Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831479 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: A Bethesda Game
« Reply #3120 on: November 11, 2015, 05:21:54 pm »

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: November 11, 2015, 05:25:29 pm »

Oh, and I've been meanings to ask. I'm not from the US, and I've heard twice (in different places) that people from Boston are more aggressive than other places.
Is this true, and could this be the reason of why most people are aggressive ("I'm not your friend", "Quit wasting my time!") than in other games? That could also explain why the Negative dialog option includes an insult/rudeness most of the time. Or maybe it's just on the beginning.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, though. But I was wondering.  :P

My one travel experience to Massachusetts showed me that:

-They're really foul mouthed. God they love to swear.
-They act like New Yorkers when it comes to traffic. I.e. they have zero patience and swear profusely over small annoyances, despite living an driving in a mostly idyllic pastoral countryside.
-They like to fight.
There's a reason they're called Massholes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: November 11, 2015, 05:30:34 pm »

-They act like New Yorkers when it comes to traffic. I.e. they have zero patience and swear profusely over small annoyances, despite living an driving in a mostly idyllic pastoral countryside.
You kidding? We are about twice as bad. The unspoken speed limit is posted+30 instead of +15, and dont even get me started on the police when it comes to driving. They seem to think that the speed limit for them is posted+50.

Also, there is no such thing as tailgating. Its 'efficient road usage'.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: November 11, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »

You kidding? We are about twice as bad. The unspoken speed limit is posted+30 instead of +15, and dont even get me started on the police when it comes to driving. They seem to think that the speed limit for them is posted+50.

Hear hear to that. I was on 81 to Watertown once and my poor little truck literally couldn't keep up with traffic. I was doing over 90mph.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: November 11, 2015, 05:40:10 pm »

I can't comment on the speeding. I just remember riding around with a dude from rural Massachusetts and he'd flip out over the smallest thing, the smallest delay. I consider myself a fairly angry driver for the "Polite As Fuck Midwest" but even I was like "Shit dude, are you going to rage at every little thing?" Guy in front doesn't run a red so he's in front of you at the stop light? "You fucking bastard." Guy drifts slightly close to the center line while coming the other direction? "Watch where you're going to you piece of fucking shit." Guy driving the speed limit? "Hurry up you slow fuck." Guy less than a car length off your bumper? "Yea do it motherfucker, I dare you."

And then he'd proceed to cut people off in traffic, pull out in front of them and then lean out his window to swear at them. 0.o

And this was rural Massachusetts. By comparison I felt pretty at home driving into Boston itself, but that's because I like to speed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:41:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Massachusetts Driving Habits
« Reply #3125 on: November 11, 2015, 07:06:41 pm »

Anyone done The Lost Patrol Quest? I can't seem to figure out how to finish it.

EDIT: Found it! Finally!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:23:32 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: November 11, 2015, 07:29:53 pm »

God, whats even worse than being in traffic in Massachusetts is trying to walk places where there arent sidewalks.

Although, trying to get an international truck onto a highway is rather hair raising, particularly the older ones.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: November 11, 2015, 08:01:37 pm »

so, im the last to deny the flaws of this game. building especially. hell, my desk has fresh bite marks and we need a new cat baby.
still, since i knew of the e key its workable, and the imagination of scraping all the crap again and building all that stuff again keeps my ocd in check so i dont restart because i think i could do a slightly better build.
bottomline is, these dudes reviewing the game bad are morons and proably havnt played it a lot. it has its flaws, but its still TONS of fun.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: November 11, 2015, 08:20:04 pm »

I think I've played long enough to give my impressions.

I like this game. I was prepared not to and was fully expecting to stop playing after a few hours like with Fallout 3 but it does a lot of things which I think are great, though obviously it has many flaws as well.

However, I'm not going to talk about the flaws because I think in the grand scheme of things, they don't really matter due to how nitpicky they are.

What I am happy about is that I like that Bethesda had some balls and decided to not just be "Fallout" for the sake of being Fallout. As in, they didn't just try to reskin Skyrim with guns as it were. Nor did they do their stupid little shitty attempt at mimicking the Fallout of yore like they did with Fallout 3... where they basically hoped just getting the correct atmosphere would be enough to please fans of the series while completely screwing over everything else. No, Brotherhood of Steel are suddenly super good guys shit. No SUPERMUTANTS R EVUL. No Enclave for the stupid reason of there must be Enclave and they must be evil.

Instead, here is a game titled Fallout but is very much its own thing. It charts its own path and this path is very fun. They're not trying to be Fallout for the sake of being Fallout any more. They've come up with an interesting and novel premise and they put a lot of love into what can ostensibly be called their own brainchild. You can see all the attention to detail in every location and every place you go to. I'm enjoying exploring this new world they've crafted. I like how they've matured the stories and plots. I especially love how much attention they put into all the companions (they have so much lines of dialogue!). It's like they've learned to unshackle themselves from trying to be what they're not and we've all profited from that.

If you look at my history, you can see I've been critical of this game from Day 1. But I'll happily admit they did a good job here and I'm happy for it. This game is very good. It's not perfect, but it's still marvelous.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: THE HYPE TRAIN HAS REACHED ITS DESTINATION
« Reply #3129 on: November 11, 2015, 08:22:07 pm »

Settelements definitely have some weirdness in them. In my case, Sanctuary stopped receiving new people and stopped at 7 for many hours. I even setup another beacon to see if the effects stack.
I have beds, food and water to support 14+ people, around 35 defence. No one wants to be my slave friend.
I've setup a supply link to the farm-settlement nearby to see if I can put a beacon there and if people will spawn in it.
I'm 1 level from building shops, it will be really sad if it doesn't work anymore. I'll have to build other settlements, recruit people there, and move them all to Sanctuary.
I don't really understand it either. I did what you did. I made a bunch of radio towers and asked everyone to move to Sanctuary. Now there's 21 people in Sanctuary and 10 everywhere else. I think the game just dice rolls after a certain amount of time to see whether you get a new settler or not. By the way, stacking radio towers don't work. I did it at Sanctuary and it didn't do anything.

With the other places, they'd be at 0 or 1 for the longest time. Then I'd do something for a bit then check and it'd be 6 out of nowhere and I have to rush there and build a bunch of stuff.

Hey, I forgot to thank you for the heads up. Was on the phone and couldn't post right so I gave up.
What I think that happens, is that your beacon covers a small area of the map. If you listen to the Recruitment Beacon Radio, it's very short-ranged. So, I'd speculate, having one in Sanctuary is almost useless since there's nothing around there.
So I think it's balanced and understandable if that's how it's supposed to work.
What did make me a little sad, is that there seems to be "Radio Boosters" stations - you hack the terminal and tell it to boost radio signals, so you can hear distant signals. I found that really cool, but I'm not sure if it has an effect on Recruitment Beacons. I'd be really happy if it did, just for "realism" and "You Are Changing The World™" reasons.

I'm also curious if giving water to random Settlers around the map have any effect on you, your settlements, or anything.
I know we're all adults, but I don't believe karma is really gone. There has to be something watching over us all.  :'(

EDIT: I also agree with your above post. FO4 gives me a much more authentic feel than FO3 did, and a greater "Wanderer" vibe than both FO3 and NV.
As you said, the flaws are very nitpicky and can be fixed. I'm having so much fun with silly stuff like "Hey, why there's a hole here?" and then a fucking legendary ghoul comes out of it, making me jump from my chair.

I wonder how many "scares" people are getting. I already counted 5. They were really SPECIAL.
PS: I don't think the game TRIES to scare you. But I always play fallout with eyes everywhere except the center of the screen (looking for loot and secrets), so I'm always EXTREMELY distracted.
PS2: Yesterday I said the sentence "WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCKING FUCK THE FUK DOGMEAT GO" as 3 Mirelurks came out of the ground. That fucking borrowing noise, man..
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:29:08 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: THE HYPE TRAIN HAS REACHED ITS DESTINATION
« Reply #3130 on: November 11, 2015, 08:52:13 pm »

-stuff-
Ya. the only major flaw I have with the game is the dialogue wheel but it's not really a deal breaker. I mean, they designed the entire game around it so what would the alternative be anyway? And they probably also did it to save on voice acting costs, which I can also understand. Not that there isn't shittonnes of voice acting to begin with.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: November 11, 2015, 08:52:36 pm »

The more i read about FO4 the more i feel the game is actually more of a spiritual sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. than a Fallout game.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: November 11, 2015, 09:05:49 pm »

Yeah, I've said it before, but that's one of the points they did really well on: all the random scares, surprises, and laughs.

I randomly found a guy called Mac running a tiny bar on the lower level of a section of that giant highway in downtown Boston because I heard him talking to himself. I alerted an entire store full of ghouls and got swarmed because I accidentally got too close to one of those goddamn jump-scare monkey dolls with the glowing eyes. I found Han Solo cosplay gear. I fought a giant supermutant wearing a chunk of a swam boat as armor.

IMPORTANT PSA RE: DOGMEAT:

If he goes missing, especially if you sent him to a settlement, there's a doghouse hidden away in a corner of Sanctuary that he goes to, preferring it over any additional ones you build. I only managed to find him when I teleported myself to him.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT PSA RE: QUICKSAVE & LOAD:

If you quicksave and quickload, land mines can disappear. This takes two forms. Bad = A mine you triggered before quickloading is no longer present in the world. Worse = A mine you triggered or did not trigger (not certain of the conditions) before quickloading is still present in the world but is invisible.

So the tl;dr: Don't quickload because Dogmeat nudged you onto a mine you were trying to disarm, either it'll go away anyways or it'll blow you up again.

Unrelated, I found the best companion in the game at Fallout Fight Club. Cage fighter. Irish (I think is what it was intended to be) accent. Smokin' hot by Bethesda standards, with an added streak of drug addict. Main personality traits: violent, assumes you want her around as eye candy. Almost makes me regret taking the solo perk.

I also got super-lucky with a random legendary and got a 10mm pistol which increases crit damage and how much crit you gain per hit.

The more i read about FO4 the more i feel the game is actually more of a spiritual sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. than a Fallout game.
That's sort of what I've been thinking to myself, actually. All it's missing is lean keys.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: November 11, 2015, 09:21:03 pm »

I am having a lot of fun with the game, but I still think there's a hilarious disjunction between the supposed urgency of the main plot and the fact that Bethesda really wants you to stick around, build settlements and go exploring.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dialogue wheel is... interesting. I mostly go for the affirmative/negative responses because otherwise my character will typically say something odd or do a REALLY bad joke.

I'm wondering at the romance-able companions, now that I think of it, which includes some light spoilering for the intro of the game:

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: November 11, 2015, 09:31:15 pm »

Got this game yesterday- for the PS4 because I don't have a computer capable of running anything later than 2005-, been playing a lot today. So PTW.

Also:
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 462