Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830606 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: P R E L O A D I N G
« Reply #2640 on: November 06, 2015, 09:13:58 pm »

Again, 90% of games let you ask things that should be public knowledge. Some even lampshade this calling you stupid for asking such a thing.

Singling out New Vegas out for this seems misguided to me.
Because the player has to be told these things, and an info-dump at the beginning is... dissuading, particularly to modern gamers.  That's kinda why so many stories, even books and movies, star protagonists with amnesia.  It's a trope, but it's also super useful for catching up the players/viewers.

Here they had a perfect excuse for amnesia.  In fact I swear the dialogue, at many points, implies that the character doesn't remember things.  But nope, pointless word of god.  Nah... rejecting that.

There is no real civilians in the Legion.

From what I hear there are. They just never got around to adding it to the game.
Well there are all the slaves...
The tribes are off to the east, what we see is just a military camp.  For what it's worth, Cassidy sorta indicates that things aren't so bad for traders out there.  Which seems to clash with what the Legion ended up being, due to rushed development.

I am physically unable to play an evil courier.
Or evil lone wanderer.
Or an evil pretty much anything.

Courier especially, because there are so many fucking douchebags in the Mojave who need their shit beaten in.
I couldn't be too evil in Fallout 2 either because it mostly meant slaughtering useful NPCs.  Or working for the crime lords I guess, but they were dicks and I was already good from fighting raiders.

But in NV I was pretty much neutral.  I had strong feelings about some of the factions, because they were each interesting in their own ways, and dealt with them appropriately.
(Exception:  I held back from slaughtering the Boomers.  It's not their fault their air field was so fricken huge to walk across...  Also my brother likes them a lot.  Even though they're dicks who shelled me.)
(The Khans can screw right off though)

You're kind of really desperately grasping for an excuse here, from what I'm getting. It's fine to just not like the plot...
I don't think it's about that anymore, it's just really stupid that a dev would claim the courier doesn't have amnesia.  When everything in-game strongly indicates that the courier has amnesia.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: November 06, 2015, 09:18:19 pm »

Odd, I find the amnesia trope extremely cliched.

I disagree completely about being stupid to reject the "amnesia" justification. I think it breaks that overused mold and just lets you play whatever way you want.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: November 06, 2015, 09:19:24 pm »

Hard to know about the tribes, because we have no words on them except for the rants from Ulysses in LR, but slaves don't count since, to a slaving society, they are objects or akin to animals, rather than people.

I don't think it's about that anymore, it's just really stupid that a dev would claim the courier doesn't have amnesia.  When everything in-game strongly indicates that the courier has amnesia.
I think that's more of a personal thing, because at no point when playing have I thought the Courier might've had amnesia.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: November 06, 2015, 09:24:59 pm »

@Sergius
Sure, it's a common trope, used a lot.  But it's so useful that I really don't care.

And in my opinion they're doing the opposite of letting you play what you want.  They're giving you a backstory that your *character* knows, but you don't.  So it's sorta impossible to roleplay, because at any point a character could recognize you and say "Woah, I thought you hated the NCR!"

Yeah that's an extreme example which doesn't actually happen.  But Lonesome Road comes close.  It only makes any sense if you don't remember your original trip through the area.  The whole point of the DLC is for the Courier to find out that he/she did something horrible.  But *supposedly* the courier already knows that!  It's...  yeah I'm actually mad about this.  Not at you, that'd be dumb, just mad at the dev.  Again, I'm going to reject it...  And I've said enough on the subject.

Hard to know about the tribes, because we have no words on them except for the rants from Ulysses in LR, but slaves don't count since, to a slaving society, they are objects or akin to animals, rather than people.

I think that's more of a personal thing, because at no point when playing have I thought the Courier might've had amnesia.
Well, could be.  Maybe the game's vague, and I (and MANY people, to be fair) latched onto it as a clear explanation for various dialogue options.
Personally, I'm going to keep going with amnesia.  That doesn't make it canon, but still.
Ugh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: November 06, 2015, 09:25:58 pm »

I think it's quite ballsy for a game like Fallout to have a character with a backstory as the protagonist, to be honest. I dunno. Blah.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: November 06, 2015, 09:27:08 pm »

I certainly never thought the Courier had amnesia either. There's pretty much nothing that suggests this to me.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: November 06, 2015, 09:29:17 pm »

Yeah that's an extreme example which doesn't actually happen.  But Lonesome Road comes close.  It only makes any sense if you don't remember your original trip through the area.  The whole point of the DLC is for the Courier to find out that he/she did something horrible.  But *supposedly* the courier already knows that!  It's...  yeah I'm actually mad about this.  Not at you, that'd be dumb, just mad at the dev.  Again, I'm going to reject it...  And I've said enough on the subject.

But you can say Lonesome Road has shitty writing and railroading and is an exposition dump (I know a lot of people think this) without deciding that the entire game has "tons of proof" for amnesia, when it really doesn't, unless someone wants to interpret it that way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: November 06, 2015, 09:37:31 pm »

without deciding that the entire game has "tons of proof" for amnesia, when it really doesn't, unless someone wants to interpret it that way.

Well ultimately all you do in a game is interpret events that are shown to you.

But if you'd like "I" could go through every single piece of "evidence" that tells you that you have Amnesia.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: November 06, 2015, 09:39:27 pm »

without deciding that the entire game has "tons of proof" for amnesia, when it really doesn't, unless someone wants to interpret it that way.

But if you'd like "I" could go through every single piece of "evidence" that tells you that you have Amnesia.
While someone else would refute every single point, which would cause you to refute those in turn. While fun, that would kind of end up nowhere. Alas, such is life under hype.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: November 06, 2015, 09:40:21 pm »

While someone else would refute every single point, which would cause you to refute those in turn. While fun, that would kind of end up nowhere. Alas, such is life under hype.

What is there to refute? I will only state events. Interpret them as you'd like.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: November 06, 2015, 09:42:35 pm »

You can interpret events as are shown to you and arrive at a conclusion. Or you can start with a premise, and make the evidence point towards it. That's why I said "wanting to interpret it that way".

EDIT: If you want, state some events. But I recommend keeping the list short and sticking to it or it will never end.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:44:09 pm by Sergius »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: November 06, 2015, 09:44:10 pm »

You can interpret events as are shown to you and arrive at a conclusion. Or you can start with a premise, and make the evidence point towards it. That's why I said "wanting to interpret it that way".

Yes yes, your back handed way of dismissing my opinion. But either way there is a lot in the game to suggest you have Amnesia.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:45 pm »

Yes yes, your back handed way of dismissing my opinion. But either way there is a lot in the game to suggest you have Amnesia.

Neo, every post you make is you dismissing the opinion that the game doesn't suck or that the writing is not terrible. I don't know why you take offense at this.

EDIT: Since this seems to have struck a nerve I'm just going to drop it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:48:17 pm by Sergius »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: November 06, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »

It's Neo, dude.

That might be why I am so tender right now xD

It certainly made me quite depressed. So I'll apologize and drop the subject.

---

If there is one thing I don't like about Fallout 4, but it isn't an actual fault of the game, it is that some of the attribute abilities are so good that I kind of wish I could have more of them. I feel so naked without them.

I want it all!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:06:10 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: November 06, 2015, 10:21:51 pm »

The disagreement here might be because we had different experiences playing the game. Personally, I know that I thought my character had "amnesia" from the beginning of the game, and since I was roleplaying, I was choosing in dialog to ask what everything was, even if I personally already knew. You'd expect if you had your memory you wouldn't need to ask who the NCR is, for example, but the game gives you that choice. It effectively lets you roleplay an amnesiac protagonist.

If you weren't asking those questions, and were treating people like you recognized some of them, and the dialog supported that, then hey! Your character didn't sound like an amnesiac.

So... it's really up to the player.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 462