Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830524 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Charm Drugs with your Charisma
« Reply #2175 on: October 04, 2015, 11:11:34 pm »

Vault-Tec was international?
Black lives matter.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: October 04, 2015, 11:17:30 pm »

I don't think so, but other governments would have their own vaults no doubt.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 04, 2015, 11:24:09 pm »

We know that Tenpenny came from England, so by necessity some people must have survived the war.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: October 04, 2015, 11:29:46 pm »

Maybe they'd have, perhaps, actual major fallout shelters and not just horrible psychological experiments meant For Science? Possibly? :P
But yeah. How did he come over, exactly? Boat?
Black lives matter.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 05, 2015, 12:00:23 am »

Tenpenny embodies everything wrong with Bethesda writing.
Apparently a man managed to organise some way to cross the atlantic ocean in a low resource/tech post-apocalyptic world with no given motive. Decides to settle in the arse end of nowhere in a crappy pre-war hotel despite probably having extreme wealth and power. Demands the closest settlement (and possible only source of trade/customers) to be nuked because he's a caricature with no personality. Not a single person in the universe notes that this is odd.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: October 05, 2015, 12:10:57 am »

Yeah, it's stupid. Maybe he arrived on a plane. Actually, the theory that makes most sense is he just pretends to be English based on info from some old holotape. That's why he's a one-dimensional caricature. If you listen to his voice, he doesn't actually have an British accent.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 05, 2015, 12:25:51 am »

EVERY ONE OF PAUL EIDING'S VOICES IN FALLOUT 3 IS IDENTICAL AND NOT ONE OF THEM IS THE VOICE HE NORMALLY USES

what is up with that

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 05, 2015, 12:31:09 am »

Two or three people provide the voices for so many different named characters and they all sound pretty much the same
Black lives matter.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: October 05, 2015, 12:42:41 am »

That was a bit of an odd thing. The small number of voice actors wouldn't have been so apparent if they'd done different voices. Not even that different, this is an older man, this is a younger man, this man smokes a lot, this man really needs a glass of water etc etc.
Most of the characters seemed like they were mid to late 20s.

Maybe they don't have someone who's very good at giving directions to voice actors.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 05, 2015, 01:01:08 am »

In a way, I'd preferred the limited-voice work in Fallout 1 & 2 (indeed, of most RPGS of the period): the important characters would speak a bit so you could read the text in their voice, and every character sounded different. The worst offender for me was Stephen Russell in Skyrim. He was obviously capable of doing very distinct voices (like the talking dog), but he used the same really distinct hearty voice for at least a dozen NPCs. Voicework is supposed to increase immersion, but all too often it reiterates the falseness of the situations you're in.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 05, 2015, 01:02:42 am »

If you want to mention bad writing, anyone remember the original Fallout 3 ending? There is an irradiated chamber with a lever to pull. The radiation is lethal. If you ask your super mutant/ghoul/robot combination to do it, he says "nope, doing it is your DESTINY". So although the character has a companion who is immune to the radiation, he must go there and die.

I mean, what the fuck? That is the worst writing I have ever seen in a computer game and that takes some doing. They fixed this later, but it showed how crappy Bethes writers are. Some of the side quests in original Fallout3 were really nice - or more like things you could just find that were not part of any quest - but the main story was written by drunk monkeys.

So I expect Fallout 4 to have a completely corny and shitty main story, but hey, it can still be an entertaining game, as long as the ending isn't complete bullshit.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: October 05, 2015, 01:20:48 am »

Any large game is going to be written by a large team of writers, so there's always going to be some gems. The FO3 ending was dreadful railroading taken to the extreme.

Interestingly, the ending of Wasteland 2 is structurally similar...

Spoiler: Actual major spoilers (click to show/hide)

In Fallout 3 they needed the ending to be the fulfilment of the protagonist's arc, but this was a mistake because in a game about making choices, there should never be just one possible character arc for the player.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:08 am »

what if bethesda allowed you  to send a radiation immune companion at the very beginning without the dlcs or just to drop everything and bolt? i feel that if they would open these two simple choices to us then you cant possibly nitpick the ending. so would these two meaningless additions really would have turned the ending from abysmal to fantastic? (actual question)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 05, 2015, 05:39:34 am »

Absolutely. I know there are definitely some people that would love to see Purity explode, and not needing to pay for extra DLC before Fawkes will help you a second time sounds pretty good.

[Edit] Holy shit, Mothership Zeta is cathartic with an Energy Weapons character. 1HKO headshots with the alien pistols are amazing, and I get a OHKO sneak crit with the Disintegrator. <3
...I mean, until I get swarmed or encounter a turret.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:33:58 am by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 05, 2015, 12:21:33 pm »

If you want to mention bad writing, anyone remember the original Fallout 3 ending? There is an irradiated chamber with a lever to pull. The radiation is lethal. If you ask your super mutant/ghoul/robot combination to do it, he says "nope, doing it is your DESTINY". So although the character has a companion who is immune to the radiation, he must go there and die.

I mean, what the fuck? That is the worst writing I have ever seen in a computer game and that takes some doing. They fixed this later, but it showed how crappy Bethes writers are. Some of the side quests in original Fallout3 were really nice - or more like things you could just find that were not part of any quest - but the main story was written by drunk monkeys.

So I expect Fallout 4 to have a completely corny and shitty main story, but hey, it can still be an entertaining game, as long as the ending isn't complete bullshit.

The entire premise of 3 was dumb. IRL you can swim in a fuel rod cooling tank. How did the ENTIRE (according to Point Lookout) ocean become radioactive, but the land stay fine?
You would think they'd do some research on radiation when making a game called Fallout.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 462