Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830885 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Dogmeat confirmed main antagonist
« Reply #2835 on: November 08, 2015, 10:22:37 pm »

Well, the thought of downloading a 30gb game on university bandwidth just makes me want to puke, so I just bought a physical copy.

I mean, you can pick it up in store at midnight (if you are lucky), so you could have done that.

How many DVDs is that, and does it actually install from them? I ask because I pre-ordered Skyrim on DVD back when that came out, and then the DVD's installer just downloaded it from Steam instead of copying from the DVD. Of course, it turned out to be crashtastic anyways, so I never should've pre-ordered it in the first place. 6-9 months later or so, I ended up borrowing the XBox 360 version and eventually finished that (along with getting all the achievements) - the steam version was still unplayable as far as I could tell. (Works fine now, though! Years and years later. With fan patches.)

yup, you will still be forced to install through steam. won't be any different than skyrim.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: November 08, 2015, 10:32:13 pm »

Yeah, from what I heard the DVD will have some data on it, but it will still download probably 20GB of stuff from Steam.
Same guy said it was to prevent piracy, which doesn't make any sense to me.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: November 08, 2015, 10:40:26 pm »

There were already cracks up yesterday, or so I've been led to believe.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: November 08, 2015, 10:52:58 pm »

That's f*'d up.

With so many leaks and people breaking NDAs, I wonder if Beth will be so open to the community again?
I was really liking when no info was going around and that they announced it as sort of a surprise, near the release. Then it became the usual post 2010 modus operandi of giving copies and access to people who'll just leak it.

Then again, if this wasn't Fallout I wouldn't be disliking it. Usually the more info is out, the better, so you can decide if you can buy it or not.
In my case, I was going to buy it anyway, so I can pretend I care about NDAs being respected and that leaks are bad for everyone.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: November 09, 2015, 12:33:28 am »

To be fair, AFAIK it was only up on semi-exclusive sites, the sort where everyone with access has to have been invited by another member, and someone fucking up means that whoever sponsored them gets burned as well.

That, and all the streams on streaming sites (as opposed to people streaming on their own sites) were quickly taken down.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: November 09, 2015, 01:33:07 am »

Supposedly bad folks are dumping spoilers into youtube comments and steam discussions, so probably safest to keep off those for the next couple of weeks.

Yep, not "Supposedly", but people are going out of their way to simply go "Hey I just watched a stream of a dude finishing the game and...".
Good thing I'm a ninja when it comes to closing my eyes and pressing CTRL+F4.
I wonder if those people even played any of the Fallout games in the first place.

Here I am wondering if I can craft a continuous-beam weapon and if I could hit anything with that from a vertibird, and people are actually wanting to spend whole days watching streams before launch for some unknown reason.
It's stops being about fun, creativity and games and starts going into a very stupid path that not even usual trolls trail.
What do you mean "I don't like spoilers"? Everyone loves spoilers! They're just too tsundere to admit it ;D

No but seriously, you think this is something particularly new? Have you forgotten the infamous "Snape kills Dumbledore"?
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: November 09, 2015, 02:05:23 am »

Cracking is basically a competition at this point, there's a number of different groups and they all try to get their cracks up first. This is often before the actual release date. I find it pretty cool, although I don't really approve of piracy (maybe because I don't approve of DRM, either)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: November 09, 2015, 02:56:01 am »

With so many leaks and people breaking NDAs, I wonder if Beth will be so open to the community again?

Here is kiiind of the thing about Leaks. The majority of the time the company leaks the information on purpose and pretends it was an accident. USUALLY to gauge interest.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: November 09, 2015, 03:03:03 am »

Cracking is basically a competition at this point, there's a number of different groups and they all try to get their cracks up first. This is often before the actual release date. I find it pretty cool, although I don't really approve of piracy (maybe because I don't approve of DRM, either)
Don't forget the "you must download the game from the Internet using our launcher with incredibly low download speed, even if you bought the physical copy" bullshit. It never hurts the actual pirates, who get their games fast and clean, it only hurts the legit customers, which have to struggle with "anti-pirate measures" which actual pirates don't really face.

Sadly, because there aren't any "video game player unions" or "friendly-to-players video game developer companies", no one is going to do shit about it (the best candidate, Stardock, that proposed a model of "we make games too good to pirate", broke its own rules by releasing Elemental: War of Magic in an incredibly buggy state, and has been going downhill since then).
._.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: November 09, 2015, 03:08:05 am »

Was Bethesda really all that open with "the community"? All everyone got was a couple of teasers that answered very little about the gameplay. It doesn't surprise me at all there were so many leaks.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: November 09, 2015, 04:31:10 am »

What if.. The leaks were intentional in order to generate more hype?
And all the takedowns are because it backfired and they are trying to save face in some way or another?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: November 09, 2015, 05:19:43 am »

Nah, even if they are intentional leaks they still have to send takedowns and such both to keep up the facade that it is a leak and because it makes sense from a marketing viewpoint - people want what they can't have and having the internet scramble to find working links and keep one step ahead in spreading the videos generates more hype than just releasing them outright.

I think.
Love, scriver~

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: November 09, 2015, 05:33:47 am »

What if.. The leaks were intentional in order to generate more hype?
So... Beth tells all the big game review websites with large audiences that they're not allowed to publish reviews or anything until the day before release, but then gives a bunch of random people almost no one's ever heard of the game so they can advertise it instead. That probably makes sense... somewhere.

But it is perhaps entirely unlikely that people might use their connections with managers at various game stores and warehouses to get the game early and then gloat about it all over the internet because absolutely no person in this world is unscrupulous nor a show off. Only game publishers are evil, after all.

Meanwhile, no one talks about how the nearly blank game discs Beth's been selling are actually relay antennae for the ZeniMax orbital mind control device which will brainwash everyone into thinking Fallout 4 is a masterpiece superior to the original in every way, shape, and form. This is the only reason anyone will say positive things about the game.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: November 09, 2015, 05:45:10 am »

Meanwhile, no one talks about how the nearly blank game discs Beth's been selling are actually relay antennae for the ZeniMax orbital mind control device which will brainwash everyone into thinking Fallout 4 is a masterpiece superior to the original in every way, shape, and form. This is the only reason anyone will say positive things about the game.

Your hat seems very nice. Where I can get one?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: November 09, 2015, 05:48:58 am »

TF2 crates, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 462