Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830778 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: I Can't Think Of A Relevant Subtitle
« Reply #2415 on: November 02, 2015, 01:41:38 pm »

Sure, everyone was 'unique' in Morrowind, but they didn't all necessarily have anything special to do, or anything to do with any quests or the plot. They were just 'unique' in the sense that nobody was created randomly anymore, everyone had been made by hand, along with the dungeons and cities.

I imagine Morrowind's story's depth was probably helped by the fact that almost nobody was voiced, so the writers could presumably write as much as they wanted and revise it as much as they wanted, without worrying about voice actors having to re-record stuff they'd already recorded before it changed, or trying to schedule them all at the end of development, or whatever.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:24:44 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 02, 2015, 02:29:05 pm »

Fallout 4 has no level cap, and we’ve balanced the game to keep the content and challenge going for higher levels.
With luck this will circumvent older issues and dodge the problem of a wasteland full of supermutie masters and albino radscorpions.
I just hope it doesn't wind up with super-bland levelling/scaling like Oblivion. Or was it Oblivion I'm thinking of? Not sure, been so long since I played it. There are a few games which take all the fun out of progressing by having every enemy scale accurately to your level... not that that's a problem in itself, but it's very frustrating when the exact same foe that was just able to kick your ass in combat early on is still able to just kick your ass after you've gone and had a training montage/upgraded all your equipment or whatever. :P

Re: Leak: Do they know how it was leaked? It's always sad when stuff like this happens.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 02, 2015, 02:32:19 pm »

Fallout 4 has no level cap, and we’ve balanced the game to keep the content and challenge going for higher levels.
With luck this will circumvent older issues and dodge the problem of a wasteland full of supermutie masters and albino radscorpions.
I just hope it doesn't wind up with super-bland levelling/scaling like Oblivion. Or was it Oblivion I'm thinking of? Not sure, been so long since I played it. There are a few games which take all the fun out of progressing by having every enemy scale accurately to your level... not that that's a problem in itself, but it's very frustrating when the exact same foe that was just able to kick your ass in combat early on is still able to just kick your ass after you've gone and had a training montage/upgraded all your equipment or whatever. :P

Re: Leak: Do they know how it was leaked? It's always sad when stuff like this happens.

That was problem in Oblivion, yeah. Later on you'd find Minotaur Lords just roaming the wilderness in packs, bandits would be clad in daedric armour, and oblivion gates would have nothing but high-level demora and storm atronachs.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: November 02, 2015, 03:02:27 pm »

One of the items in the leaked content is a "bayoneted bolt action pistol" :D

I hope that means you can melee with it somehow.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: November 02, 2015, 03:39:37 pm »

That was problem in Oblivion, yeah. Later on you'd find Minotaur Lords just roaming the wilderness in packs, bandits would be clad in daedric armour, and oblivion gates would have nothing but high-level demora and storm atronachs.

God, yeah, that's the exact same issue as in FO3.

I'd honestly like to see a more roguelike approach to it, where increasing level/difficulty means that you see larger groups of more common enemies and more frequent appearances from rarer enemies alongside each other, rather than just turning the existing spawns from bandit_easy to bandit_medium or whatever.

e: HOLY SHIT THOSE VIDEOS DID YOU SEE IT? CONTAINER/BODY LOOTING THAT DOESN'T PAUSE AND OPEN ANOTHER SCREEN!

Also, I totally called it: You start with low SPECIAL scores can use perk points to raise SPECIAL them.

But jeebus the animations are bad. I hope this was from a leaked in-house build and not what's releasing in a couple weeks.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:11:08 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 02, 2015, 04:14:31 pm »

God, yeah, that's the exact same issue as in FO3.

I'd honestly like to see a more roguelike approach to it, where increasing level/difficulty means that you see larger groups of more common enemies and more frequent appearances from rarer enemies alongside each other, rather than just turning the existing spawns from bandit_easy to bandit_medium or whatever.

e: HOLY SHIT THOSE VIDEOS DID YOU SEE IT? CONTAINER/BODY LOOTING THAT DOESN'T PAUSE AND OPEN ANOTHER SCREEN!

Also, I totally called it: You start with low SPECIAL scores can use perk points to raise SPECIAL them.

I actually found it was actually pretty good in FO3, considering... right  until I installed Broken Steel, when all animals became Albino Radscorpions, all ghouls became Reavers, and super mutants became Overlords. Everything suddenly leapt into becoming bullet sponges that did huge amounts of damage.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 02, 2015, 04:18:17 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Don't know anybody who played FO3 but never got BS.

Okay, the good news from the leaks is that they're all XBone, which is why the graphics look like shit.

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: November 02, 2015, 04:18:46 pm »

Tbh a roguelike system would be no level scaling at all: just harder and easier areas. Don't really know how well it would work in a bethrpg, considering theyre infamous for "tangential side quests that lead you to the other side of the map" style of things.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 02, 2015, 04:20:35 pm »

Tbh a roguelike system would be no level scaling at all: just harder and easier areas.

Uhhh... a LOT of roguelikes have scaling outright. A popular example would be IVAN where enemies scaled directly to your HP.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: November 02, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Don't know anybody who played FO3 but never got BS.

It was pretty much the same without BS, but it was better than Oblivion. The level-of-area-locked-on-first-visit method meant that you could, technically speaking, go back to an area you've already been in and be superior to the enemies you faced before, but every new place you'd visit still suffered from bring scaled directly to your level the first time you got there. So you'd still get Super Mutant Pighead Raider Boombox Enthusiast Warlords and stuff like that.

Also about the leak videos: I am ridiculously in log with the wind up plasma rifle :D
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: November 02, 2015, 05:19:21 pm »

The new laser sounds are definitely an improvement over the old pew-pew toy noises, sounds like they did their research this time.

3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 02, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »

Eeeeee. Excited! :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 02, 2015, 05:23:58 pm »

The new laser sounds are definitely an improvement over the old pew-pew toy noises, sounds like they did their research this time.

In all fairness "Terrible scifi" does make "Pew-Pew" a lot more realistic to the source material.

Unless you mean "did their research" as in they found out what the 1950s laser sound effects were... technically the appropriate sound would likely be silent.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 02, 2015, 05:32:16 pm »

In all fairness "Terrible scifi" does make "Pew-Pew" a lot more realistic to the source material.

Unless you mean "did their research" as in they found out what the 1950s laser sound effects were... technically the appropriate sound would likely be silent.

Strictly speaking, that's only true for existing lasers used in real-life applications. FO lasers are fired in short, extremely high-energy bursts rather than continuous beams--the energy necessary for them to do the damage they do is such that you'd get a crack similar to what was in the leaked footage from air being heated along the laser's path.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 462