Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829852 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1215 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:25 am »

I always found NV to have a distinct feeling of "We Can Rebuild" to it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 12, 2015, 08:17:41 am »

FO3 was, at the time of its release, one of the greatest games ever made. Yep. Crazy. I know many people feel... quite the opposite now, but having playing FO2, FO3, and FO:NV (not nearly as much as the others), my opinion is still that FO3 is by far the best. As a younger kid I was never more impressed and mesmerized by any video game in my life, and indeed, I have yet to recreate the feel of awe and wonderment as such as I experienced the first time I stepped out of the vault and in to the capital wasteland.

After multiple years and all of the DLC I DID get burned out on it, but hey so does everyone on things they do/play/listen to often. In the end, while FO3 is great despite many of its design/engine aspect instead of because of them it remains an amazing experience. It's not perfect, but Bethesda definitely made the best game that they could at the time.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1217 on: July 12, 2015, 08:59:57 am »

Sounds like how I feel about oblivion. "Babbies first RPG" syndrome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: July 12, 2015, 09:03:48 am »

Sounds like how I feel about oblivion. "Babbies first RPG" syndrome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was going to mention that too actually, escaping from the oblivion sewers was one of the first things I did in the video gaming world and it was really awesome. Though FO3 was hardly my first RPG, not even my first Bethesda RPG so i'd rule that out.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 12, 2015, 09:38:26 am »

it's understandable.  We all have those feelings of some of the firsts in gaming.  I'll always remember being 14 sitting in my dark bedroom playing Diablo 1 for my first time, seeing this room full of mutilated corpses, open the door, hearing "FRESH MEAT!" and getting mutilated by the Butcher.  Jumped like 3 feet out of my seat.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 12, 2015, 12:54:28 pm »

IDK, I have great nostalgia for Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal, and when I replayed it last year it was still just as great :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 12, 2015, 01:06:52 pm »

I always found NV to have a distinct feeling of "We Can Rebuild" to it.
NV was about the rebuilding of civilization. You no longer had everyone barely scraping by, living with only what they could find in a scrap pile. You had civilizations with their own laws and armies, an entire city dedicated to gambling, farms and so on.

The main game, anyway. The DLCs were very much low on the Hope factor.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 12, 2015, 01:28:01 pm »

Yeah, lot of the DLC seemed to be about letting go of the past rather than rebuilding, but you have to let go at some point if you want to move forward. Least, that was the impression I got.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 12, 2015, 05:41:02 pm »

Let Go. Begin Again. ;3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: July 13, 2015, 01:53:58 pm »

I guess the DLCs kinda bring home how special an existence New Vegas is. A place that still has a part of the Old World civilisation, but also a part of the wasteland life.
New Vegas really is a glowing point in the Wasteland. And a big sandstorm decides to hit it in the form of the three-way war between NCR, Caesar's Legion and Mr. House.

Though I guess FO3's setting is symbolic too. Sure, the BoS and the Enclave are vying for supremacy (Good Guy in Power Armour vs Bad Guy in Power Armour), but in the end, it's still the super mutants who control the symbols of power and history in Washington.
The great difference I feel though: You're not thrown into the power struggle, you are basically the cause of it escalating (or well, turning into a battle in DC). Without you, James would be stuck in a simulation and the purifier would stay a lost project for quite a few more years, if not forever.

Now, I wonder what sort of feeling Boston will have. Is it a 'beacon of prosperity' like Vegas? It doesn't seem to be an almost fully lost cause like DC (let's face it, besides the purifier, that place is practically dead).
I'm guessing that it'll feel like New Vegas though, a bit. I'm expecting a copy of the "great clash between major powers, with an unexpected third party [androids]". It's not a beacon of prosperity though, just a sort-of working civilisation. Still, it certainly doesn't look hopeless, what with all the airships.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: July 19, 2015, 05:54:58 pm »

If the east coast BoS is there I'd like to see them depicted as either using or attempting to reverse-engineer Mothership Zeta technology. Presumably some wpuld have made it's way to them from the Lone Wanderer given that he works with them for much of Fallout 3
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: July 19, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »

Well... I believe there's a part where you find alien power cells in an Enclave or something ammo box (not sure if it's Enclave or a random). But I still don't think Mothership Zeta can be canon.

What I'd like to see though, is the BoS being more a mix of Lyons' and the normal BoS. All the tech-orientation of the normal BoS, but with a side of helping people and not just thinking of them like savages (á la Outcasts). The helping people part would only go as far as helping get Project Purity running, just to learn of the tech, by sending 1-2 scribes at most. Fighting the Enclave is okay, but not trying to play the role of government enforcement.

I wonder what tie-ins there will be with Fallout 3 though. Will there be a mention of Lyons? Will there be Aqua Pura available (at exorbitant prices)? Any rumors spreading out from the Pitt? That sort of thing. And I'm not thinking shout outs only, I'm thinking of actual effects people/plot points in FO3 playing part in FO4. Though it seems it will play at the same time or before Fallout 3.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1227 on: July 19, 2015, 10:32:38 pm »

Oh hey, bethesda's planning to revisit paid mods after they've secured fallout 4's release and are floating on an enormous cushion of money. Bethesda's VP & PR guy Pete Hines had an interview a couple days ago & he all but confirmed it.
In case anyone was sitting on the fence about buying this week 1-2, thought you'd want to know- I was.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: July 19, 2015, 11:37:00 pm »

I think it was a bit more ambiguous than that, but yeah, it'll probably come back in some form. After the backlash from Skyrim, though, I'd have to think that they'd make some pretty big revisions to the system.

Here's the original article, by the way.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 20, 2015, 12:22:06 am »

Everyone knows its coming. They basically have a cassus belli to do it after they failed the last time.

And it will succeed too, because this time they'll be doing it for the console crowd instead of the PC users. Considering the console guys that don't play on PC, there's no reason why they won't shell out either. There's no precedent for them to be outraged.

I'm looking forward so happily to the future where mods go the way of DLC, preorders, and season passes. /s
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 462