Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831082 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: HYPE HAS CHANGED
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2015, 09:40:01 pm »

If it's anything like Bethesda's normal MO:

Pros:
Large expensive world.
Reasonably varied loot.
Neat little easter eggs and stuff scattered around.

Cons:
Combat that's absolutely shite.
Puddle-like depth.
Clunky engine.
SHITTY PC PORT. (I don't know if FO4 is Console->PC or PC->Console, though.)

Still, we'll see how they handle this. My experience with all the hype around Skyrim and how that game actually ended up makes me a cynic. I'm glad for Fallout 4, but something tells me there's a good chance I'll prefer NV.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »

That's the thing though, they specifically mentioned that they had worked a lot on improving the feel of the combat. They wouldn't have said a word if it was still the same slog.

I'm torn. On the one hand, default prettiness and big world says PC to me. OTOH, that graphic for the dialogue tree looked suspiciously like a four-button controller face.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2015, 10:31:26 pm »

Don't worry UXLZ I am sure once Fallout 4 is done I'll get to hear about how terrible it is and how all the features are under-utilized and how Fallout New Vegas not only had some of those features, but also had them in mods.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2015, 10:32:01 pm »

That's the thing though, they specifically mentioned that they had worked a lot on improving the feel of the combat. They wouldn't have said a word if it was still the same slog.

I'm torn. On the one hand, default prettiness and big world says PC to me. OTOH, that graphic for the dialogue tree looked suspiciously like a four-button controller face.

It literally was. That was an Xbox One copy of FO4 that they were showing, looks like, based on the button configuration of the dialogue.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:42:58 pm by Putnam »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 15, 2015, 10:41:18 pm »

That... That..... real life pipboy!!! jesus... i am SOOO buying the collector just for the heck of walking with it holding my cellphone and see other non-gamers face go wtf is that?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 16, 2015, 12:32:50 am »

Now that there's proper flying with the jetpacks, I wonder if there'll be actually flying enemies? Cazadors and the like only ever hovered above the ground and never flew, so it was easy to wall-walk to New Vegas.

Unlikely, I think. Based only on their track record of not making AI able to jump or fly in any way. Enemy Vertibirds would probably be an exception, or work like dragons in Skyrim with set interaction-with-environment points. I'm not sure if Skyrim's dragons "really" flew or moved on an invisible pillar, but I can't remember them having issues with pathfinding or doing the whole "fly-up-and-down-with-the-ground-elevation" dance.

So in short. Flying Vertibirds? Possibly. Flying creatures, like the Bloodbug we saw, or individual NPCs? Not very likely. But they nay surprise me, I guess.
Love, scriver~

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:03 am »

There's something we missed, I think.

We can crossdress now. Howard wore a dress, that means the clothes aren't gender-based now. Men can wear dresses and women can wear suits now! Rev up those pipboys for the endless hours of playing dress up!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 16, 2015, 12:41:13 am »

Benny's suit was pretty fabulous though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 16, 2015, 01:40:55 am »

I'm not sure if Skyrim's dragons "really" flew or moved on an invisible pillar

Invisible Pillar with extra movement points.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2015, 01:41:51 am »

There's something we missed, I think.

We can crossdress now. Howard wore a dress, that means the clothes aren't gender-based now. Men can wear dresses and women can wear suits now! Rev up those pipboys for the endless hours of playing dress up!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but there's really no reason to assume that much, and I'm not going to be convinced until I see some more crossdressing shots. It's more likely that dress is a special dress of equality than that bethesda has changed their formula on this matter for all dresses and/or other clothes.

Won't stop me from running around in the wasteland in a pink dress and a minigun come this autumn, though.
Oh who am I kidding I'll never be able to run FO4...
Love, scriver~

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2015, 01:57:38 am »

I watched all the E3 videos today. It was... beautiful. The gun/armor/township customization section was just jaw-dropping. I have a few minor quibbles that I will bury under massive fanboy optimism. I think the four choice conversation system with cutting between faces (I know it's 'dynamic'* but we both know what the default is going to be) is limited and massively derivative of the ME and DA systems. I also think the fact that the world keeps going while you're in VATS is good, but that it'll be annoying as all hell if they don't fix the glitch where the  body map mistakes your repeated attempts to click the head as a command to fire six rounds into the target's armpit.

Now, I've got a little less than five months to ration out the money needed to buy a desktop capable of running this thing...

*I dearly wish there was an interview of Todd Howard actually explaining what he meant by dynamic, without once having to resort to the word dynamic. It would probably be rather entertaining.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:17:36 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2015, 02:34:05 am »

I am sure once Fallout 4 is done I'll get to hear about how terrible it is and how all the features are under-utilized and how Fallout New Vegas not only had some of those features, but also had them in mods.

Glad to see your optimism hasn't changed.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2015, 02:35:32 am »

Also, I just realized that, if Deathclaws live in the sewers now, there is a 101% chance of a quest that brings you through / directly into said sewers, and said Deathclaws.
Black lives matter.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2015, 02:59:09 am »

Gunplay looks like it's starting to shape up pretty well.
-Hand-made firearms
-Destructible, layered armor
-Decent effects
-Melee capability
-Crit meter

If they expand more on the armor simulation, (so you can manually aim at weak/uncovered locations), I'd be very impressed.
If it's possible to do with the kit & bethesda hasn't already done it by release, I bet such an expansion will be a very popular & very early mod.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2015, 03:11:26 am »

I watched all the E3 videos today. It was... beautiful. The gun/armor/township customization section was just jaw-dropping. I have a few minor quibbles that I will bury under massive fanboy optimism. I think the four choice conversation system with cutting between faces (I know it's 'dynamic'* but we both know what the default is going to be) is limited and massively derivative of the ME and DA systems. I also think the fact that the world keeps going while you're in VATS is good, but that it'll be annoying as all hell if they don't fix the glitch where the  body map mistakes your repeated attempts to click the head as a command to fire six rounds into the target's armpit.
Didn't he say that you can play the conversations in first person as well?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 462