Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830120 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1065 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:54 am »

I actually enjoy the idea of a more serious fallout, less cartoony 50s fallout.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1067 on: July 07, 2015, 10:23:55 am »

I'd be okay with a more serious/gritty themed fallout but the 50's camp is kind of part of the setting at this point.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 07, 2015, 10:26:13 am »

They could go with a pretty radically different atmosphere if they set a game in Europe, since we've seen basically no communication between the two continents for a long time.
I think the reason that they stick to the US is because the all studios that made Fallout are from there. In fact, the games tend to cover areas where the studio in question is located, or in the general vicinity.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1069 on: July 07, 2015, 10:31:44 am »

probably cheaper to go get reference shots and find locations in areas near the studio.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 07, 2015, 10:36:09 am »

Yes, I too enjoy post-apocalyptic sci-fi that is not Fallout. But not in my Fallout :P
Love, scriver~

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:01 am »

If you make fallout more gritty and serious and remove the wacky 50s aesthetic you get Wasteland 2 which is a game with absolutely no visual personality of its own.

And of course the usual caveat of "wacky aesthetic =/= incapable of serious" applies. Just because something has a wacky aesthetic does not mean you can't use it to create a serious, gritty atmosphere.

They could go with a pretty radically different atmosphere if they set a game in Europe, since we've seen basically no communication between the two continents for a long time.
I think the reason that they stick to the US is because the all studios that made Fallout are from there. In fact, the games tend to cover areas where the studio in question is located, or in the general vicinity.
I think it's definitely more the aesthetic. US popular culture and society in general had a very distinct image in the 50s, unlike the rest of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 07, 2015, 11:30:01 am »

That said, if you were looking for a part of Yurop that wouldn't have been absolutely carpeted directly by nukes, Scotland would do. The nuclear submarine bases would have been hit, but I doubt those existed, given the state of Fallout Yurop. Hell, it'd basically be New Vegas with heather and mountains instead of dust and orange light filters.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 07, 2015, 11:33:19 am »

I'd like to see a Fallout game that *doesn't* feature a shitty brown and orange (or green dirt) wasteland. I'd like to see something like Kashykk, or the first area of Witcher 2. Green and vibrant, full of plant-life, but really fucking dangerous.

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1074 on: July 07, 2015, 11:40:24 am »

but foliage is really fucking expensive graphically speaking, while wasteland is cheap. Detailed urban areas are also expensive.

Why do you think fallout is filled with tiny 'cities' and loading screens? (Aside from console-itis I mean)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 07, 2015, 11:50:30 am »

I'd like to see a Fallout game that *doesn't* feature a shitty brown and orange (or green dirt) wasteland. I'd like to see something like Kashykk, or the first area of Witcher 2. Green and vibrant, full of plant-life, but really fucking dangerous.

There were a couple of areas like that in FNV (the one vault with the plant experiments and the area in Big MT with the similar experiments)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 07, 2015, 12:19:23 pm »

but foliage is really fucking expensive graphically speaking, while wasteland is cheap. Detailed urban areas are also expensive.

Why do you think fallout is filled with tiny 'cities' and loading screens? (Aside from console-itis I mean)

Witcher 3 managed it (an actual proper city, consisting of more than 16 buildings I mean.) I maintain that it's just because Beth are shitty devs. That or whatever engine they use is good for mods but bad for games.

Yeah, I think it's just the engine.

True though, I'll admit that what I want probably is more suited to an original IP than a Fallout game.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 07, 2015, 12:24:11 pm »

If you make fallout more gritty and serious and remove the wacky 50s aesthetic you get Wasteland 2 which is a game with absolutely no visual personality of its own.
Wasteland has loads of zany elements, it just doesn't have much of a strong aesthetic beyond 'Post-Apocalyptic Desert Rangers'. One Mad Max-ish Wasteland America is much like another.

I'd definitely be interested in a more verdant post-apocalyptic environment. Endless forest with the hulking ruins of skyscapers peeking out.

Oh, and here's a Fallout History Lesson for those who are interested.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:10 pm »

Wasteland has loads of zany elements, it just doesn't have much of a strong aesthetic beyond 'Post-Apocalyptic Desert Rangers'. One Mad Max-ish Wasteland America is much like another.
Yes, but a lot of them aren't really present until about a dozen hours in. And even then most of those zany elements are conveyed to you through text rather than the game's own environment.

It doesn't start getting visually interesting until the second half of the game IMO.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 07, 2015, 12:34:01 pm »

Witcher 3 managed it (an actual proper city, consisting of more than 16 buildings I mean.) I maintain that it's just because Beth are shitty devs. That or whatever engine they use is good for mods but bad for games.

Yeah, I think it's just the engine.

It's the engine, but it has nothing to do with it being good for mods, it's just that NPCs (and creatures) take up loads and loads of memory. That they keep trying to make every single unimportant NPC more detailed is just exasperating the problem.

I didn't want to say anything as I haven't played Wasteland 2 and don't really know how it is, but the original Wasteland was much, much wackier than any of the Fallouts. So if the sequel was anything like it's inspiration... Yeah.

I'd definitely be interested in a more verdant post-apocalyptic environment. Endless forest with the hulking ruins of skyscapers peeking out.

Me too. One of the coolest thing about the STALKER games is the "reclaimed nature" look of some of the environments. One hundred years and the environment would look great.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 462