put one or two more since Sanctuary is huge.
- They invaded from 2 fronts. I have two gates (bridge/vault), so they came after my Vault Gate, and from a small-fenced area which I let poorly defended on purpose, exactly to see if they would try to flank there. Turns out they did.
- Beth should make it so settlers reload ammo on their own. No use handing them superbly modded laser guns if they're simply gonna keep using a pipe gun.  ::)
EDIT: Actually, both of my power armors were taken. And both helmets were "stolen" by the settlers who took them. Guess it's time to move them to Red Rocket ¬¬
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:01:36 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: November 13, 2015, 11:29:02 pm »

The worst part about it is that in 4, if you look and listen carefully, a lot of the raider groups have specific motivations, are humanized, &c. ... but none of that is translated into mechanics, they all still behave as mindless killbots without even the common sense to run away from the dude in power armor that just pulped most of their friends.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 462