Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830527 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: /mbg/: manbutt general
« Reply #2505 on: November 05, 2015, 02:50:50 am »

I've been meaning to ask something, regarding difficulty.

Does anyone else plan to play it on the hardest difficulty, hardcore mode, and sticking to it if it's playable?
I haven't researched the info about how difficulty will work, but I played some hours of Fallout 3 a month or so ago and I'm pretty sure I punched a Deathclaw to death on Normal.
[It was on a random encounter on what probably was a low-level area, but still..I never saw that before, and it sucked.]

As long as it doesn't make settlement building impossible, I'm considering it.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: November 05, 2015, 02:56:31 am »

Was it your first time playing? It might not have been random: IIRC FO3 leads you to a grocery store where a "wounded deathclaw" ambushes you, but it's so weak that it's really not much of a threat at all (I ran in circles around a building for a few minutes avoiding it because AHHHH A DEATHCLAW). I'm not sure but I don't recall the normal ones being that much of a danger either, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: November 05, 2015, 03:12:52 am »

Does anyone else plan to play it on the hardest difficulty, hardcore mode, and sticking to it if it's playable?

Generally speaking if all a harder difficulty does is increase numbers on an enemy... I usually ignore it completely.

The only game where exactly that happened but where it was actually very interesting was Freedom Force... Because the higher numbers actually altered quite a bit more then just HP and defense.

I miss the days of old where harder difficulties would change enemy layouts... WHY THE FUDGE is a great feature from a bazillion years ago never done? WHY THE HECK aren't the higher difficulties in Fallout 3, NV, and 4 actually doing things like increasing the number of enemies, giving them better gear, and even adding tougher enemies earlier? That will always be the biggest WTF for me... it isn't even that much work.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: November 05, 2015, 03:31:28 am »

Was it your first time playing? It might not have been random: IIRC FO3 leads you to a grocery store where a "wounded deathclaw" ambushes you, but it's so weak that it's really not much of a threat at all (I ran in circles around a building for a few minutes avoiding it because AHHHH A DEATHCLAW). I'm not sure but I don't recall the normal ones being that much of a danger either, though.

Nope. I finished FO3 twice near its release, but back then I didn't try to maximize damage or build my character in any way that would made sense. Didn't go around trying to break the game too much either.
It was an encounter with a Deathclaw vs. Outcasts beneath a bridge, on the city ruins to the east of the starting area.
I also noticed that I could insta-kill Talon Company mercs, but going too much to the west made even their heads bulletproof.
What's funny is that I never noticed how bad that feels way back on release, because I was younger and in love with the game..so I just probably never fell out of the predicted/optimal path or something.
This time I was just getting my fix before FO4 and well, I guess I just discovered how naive I was 6 years ago.

Generally speaking if all a harder difficulty does is increase numbers on an enemy... I usually ignore it completely.
Yeah, I agree completely. Maybe it has to do with balance: enemy drops better gear sooner, so the player could just get that gear on Hard and swap back to Easy.
I'm not sure what would be the best way to balance that.

I remember playing some game that difficulty also effected enemy tactics, coordination, overall intelligence, agressiveness and "compassion". That sort of thing is what makes harder difficulty appealing to me.
I'm really hoping they do difficulty right. When I played FO2, I really sucked, but I liked how some encounters were easy while some were damn-near impossible because of my skills (or lack of them).
I wonder if that's what they are going for with the changes in SPECIAL, perks and all that.

I also suspect people must have discussed the hell out of those things in the last fifty pages and I'm just too late for the party.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: November 05, 2015, 04:36:17 am »

I haven't researched the info about how difficulty will work, but I played some hours of Fallout 3 a month or so ago and I'm pretty sure I punched a Deathclaw to death on Normal.
[It was on a random encounter on what probably was a low-level area, but still..I never saw that before, and it sucked.]

As long as it doesn't make settlement building impossible, I'm considering it.

I had a Plasma Rifle, mid level skill on FO:NV. Barely wounded deathclaws and they would rip me to shreds.

Fallout 3 was pretty weak. New Vegas was a lot of fun; similar difficulty to FO2.

I kinda screwed up at one point and ended up saving right before an Alpha Deathclaw ambush and it would one-hit kill me every time. I had to use a Stealth Boy to get out of that one.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: November 05, 2015, 05:02:55 am »

My only memory of Deathclaws in FO3 was sending them into orbit by getting them to jump at me from higher elevations so that I could crouch and shoot them from beneath with my Gauss Rifle.

NV, though, fuck that noise. Get 'em stuck on something and hope they don't glitch through before you kill them

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: November 05, 2015, 05:10:01 am »

Imagine Deathclaws with the strength of Skyrim's Giants.
That would be mildly interesting, don't you think?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: November 05, 2015, 05:13:01 am »

long as it doesn't make settlement building impossible, I'm considering it.

I don't think it would be likely to make settlementing more difficult. Perhaps more tedious though. To me it looked like we would be able to break down random stuff lying around into "building bricks", so to speak, and if there's something no bethesda game lacks it's random shit everywhere ;)

As for enemies you might face, they probably won't be any harder than in the rest of the game on hard, so of you can survive other parts of the game on hard then you will probably be able to survive whatever enemies, random or not-random, showed up in your door. I guess NPCs might not be as lucky.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this part of the game turns out, by the way. So far I've gotten the impression there will only be a fee spots you can choose to colonize (which I guess is sad but understandable), but I'm still very curious about how much freedom you'll have over the layout within those areas. Hopefully it won't be too strict.
Love, scriver~

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: November 05, 2015, 05:54:47 am »

I think that for the most part you are limited to building on the foundations of old houses, but probably one of the first mods added will add a few hundred of them.

And frankly, if someone does make a mod allowing you to build foundations anywhere, I hope they make it cost alot. Or take alot of time, or similar.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: November 05, 2015, 06:40:03 am »

Deathclaws on NV become rather puny with a shotgun and the "and stay back" perk, but then again, every melee critter does.

Anyway, regarding the EULA woes on Bethesda's rights on custom content, I think it'll only be applicable if said custom content is created with the provided toolkit, which isn't something new or unique to FO4. And it doesn't exactly mean Bethesda can just go "hey guy, nice content, mind if I sell it as DLC?", it just allows them to use it in advertising and whatnot, and prevents modders from selling that content.

EULAs are mostly legal, and so are arbitration clauses, too. An EULA is a contract that you expressively agree with to use a product. The real discussion on the legality of EULAs is that a lot of people think EULAs should be made more explicit BEFORE the consumer actualy pays for the product the EULA concerns, which isn't always the case. Arbitration clauses and courts have been recognized in the US and most of the world for quite a while now, so the legality of its decisions isn't really up to debate, its just that its handled differently in different parts of the world. In some legislations, decisions made by an arbitration court need to be validated by judge/court later to be applicable, while in a lot of other places, they're applicable by themselves, and sometimes there are even legal mechanisms that prevent it from being reformed by the judiciary, unless its in explicity violation of federal law or the constitution.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: November 05, 2015, 07:58:32 am »

Geez, yeah. Between Stay Back!, Shotgun Surgeon, and the sheer variety of shells available in 12ga, I almost never used anything else once I got a hunting shotgun, and I'm the sort of player who likes to ping things from the edge of the draw distance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: November 05, 2015, 11:44:27 am »

Launch trailer is out.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: November 05, 2015, 11:48:02 am »

There is no hardcore mode.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: November 05, 2015, 11:48:28 am »

B-but it's not launched yet!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2519 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:36 am »

Calling it now:

Spoiler: Main Plot Guessing (click to show/hide)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 462