Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831499 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #435 on: June 10, 2015, 01:32:34 pm »

It was a month or two after, I think. Could have been longer. From what I recall from trying to play it (I pre-ordered it, derp), the game was still largely unplayable on PC at the time, unless you liked crashes with your crashes.

The graphics in Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind never really bothered me, but I've been gaming since I was a kid playing stuff on a Commodore 64. These are two of the games I played back then:

I played plenty of DOS games, as well.

I have over 400 hours now in Dominions 4, which has graphics on par with early 90s SVGA games. And of course we are all here for Dwarf Fortress.

So if the gameplay is good, I don't particular care if it looks spectacular or not (especially since if it doesn't require a brand new graphics card).

I'll be especially disappointed if they're putting even more effort into making it look even better, because it seems like they've been following a trend since Morrowind, where the more money they put into making the game and scenery look good, the less money they put into making the plot and writing good.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »

This is entirely true and a wholly valid thing that has happened to me in the past and I fear it'll happen in FO4 as well.

Anything but my dogmeat.   :'(
setEssential 1
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 10, 2015, 03:02:51 pm »

What I was bothered by Oblivion/FO3/New Vegas/Skyrim was the textures.
I don't mind anything else given the very fun gameplay and big game world. But at least Skyrim should have come out with way better textures, and that would be enough.

But I never really cared for it. I just wondered why they didn't put better graphics in their masterpieces.  :P

They had to deal with 256 MB of RAM for graphics on the PS3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 10, 2015, 03:19:45 pm »

It was a month or two after, I think. Could have been longer. From what I recall from trying to play it (I pre-ordered it, derp), the game was still largely unplayable on PC at the time, unless you liked crashes with your crashes.

The graphics in Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind never really bothered me, but I've been gaming since I was a kid playing stuff on a Commodore 64. These are two of the games I played back then:

I played plenty of DOS games, as well.

I have over 400 hours now in Dominions 4, which has graphics on par with early 90s SVGA games. And of course we are all here for Dwarf Fortress.

So if the gameplay is good, I don't particular care if it looks spectacular or not (especially since if it doesn't require a brand new graphics card).

I'll be especially disappointed if they're putting even more effort into making it look even better, because it seems like they've been following a trend since Morrowind, where the more money they put into making the game and scenery look good, the less money they put into making the plot and writing good.

I cut my teeth on DOS games. I still think that Oblivion/FO3/NV looked like arse. Graphics on par with their times look good, graphics that aren't look bad, you can't explain that! Checkmate, atheists.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »

Oh god, now I'm worried. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE THE DOG MURDERED D:
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 10, 2015, 03:57:25 pm »

setEssential 1

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 10, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »

but thats a cheating
Besides, if it'll die, it'll probably die in a cinematic/Cutscene-esque way. Making him immortal could break it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 10, 2015, 04:00:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 10, 2015, 04:03:53 pm »

My only problem with the graphics in the previous games was that the terrain seemed too flat. I think the techy version is that 'it was made of too few polygons'. Either way, a mod could turn it into perfection anyways, but it was entirely pointless to include in the base game. If the graphics hit a set level, then above that it really doesn't change much and I think they had that. At that point, the real difference is made by the gameplay and story and I had no quarrels there.

I definitely can't imagine saying FO3/NV 'looked like arse', but hey, can't expect everyone to have the same views.

Yeah, NPCs have a suicidal tendency of dying. I really hope they get an AI that actually thinks of surviving. (And not just Skyrim's "Oh, I yield" *5 sec* "Die! Skyrim belongs to the Nords!")
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 10, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

I don't mind anything else given the very fun gameplay and big game world. But at least Skyrim should have come out with way better textures, and that would be enough.

But I never really cared for it. I just wondered why they didn't put better graphics in their masterpieces.  :P

Damn consoles.
But it's Bethesda. The only way to be mad at them is if they make a bad game. Which would prove difficult for them to do.
(fanboy much?  :P)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 10, 2015, 04:13:16 pm »

Damn consoles.
But it's Bethesda. The only way to be mad at them is if they make a bad game. Which would prove difficult for them to do.
(fanboy much?  :P)
They aren't very good at MMOs.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 10, 2015, 04:18:39 pm »

They aren't very good at MMOs.

*Shakes fist*

I don't play MMOs though (I rarely play Elite Dangerous and they are, unfortunately, making it too MMO-like), and I never understood the point in making an Elder Scrolls online game, except for dem microtransaction monies. But people probably discussed the hell of this already since its release.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 10, 2015, 04:19:23 pm »

...How would you know that? They've never made an MMO.

That's not a "what MMO" joke, either, Bethesda had nothing to do with the development of ESO.

Also, its lore is amazing. Worked just as much on making canon irrelevant as C0DA did.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 10, 2015, 05:14:01 pm »

"Nothing to to with" is a bit of a strong way to put it. It's not like Beth and Zenimax Online are completely unrelated.
Love, scriver~

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #449 on: June 10, 2015, 05:17:08 pm »

Energy weapons far surpass ballistics because energy weapons melt or goo-ify enemies with critical kills.

And then the game never cleans up the ash/goo piles properly and they make the game crash more.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 462