Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831111 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: THE HYPE TRAIN HAS REACHED ITS DESTINATION
« Reply #2940 on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:06 am »

So I finally got the game up and running...and turns out I CAN'T RUN THE GAME.

HOORAY FOR THROWING SIXTY DOLLARS DOWN THE TOILET BECAUSE THE LOWEST SETTINGS INCLUDE ANIMATING ALL INTERNAL ORGANS HYPER REALISTICALLY AND MY MACHINE HAS THE COMPUTER EQUIVALENT OF CANCER.

I'd probably issue a steam refund and get money back in my steam wallet account (I assume refunds go into steam wallet). I recommend doing that and spending it on another game.

I haven't launched the game yet, but my PC is good so I doubt I'll have issues. but if I had an outdated PC and found out the game couldn't run on lowest, I'd get my money back.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: November 10, 2015, 01:54:25 am »

lol i knew the name of the vault 101 overseer (i remember it starting with a vowel and being ludicrously european for fallout)

L-ludicrously? ...But most of America's names are European! :'(
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: November 10, 2015, 01:55:09 am »

Meaning not generically western european. Greek, IIRC.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: November 10, 2015, 02:43:39 am »

Tips for performance for my bruddahs:
1. Set to medium presets under launcher.
2. Go borderless window, set to screen resolution
3. Disable or set godrays to low
4. Go to fallout4prefs.ini in documents/my games/fallout4
5. Set iPresentInterval (or something like this) to 0
6. Save and make read only.
7. Attempt launch and to tweak settings to your liking, go unset read only on prefs and tweak. Remember to ensure present intervals is still 0

Hope this helps, gotta sleep cuz stoopid work.

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: November 10, 2015, 03:43:38 am »

Okay, general impressions after 3.5 hours playing:

1. Seems to be relatively well-optimized and bug-free. I've been playing with all settings maxed out and haven't suffered a single drop in framerate, which has stayed very smooth. No CTDs. No floating rocks/trees or holes in the world. There's only been one thing at all buggy, but that's a bit of a spoiler on a fun little encounter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Dialogues are improved. People have more expressive faces and move their bodies when talking. Cutting to the third-person camera helps with the old corpse-stare as well. However, eyes are still dead-dead-dead, and the mouth-flaps occasionally bug out.

3. I was right, power armor is fueled by power cells. Thankfully neither they nor replacement armor panels seem too rare; I've found two more suits apart from the initial one and 5 extra cores just wandering around randomly.

4. JESUS FUCK DEATHCLAW SCURRY.

5. Creature combat is generally improved by the burrowing. I tried to cheese a Giant Radscorpion with a cliff, but it burrowed to the top from the valley it was in. Q.Q

6. Ghouls got the revamp they needed. They look much better, and ferals are scarier to fight.

7. Doge is a bit annoying, tends to stand in your way (as per usual). The whole "lead you to treasure" thing is a mixed bag; I've had him find stashes of good loot, but I've also had him lead me to random baseball bats and safes I've already found but can't open.

8. They definitely did better on the little things. I've found lots of funny, quirky bits and bobs that aren't in-your-face about it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9. It's kind of awkward having the scroll wheel control both first/third person switching and scrolling through loot.

10. Loot lists display armor/weapons with plus marks when they're better than what you have equipped. Neato.

11. Weapon modding is pretty deep, but requires a shitload of scavenging. Now you've got a reason to carry around ten thousand bits of crap! Adhesives are especially valuable.

12. You can store stuff in the workshop inventories, I'm pretty sure that they're persistent.

13. The new layering of the rad-meter over the HP bar is great. Also the UI element color being a RGB slider set instead of a couple presets.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: November 10, 2015, 03:49:15 am »

So four stars?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: November 10, 2015, 04:07:29 am »

Yep, played for 2 and a half hours and I agree with you Flying Dice. It has all the goodness we expect it to have.

- I didn't bump into anything bad, except some awkwardness like with controls: F used to change camera, now it opens Favorite menus, and that sort of thing.
Construction is a bit awkward and the menus could be better, but damn, I like it. First thing I do is plop 3 boxes so I can get ready to organize my loot. Also, a bed.
And I'm still not sure how the map is scaled overall, but I bumped into a trader's cottage, an old truck filled with radioactive barrels, a group of raiders sleeping and a Settler asking for purified water. One at pretty close distance to another, not the kind of thing you'd see in Fallout 3.

- I'm also playing at Very Hard and it feels so adequate. I never thought Bloatflies would be scary. Not sure if I can play like this for too long though.
Gun play and sounds are so much better. My first firefight against 5 raiders was pretty tactical and intense due to the difficulty. Not sure what will happen once I get Science Rank 4 and my modded Plasma Shotgun.

- I still don't understand the "The new dialogue system IS UTTER SHIT!" I've seen around. It makes you use the arrow keys..so what?
I'm really enjoying the new animations and the dialogue options and reactions. You try to be a smartass and the person's body language and face already says everything it needs.
Having the voiced character is so cool.

- Having the ability to scrap everything does make the game feel..different. I'm not used to playing Fallout and thinking "After I do that, I'll come back here and build the next floor. I also need to scrap some cars. Dogmeat, stop fucking around with the Mole Rats and find me some materials!"

All I know is that I want MOAR

EDIT: Forgot to mention that when I launched the game it didn't even recognize my graphics card. Except for some minor weirdness with either shadow or antialias around actors, it's working well on a Medium-Low setting. I only get below ~24FPS when effects like smoke, fog or the crazy lighting kicks in.
But I seriously love it - will probably have to play it all over again once I change the card.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:11:14 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: November 10, 2015, 04:17:19 am »

I still don't understand the "The new dialogue system IS UTTER SHIT!" [...] It makes you use the arrow keys.
~24FPS
C'mon man. :-\

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: November 10, 2015, 04:24:46 am »

Hey, I'm sleep deprived, so take it easy on me.  :P
And it's at low FPS because of my graphics card. I'm actually surprised it's that high.
Then again, I'm not playing with everything off as I should..

Oh, and the arrow keys..I get its a nuisance. But I thought they could be remapped. They can't.  ::)

I forgot to mention that being able to melee enemies with the ranged weapons is really cool - and useful if you like to get close like me.
On Very Hard saving the seconds you'd take to change weapons can pretty much mean less 60% damage you take that day.
I also find it very satisfying. The interrupts are also really neat.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: November 10, 2015, 05:38:53 am »

Looking at some lets plays I notice that you can grab things from containers without actually "opening" them as far as a little GUI window is concerned, making it much quicker to rummage around. These kinds of intuitive improvements look great. To that extent the "streamlining" away from its RPG roots isn't something I'm totally against. A lot of classic RPG features are very clunky and don't translate well for modern game players. The art design is a major leap forward from anything I've seen Bethesda put out so far. The initial 20 minutes of the game are pretty darn astounding.

That said, I can't see myself buying this for quite a few months, once it goes on sale and the modding scene has started to boost the difficulty and survival elements.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

YaW

• Bay Watcher
  • CremaGames
    • View Profile
    • CremaGames
« Reply #2950 on: November 10, 2015, 06:04:18 am »

Hey, I'm sleep deprived, so take it easy on me.  :P
And it's at low FPS because of my graphics card. I'm actually surprised it's that high.
Then again, I'm not playing with everything off as I should..

Oh, and the arrow keys..I get its a nuisance. But I thought they could be remapped. They can't.  ::)

I forgot to mention that being able to melee enemies with the ranged weapons is really cool - and useful if you like to get close like me.
On Very Hard saving the seconds you'd take to change weapons can pretty much mean less 60% damage you take that day.
I also find it very satisfying. The interrupts are also really neat.

Man, I'm loving that melee detail so much, can't believe more game don't implement something like that. It's a little sad the game is less RPG than ever, but shooting is fine for me and I'm having fun, so...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: November 10, 2015, 06:08:48 am »

Woot! BFEL is gonna get a new computer today, so I guess I WILL get to play this after all! Though I MIGHT have to wait for the refund I stupidly applied for earlier to go through, because I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to throw the cash into my steam wallet instead of back on the credit card.

Because I'm apparently retarded.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: November 10, 2015, 06:17:05 am »

There's even different melee animations depending on what you have on your gun. The quick-loot is really nice because all bodies and containers still have the old style as an option via 'r', which pauses and lets you see what components items break down into. Personally, even with the arrow keys, I like the new system. Much less of a pain in the ass than the old dialogue screens were, TBH.

Orchestral music radio station is great.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, durability/condition is gone. Your armor and weapons are good forever. Thank fucking goodness.

Also also, bobbleheads are in. They aren't just for SPECIAL stats, either, I found one which was called "Repair" that permanently increases how long my power armor fusion cores last for.

Did find one bug, of sorts. When doge is already at maximum carrying capacity and he tries to pick up something to show you, he vomits his inventory all over the ground.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:20:09 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: November 10, 2015, 06:26:58 am »

runs great with 6gb system ram 2gb vram, tho i had to reduce texture resolution manually to high as autosetup put everything on ultra.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:52 am »

Looking at some lets plays I notice that you can grab things from containers without actually "opening" them as far as a little GUI window is concerned, making it much quicker to rummage around.

Yep. One thing I absoluted hated on Skyrim (and solved by getting the "backpack" mod or something, that lets you craft satchels..and also by Autoharvest mod) and Fallout 3 (Didn't care much back in that time, though. Earlier days) was how easily you could get encumbered and how opening every single thing would pause the game.
I'm not getting stressed at that in FO4. Thanks the lawd they did that little window thing.

Also, they must have balanced the items' weight. It takes a while before I get encumbered, and then I can still dump stuff on companions.
Since you can define where you drop from fast travel on your settlements, that means you can fast travel right beside a "Loot Drop-Box" and be ready to get back to adventuring in no time.
(Just to clarify: 'Loot Drop-Box' being a box you built right there, nothing special. I usually dump stuff in such a box, and then when it's crafting-time I do the inventory sorting, scrapping, and all that.)

I'm still very early game, but I'm enjoying it. The things that really bored me seem to have been minimized.

....fucken Ninja'd by Flying Dice, which made me remember that the music in the game is so much better than on FO3 or NV. Both on combat and outside of it.
FO3 was full of awkward moments and silences both during combat and outside.

About Durability, I'm not sure how I feel about removing it completely. It DID piss me off because I think it was unbalanced and annoying back then, but I was hoping for a component-damage sort of thing. Like, your stock needs repair because you melee'd too much. Or the barrel gets damaged. Etc. As long as you didn't have to repair it at every 10 minutes, of course.

And that Doge Bug seems glorious.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:31:21 am by Gabeux »
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 462