Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831102 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Charm Drugs with your Charisma
« Reply #2040 on: October 01, 2015, 05:44:43 pm »

I'd kinda like to see Michael Kirkbride's take on Fallout, honestly. That'd certainly be interesting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: October 01, 2015, 06:18:03 pm »

And maybe a sneaking system that consists of more than just crouching

God, this. This is the single thing I hate the most about combat in TES and the modern FO games. Not only is sneaking this annoying gorilla-walk, but despite the halfassed attempts to be a FPS, FO3/NV didn't even have real crouching, never mind prone or leaning! And it took modders for us to get sprint.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: October 01, 2015, 06:19:11 pm »

God, this. This is the single thing I hate the most about combat in TES and the modern FO games. Not only is sneaking this annoying gorilla-walk, but despite the halfassed attempts to be a FPS, FO3/NV didn't even have real crouching, never mind prone or leaning! And it took modders for us to get sprint.
Yeah, I wish Metal Gear Solid was an RPG too.
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: October 01, 2015, 06:26:24 pm »

Yeah, I wish Metal Gear Solid was an RPG too.
That's not MGS. That's every vaguely shooterish game with decent controls. STALKER had lean and crouch in 2007 (and finger-twister pseudo-prone, hah). ARMA games, despite their glaring issues, did damned good with stances, especially in ARMA III. Et-fuckin'-cetera.

FO3's stealth and lack of stances is an artifact of Bethesda being used to making TES games, and is one of the few issues that's directly related to FO3 being Oblivion with guns. Stealth should, if anything, be encompassed by stances and movement, rather than an arbitrary and binary system like it has been, especially now that there's no actual stealth "skill". Have perks to reduce sound, allow silent running, whatever (or better yet, don't--take the CS approach and add a "walk" button that removes sound at the expense of slowing movement), but not the stupid bit about squatting = stealth and there's no way to steady aim for long range shots.

Face it, stealth has always been one of the shittiest aspects of Bethesda games. It's typically absurdly overpowered, and it chains into the abuse of massive crit damage alpha strike builds that have dominated their recent games.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:28:02 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: October 01, 2015, 06:29:29 pm »

No, I meant too, as in addition to what you said.
No I didn't.
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: October 01, 2015, 06:57:39 pm »

*flails wildly*

PEOPLE SAY THINGS

3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: October 01, 2015, 07:01:29 pm »

PERSONALLY I WISH THAT YOU COULD LEAVE COMBAT WITHOUT HAVING TO RUN TWELVE POINT SEVENTY-TWO MILES AWAY FROM PURSUERS
Black lives matter.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: October 01, 2015, 07:09:05 pm »

You know, oblivion had this system where if you went into a block stance and used the dialogue button on a hostile combatant, they might stop attacking you if they/their faction liked you enough. It was really under-used, but it was helpful in case you accidentally pissed off an ally. I think the manual said you could also have it work on bandits and the like if you had a high enough charisma, but that was always my dump stat so I don't really know. I'm surprised, anyway, that they didn't keep/expand on that system for later games like Fallout and Skyrim.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: October 01, 2015, 07:11:26 pm »

They kinda did. If you angered people by accident, you could try to yield by holstering your weapon.
If they were feeling kind, they'd stop trying to kill you, as I recall.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: October 01, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »

It seemed pretty good.  Guards would generally accept my yield to arrest me, sometimes even other people.  I don't remember how well it worked with bandits though.
...Except using charm, which basically rigged that system.  1sec charm was OP, but other than that it was a neat system, which even took race into account.  Plus, you know, what you'd actually done to anger someone.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: October 01, 2015, 07:21:04 pm »

Fallout, on the other hand... :3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2051 on: October 01, 2015, 07:35:18 pm »

They kinda did. If you angered people by accident, you could try to yield by holstering your weapon.
If they were feeling kind, they'd stop trying to kill you, as I recall.
It diidn't work for me more often than it did.
Maybe because when I finally wanted to yield I had immense bounty on me.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: October 02, 2015, 12:26:38 pm »

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=042814

and a melee combat system that entails more than hitting the enemy repeately with the same attacks until it dies.

Does anybody else find it ironic that FNV was better in this regard than Skyrim was?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:24 pm »

I really hate how Fallout 3 and New Vegas tried to combine FPS and RPG into a monstrosity that functions well as neither. The sneaking is silly, the melee combat has the feel of bringing a knife to a gunfight, sniping is far too easy a method to dispose of distant enemies, the melee enemies are ridiculously easy to deal with and so on and so forth. It's a horrendous amalgamation that would've entirely killed the games for me if not for the interesting world (FO3) and good story (NV).

What I'd really like is a Fallout game with STALKER's shooting. Man that game does open world FPS right.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: October 02, 2015, 05:03:31 pm »

It looks like VATS is definitely different. As in, it's not a time-stopping bullshit device anymore. This is a good thing, because that was dumb.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 462