Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830750 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Dogmeat confirmed main antagonist
« Reply #2805 on: November 08, 2015, 04:57:18 pm »

It could just let them flee until they get far enough from you to escape, but give you the opportunity to shoot them in the legs to stop them or something.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: November 08, 2015, 05:01:22 pm »

What I thought when they talked about settlements, is that you could recruit them after they surrender, or use them Shadow Of Mordor style - telling them to go back to their main camp and telling people to fuck off, or forcing him to reveal some location.
With the new systems in place which props can be easily placed and removed, dynamic camps shouldn't be impossible.

Of course, I always take it too far. But it should be doable. Except it's unnecessary, I guess.
(If I wasn't so lazy, I'd probably make mods)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: November 08, 2015, 05:05:23 pm »

Honestly if the settlement system is as great as they are trying to make it look... I will take back all my meh about this game.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: November 08, 2015, 05:16:54 pm »

Man, now I'm convinced the settlement system is going to be a huge letdown. It seems more likely than Neonivek taking back his criticism on a game :P

(jk, srsly)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: November 08, 2015, 05:24:00 pm »

I for one find it great that they finally implemented something like it. To me it was obvious since Morrowind (didn't play it, but watched someone else play for a while) something like that should be implemented.

However, if anyone tried Real Time Settler mod for FO3 / FONV, I don't think it will be too much broader in scope than that. Except for the vanilla-supported code, of course, and working in a non-awkward way. Which, to me, is good enough. And also the Minecraft-Redstone-like computer and electrical systems - I wasn't expecting that at all.
So I don't think it will be too extensive. Then again, I read somewhere that a beta tester was worried people might "exploit it" (the settlements), so maybe my expections are actually too low.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: November 08, 2015, 05:26:03 pm »

We're still 11 pages to go. Don't think we'll reach the goal. Damn leaks.

From the streams I've been watching, CHA looks super-OP because those "chance of surrender" perks look more like "100% chance of surrender".

The wasteland is your friend. ALL of it.

Do enemies finally surrender, like for real? I never understood why they can flee from combat and then attack you 5 seconds later in both TES and Fallout.
Would be cool if you could get to surrender and they really never mess with you again. But then the game would have to handle what to do with an unamed random npc that is hostile to every other faction (which should be in the budget, right?).

Basically what happens is this:

1. Point gun.
2. If you have the relevant perk, shout a silly one-liner.
3. Target goes neutral.
4. If you have enough points in the perk, aim at something else and hammily shout "FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL, KILL!"

If any survive, then you shoot them. You can also just make them go neutral so that you can line up a headshot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: November 08, 2015, 05:28:50 pm »

In all fairness I did always say I wish they made it so you could play well with any build...

And they did EXACTLY that... All 10 level builds are equally super effective. Especially luck which sounds absolutely scary.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: November 08, 2015, 05:50:51 pm »

I just want to be able to make a crit-centric build which doesn't force me to use lasers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: November 08, 2015, 06:42:24 pm »

Or BB-guns. :P At least I vaguely remember showing me a video of someone shooting up The Tops with a BB-gun and usually plinking off people until they got a crit headshot.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: November 08, 2015, 06:46:46 pm »

Things that make you S.P.E.C.I.A.L.:
Reading comments on Youtube. I think I need a stimpak applied to my brain.

I'll stop reading anything Fallout related outside this forum until next week.
I guess that's what happens when you bring a true PC game to the consoles.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: November 08, 2015, 07:02:42 pm »

Supposedly bad folks are dumping spoilers into youtube comments and steam discussions, so probably safest to keep off those for the next couple of weeks.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: November 08, 2015, 07:05:35 pm »

God, the last ten or so pages were hard to read.

"I saw one leaked video and now every game Bethesda has ever made sucks major balls."
"You liked Skyrim? Fucking filthy casual."
"Hey guys look at me, I'm agreeing with everyone! Like meeeee!"
"Oh yeah? I'm disagreeing with everyone! Hate meeeee!"
"I think dogmeat is a robot."
"I think everyone's a robot."
"Bethesda sucks, Bioware sucks, everything sucks."
"You like Bioware? Go back to your fucking anime dating sims, weeb!"

Do you guys even realize how inconsistent you are? You were all praising Bethesda since page one, hyping the game to shit, and then suddenly some footage gets leaked and you're like "Wah! The game isn't completely perfect! I hate everything! Bethesda is Satan incarnate!" *Kicks holes in walls and throws temper tantrum*
Then it's a day before release and you all suddenly switch back to "This game is gonna be so awesome, you guys! Let's pick out builds ahead of time!"
Y'all make me sick. Bay12 usually tries to make itself out to be a bastion of sanity in the midst of the bunch of whiny entitled jerks that make up the general gaming public, but you're all the same.

Games are meant to be fun. If you have fun with a game, it shouldn't matter if there weren't 15 dialogue options for every choice, or a few random graphical bugs. Did you have a good time playing the game? If so, great! If not, the game isn't your cup of tea. Not every game has to appeal to you.

Next time you go complaining and yelling about a game on a whim, but yourself in the shoes of one of the developers. You just poured your heart and soul into this game, and some random assholes on the internet are saying that it's completely terrible because it's not exactly what they thought it was going to be. They're yelling at the development team as a whole for being incompetent when they haven't even played the game yet. How are you going to feel? How is that feeling going to reflect in the next game you work on? Just because AAA developers are run by big corporations, doesn't mean the people who work for them are soulless machines. Think about that next time. Humans aren't perfect.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: November 08, 2015, 07:09:10 pm »

God, the last ten or so pages were hard to read.

"I saw one leaked video and now every game Bethesda has ever made sucks major balls."
"You liked Skyrim? Fucking filthy casual."
"Hey guys look at me, I'm agreeing with everyone! Like meeeee!"
"Oh yeah? I'm disagreeing with everyone! Hate meeeee!"
"I think dogmeat is a robot."
"I think everyone's a robot."
"Bethesda sucks, Bioware sucks, everything sucks."
"You like Bioware? Go back to your fucking anime dating sims, weeb!"

Do you guys even realize how inconsistent you are? You were all praising Bethesda since page one, hyping the game to shit, and then suddenly some footage gets leaked and you're like "Wah! The game isn't completely perfect! I hate everything! Bethesda is Satan incarnate!" *Kicks holes in walls and throws temper tantrum*
Then it's a day before release and you all suddenly switch back to "This game is gonna be so awesome, you guys! Let's pick out builds ahead of time!"
Y'all make me sick. Bay12 usually tries to make itself out to be a bastion of sanity in the midst of the bunch of whiny entitled jerks that make up the general gaming public, but you're all the same.

Games are meant to be fun. If you have fun with a game, it shouldn't matter if there weren't 15 dialogue options for every choice, or a few random graphical bugs. Did you have a good time playing the game? If so, great! If not, the game isn't your cup of tea. Not every game has to appeal to you.

Next time you go complaining and yelling about a game on a whim, but yourself in the shoes of one of the developers. You just poured your heart and soul into this game, and some random assholes on the internet are saying that it's completely terrible because it's not exactly what they thought it was going to be. They're yelling at the development team as a whole for being incompetent when they haven't even played the game yet. How are you going to feel? How is that feeling going to reflect in the next game you work on? Just because AAA developers are run by big corporations, doesn't mean the people who work for them are soulless machines. Think about that next time. Humans aren't perfect.
Who pissed in your cereal this morning?

I'm sure the developers are following this thread with tears in their eyes at every post.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: November 08, 2015, 07:18:06 pm »

@Alleecat
Bay12 is inconsistent because it's made up of many groups of people with differing opinions. The people who were bitching about Fallout 4 were bitching on the first page of this thread. It's just that the bitching seems louder because it's much easier to have a discussion based around a conflict ("Bethesda's shit!" "No it isn't!" "Yes it is!") then it is around an agreement ("This game is going to be great!" "Yep, I bet it will be!"). The reason for the switch is that everyone has something to discuss since the game just released.

The issue at the heart of all this "FALLOUT IS RUINED FOREVER" is that a lot of people have the impression that Bethesda is 'dumbing down' Fallout by removing it's trademark complexity. Whether or not that's true, there's a common perception that games that have actual systems of consequence are rarer these days. Again, whether or not that's true, it still affects the discussion.

Ultimately, people are complaining not because they want to hurt the developers, but because they think Fallout is going down a bad path and wants to avert it. This doesn't come from hate, it comes from love of the franchise: if they hated Fallout, they wouldn't care if it shit or went fishing. Unfortunately, it's very easy to slide from constructive criticism to bald insults.

I agree with you that the developer's feelings should be considered; don't go sending death threats and dial down the causticity until you play the actual game. However, just because you poured your heart into something doesn't make it immune from criticism.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: November 08, 2015, 07:22:49 pm »

Supposedly bad folks are dumping spoilers into youtube comments and steam discussions, so probably safest to keep off those for the next couple of weeks.

Yep, not "Supposedly", but people are going out of their way to simply go "Hey I just watched a stream of a dude finishing the game and...".
Good thing I'm a ninja when it comes to closing my eyes and pressing CTRL+F4.
I wonder if those people even played any of the Fallout games in the first place.

Here I am wondering if I can craft a continuous-beam weapon and if I could hit anything with that from a vertibird, and people are actually wanting to spend whole days watching streams before launch for some unknown reason.
It's stops being about fun, creativity and games and starts going into a very stupid path that not even usual trolls trail.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 462