Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829685 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1275 on: July 20, 2015, 04:52:03 pm »

But none of that is solid evidence, just a lot of circumstantial. And everything about paid mods was said before it was tried and it'll only be repeated again.

There is precedence: The Sims 2 modding.

There are mod piracy sites that are specifically designed to spite people who charge for their mods.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 20, 2015, 04:54:57 pm »

The idea of paid mods in and of themselves aren't a bad thing
It is, though. Up until now modding has been exclusively enthusiasts making things to share and show to other people, because they want to. The culture around modding is completely different to the producer-client relationship that it would change to with paid mods. I don't think anyone could really know how it would affect things.
It really depends on a number of factors...
How decent the vetting of paid-mods is...(if any)
How they'd handle version compatibility with paid-mods, especially if the mod is not updated when broken by patch...
If they will try to shut out the nexus and/or any other outside modding host...
If there is any enforcement on stolen mods, after the fact.
What happens when there is a dispute, for example a paid-mod using frameworks or pieces of another mod without permission/credit.

Probably a bunch of others. 
Worse case scenario... it could be the wild west with a vetting process which only cares to get your financial details for payment.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: July 20, 2015, 04:55:12 pm »

Bethesda games have always required mods to be playable on PC. I can't imagine ever bothering with Fallout 4 if they revive paid mods. #onlyreadtopic (because apparently there are four pages of long posts since the topic changed and I'm already procrastinating by looking at the forums at all)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1278 on: July 20, 2015, 05:43:12 pm »

I'd go so far as to say that paid mods will kill the modding community.

Yeah, it'll basically gentrify it.

hey lets all freak out again,

or vote with your wallet and not buy the paid mods?

And don't buy Bethesda's products either!

Welp, let's call out across the realms of gaming for support to fight this.

The idea of paid mods in and of themselves aren't a bad thing: but it will run away with every mod of some quality (and alot that aren't) becoming paid. Oh, you want a unofficial patch because every Fallout game has its bugs and you don't like bugs? $15. (This said, the teams that made the unofficial patches for Skyrim were some chill guys and I wouldn't suspect them of doing this, but imagine if someone simply stole their mod, made little changes and began charging for it) Better textures? 5 packs of textures, each $20.
Now, some mods get fuckhuge and are actually worth donations/money: take Nehrim for Oblivion. It was practically its own game and was a great damn total conversion.

TL;DR: I'm just worried it will cause a massive clusterfuck where mods of good quality, but rather small scale, go paid for little reason (just ask for donations, guys, please) and simple idea/change mods or shit mods with stolen assets make tons of money.

Thats the thing though is if Bethesda can isolate the modding environment then issues like the mods with small changes can be reported right away. I think there should be an option if people want to sell mods or not. All the modders that pour alot of time in generating content should deserve some compensation. Its upto a modder if their prices are going to be right or at scumbag level.

If somebody wants to charge for their mod, I'm fine with that, but neither Bethesda or Steam should be a part of it (and I don't just mean they shouldn't get a cut, I mean they shouldn't be allowed to be a part of it at all. The person should have to put on their own site behind their own paywall.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:52:34 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 20, 2015, 05:53:39 pm »

Why exactly is everyone freaking out. Bes actually said they won't be in for Fallout 4 at least at release.

If you're afraid that paid mods will be coming back next week, have no fear. Bethesda has apparently put this initiative on hold at least long enough to release Fallout 4 in November. "

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/fallout-4-news-bethesda-says-paid-mods-will-be-back-not-soon-459701

Did I miss something?

Also copying and pasting on a phone is hard and it takes forever.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 20, 2015, 06:00:51 pm »

An issue with it got missed, one that I personally would have.

Quite simply, how many people are actually going to go through the trouble of dicking around with a mod if it costs money?

I won't even cast an aside glance at a mod that requires money to run. The entire reason I spend so much time grabbing mods is because I don't have to pay for them, they're just extra content waiting to be nabbed up.

If mods start costing money, I'll just stop playing mods. Its that simple unfortunately.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1281 on: July 20, 2015, 07:09:21 pm »

Screw that, Fallout 4 looks awesome. I just won't pay for a single mod.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 20, 2015, 08:17:34 pm »

Why exactly is everyone freaking out. Bes actually said they won't be in for Fallout 4 at least at release.

If you're afraid that paid mods will be coming back next week, have no fear. Bethesda has apparently put this initiative on hold at least long enough to release Fallout 4 in November. "

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/fallout-4-news-bethesda-says-paid-mods-will-be-back-not-soon-459701

Did I miss something?

Bolded part mine. There's the problem.

They won't put Paid Mods on launch, of course. That's to get sales from Fallout 4, out of fans hoping there won't be any paid mods. I'm all for it, if there was only a semblance of monitoring who owns what and reducing copycats/stolen work.

I mean, just look at the App Store; too many lackluster copycats to be found.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 20, 2015, 08:35:33 pm »

If you're afraid that paid mods will be coming back next week, have no fear. Bethesda has apparently put this initiative on hold at least long enough to release Fallout 4 in November. "

Did I miss something?

Bolded part mine. There's the problem.

They won't put Paid Mods on launch, of course. That's to get sales from Fallout 4, out of fans hoping there won't be any paid mods. I'm all for it, if there was only a semblance of monitoring who owns what and reducing copycats/stolen work.

I mean, just look at the App Store; too many lackluster copycats to be found.
So why is all this crap supposition in the Fallout 4 thread? All we know for sure is that Bethesda will bring back paid mods some day and that day won't be the Fallout 4 release.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 20, 2015, 08:53:20 pm »

well, duh paid mods wont be available at Fallout 4's launch.  NO mods will be.  The modding tools wont be released for Fallout 4 until sometime in 2016.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 20, 2015, 09:58:14 pm »

How is a singular feature in one game detrimental to all of Bethesda's other products? That's just poor sense.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 20, 2015, 09:59:57 pm »

So I just completed Fallout, having never got so far in it before. My take is that the first game was a proof of concept and the second game is the real gem. It's nice to see the repurcussions of the earlier games in the later games. It even says at the end of Fallout that the master's mutants mostly went east, explaining why there are so many of them in Washington in the 3rd game.

Possibly unpopular opinion time: Arcanum's combat system was superior to that of the original Fallouts. In Arcanum you can enter live combat when it's a foregone conclusion or you want to run away, also there's a wider variety of unique stuff you can do in fights whereas in Fallout 1 & 2 you'll probably spend most fights shooting the same gun in the same way. Really it gets interesting when you're good enough to tactically target body parts but not so good that you always go for the eyes regardless.

Basically what I'm saying is it isn't a great tragedy that Fallout is now mostly real time. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're changing up with the new perk system. I wonder what role VATS will still play.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 20, 2015, 10:37:42 pm »

I think everyone would agree that Fallout's original combat system was kinda crap. Tactics was really great though in terms of combat, for the time anyway.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 20, 2015, 10:41:25 pm »

How is a singular feature in one game detrimental to all of Bethesda's other products? That's just poor sense.

If it doesn't fail it could spread. Not just to Bethesda's other games, to everywhere.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1289 on: July 20, 2015, 11:09:42 pm »

So why is all this crap supposition in the Fallout 4 thread? All we know for sure is that Bethesda will bring back paid mods some day and that day won't be the Fallout 4 release.
Because this issue can be very important to people who are interested in F4.
If you vote with your wallet, now's the time. F4 is probably pivotal in their plans regarding paid mods. E3 being just 2 months away & F4 coming down the pipes likely put a lot of the pressure behind their capitulation last time.
That pressure will evaporate after release.
Bethesda is making decisions we don't agree with, and if we buy F4 our dollars will be stuffing their warchest.

Screw that, Fallout 4 looks awesome. I just won't pay for a single mod.
F4 may look/be awesome, but Bethesda will leverage the cash you give them to push for paid mods. Probably hard.
If we were trying to encourage more developers to make RPGs similiar to TES/FO, then yeah we should buy the game--but that isn't the problem. TES is widely-recognized as a very successful video game & an especially successful RPG. In fact it's just about the gold standard.
What we're trying to do is dissuade a company from taking a course they're dead-set on, and to do that we need to stop giving that company money.
They aren't going to starve if you don't buy the game, and I doubt they'll determine no one likes fallout anymore if their record-breaking sales are slightly lower than projections. What they would do is actually take notice.

And I don't mean this personally, but do you think you'd hold to your convictions if the author responsible for your favorite, most indispensable mod decides to monetize? It's just (4) measly dollars after all. Exceptions are too easy to make, and they're the first step.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:13:35 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 462