Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830605 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Fallout 3 with mods
« Reply #855 on: June 23, 2015, 03:58:59 am »

I thought horses basically were medieval vehicles? There were boats in Daggerfall and in some parts of Morrowind, and carts in Skyrim as well (although the latter two were basically fast travel systems).

Skyrim's carts do not move. They are static objects in the world that teleport you in different places and pass some time while doing so. Unless you refer to that one mod that makes them actually move.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #856 on: June 23, 2015, 04:56:00 am »

I thought horses basically were medieval vehicles? There were boats in Daggerfall and in some parts of Morrowind, and carts in Skyrim as well (although the latter two were basically fast travel systems).

Skyrim's carts do not move. They are static objects in the world that teleport you in different places and pass some time while doing so. Unless you refer to that one mod that makes them actually move.
Fun fact: All of the code necessary for the carts to actually move is present in the game. There is even a mod which enables it. They can and will slowly trot you between cities and towns.

It's just bloody boring.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 23, 2015, 08:14:14 am »

Bethesda started doing space compression stuff with their game worlds after daggerfall because they didn't have means to make the sheer space between locations interesting. In daggerfall you'd be lucky to find a single monster while wandering the wilds, and the draw distance was so tiny you'd be pretty much only seeing flat terrain and fog for hours. Thats why the world felt so tiny in morrowind, since they made a point of the player being able to travel around freely on the game world as an important gameplay feature, but didn't want people to trek through massive deserted 3D areas that would explode their processors or something.

Now that they do have means of generating entertaining content between actualy stablished places in the game world, don't see why they wouldn't further explore that, like they did with skyrim, which was shock full of stuff between point A and point B, and allowed you to easily get sidetracked.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:20:27 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #858 on: June 23, 2015, 08:18:28 am »

Oh yeah, I remember trekking to somewhere remote in daggerfall. I had a little paperweight I'd leave on the forward key while I went to grab a drink or something

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 23, 2015, 08:24:18 am »

This does remind me that someone was making a daggerfall remake on a modern engine, while keeping the old look and gameplay. Now, imagine if someone did to daggerfall what was done to doom with brutal doom.

We'd have Brutal Daggerfall: In which you violently slash people's naughty bits and dungeons are more like actual dungeons and less like R'lyeh.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 23, 2015, 08:32:11 am »

Generating content? Yes.
Entertaining? Ehhhh~~~, so-so. Some was good, some was bad.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 23, 2015, 08:56:39 am »

Heads up for anyone who didn't already know, but you can begin preordering Fallout 4 on Steam. Just saw the pop up myself.

This is going to be a painful year for my wallet; both the Heart of Thorns expansion for Guild Wars 2 and Fallout 4 are going to make a bit of a dent.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 23, 2015, 09:01:12 am »

-sigh-, pre-order pre-order. I'll probably wait 'till the game is released, buy it, then pirate it so I can get inevitable pre-order exclusive content without having to commit such a stupid act.

If I think it's actually anything interesting, that is. I don't want something that just makes you more powerful quickly. Higher level loot is never a good idea for pre-order/dlc content unless it has to be earned at a place of equivalent difficulty.
The circle is complete.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 23, 2015, 09:08:02 am »

In my youth, when i was even poorer then i am now, i used to "pirate" games just to test them as kinda a full demo. Now that I have a job, i'd rather just buy them. I don't mind preordering, but I usually do so around a few days before hand, and its worked so far. No game I decided to preorder ever came out bad, except X:Rebirth, but the devs worked on that and I was expecting the bugs after buying the earlier X games at launch.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 23, 2015, 09:16:46 am »

Bethesda started doing space compression stuff with their game worlds after daggerfall because they didn't have means to make the sheer space between locations interesting. In daggerfall you'd be lucky to find a single monster while wandering the wilds, and the draw distance was so tiny you'd be pretty much only seeing flat terrain and fog for hours. Thats why the world felt so tiny in morrowind, since they made a point of the player being able to travel around freely on the game world as an important gameplay feature, but didn't want people to trek through massive deserted 3D areas that would explode their processors or something.

Now that they do have means of generating entertaining content between actualy stablished places in the game world, don't see why they wouldn't further explore that, like they did with skyrim, which was shock full of stuff between point A and point B, and allowed you to easily get sidetracked.

Idunno, I think Morrowind found the perfect balance between content and expanse. In Skyrim, there's so much stuff packed into such a tiny game world that you can't walk two feet without tripping over a dwarven ruin, cult hideout or Daedric artifact. In Morrowind there's just enough dungeons/towns/ruins/etc. that the world feels occupied but they're far enough apart that it seems natural, and the terrain between landmarks is also fun to explore. Morrowind feels like a world while Skyrim feels like a playset, if that makes sense.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:49 am »

Morrowind also had better travel methods, so it was more fun.

Skyrim: Walk, Horse, Fast-travel.

Morrowind: Flying, Jumping, Teleporting (Mages Guild + Interventions + Mark/Recall), Silt-striders, boats, running reallyreallyreallyfast.

Spoiler: Tangent (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:21:50 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 23, 2015, 09:20:38 am »

Idunno, I think Morrowind found the perfect balance between content and expanse. In Skyrim, there's so much stuff packed into such a tiny game world that you can't walk two feet without tripping over a dwarven ruin, cult hideout or Daedric artifact. In Morrowind there's just enough dungeons/towns/ruins/etc. that the world feels occupied but they're far enough apart that it seems natural, and the terrain between landmarks is also fun to explore. Morrowind feels like a world while Skyrim feels like a playset, if that makes sense.

I can see that. Skyrim's world was significantly large, but it was just so shock full of stuff that it did feel kinda like an amusement park at times. Very rarely will you find desolate areas with just the occasional animal around. Morrowing did things properly according to the scale of the game world. Me perceiving morrowing as tiny probably comes from abuse of the levitation spell, since I always played a mage and levitation made travelling from one place to another mostly trivial.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 23, 2015, 09:22:36 am »

I abused Windwalker scrolls.
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 23, 2015, 09:29:42 am »

That's absolutely my favorite thing about Morrowind compared to Skyrim: there are places that you can't fast travel to. You have to ask for directions and look for landmarks. Such a small thing, but I find it so incredible and fun. Especially late in the game, when you have to hunt down the Ashlander camps out in the wilderness with nothing to guide you; it felt like you were really finding something hidden. However, if you go down the wrong foyada and don't have levitation, you'll have to spend hours doubling back to the nearest fork :P

I abused the Travel-Stained Pants. Simpler than scrolls and cheaper than training magic, since I only ever needed levitation for a few seconds at a time anyway. I usually used it to hop over mountain ranges, which immensely cut down on travel time later in the game.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:36:55 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 23, 2015, 09:53:45 am »

Lol, that reminded me of using the boots of blinding speed; the greatest artifact known to Morrowind players. Throw them on, and use the mini map to guide you. Or accidentally run right off a cliff.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 462