Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 833198 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6765 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:02 am »

Alright, ran around for about an hour with the textures, got some things to report.

First, specs: Intel I5 @2.8 Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 980 ti, 16 GB RAM, heavily modded.

1 ) It loaded the majority of textures much faster than before, and of the textures I saw, many were actually better, for the majority of my playtime it also ran cooler than vanilla.
2 ) There was nonetheless more frequent frame-rate dropping, some stuttering, but no slideshow.
3 ) Either the DLC or one of the recent updates substantially improved collision meshes, I was able, while wearing PA, to jump through a broken segment of wall that I KNOW I was not able to before.
4 ) Many creature textures were updated, and look substantially better than before, there also seem to have been improvements to many effects, such as wet textures, rainfall, and fog.
5 ) It actually had a smaller impact on my HD than expected, I believe some of the DLC includes those revised meshes, which may have over-written the original meshes.

Conclusion: while still stupidly huge, I declare it not Horse Armor.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: February 07, 2017, 08:27:54 am »

Is this only available on PC or is it available on the Xbone as well? I mean. probably won't pick it up all things considered because i am just fine with what i have and it's a bit big, but still. Can't hurt to know.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: February 07, 2017, 11:51:58 am »

So I'm considering coming back to this now that it's got loads of DLC and stuff.

My question is, are there any mods/mod collections to make it a bit more gritty/like STALKER? It's less about just bumping the difficulty, just making it into more of a sort of proper apocalyptic wasteland scavenge rather then Looty McCrazy Goblins.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: February 07, 2017, 02:55:02 pm »

Well once the server's back up I'll pop you a list of the mods I'm using in my gritty survivalist run.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: February 07, 2017, 03:46:35 pm »

Well once the server's back up I'll pop you a list of the mods I'm using in my gritty survivalist run.

Awesome, thanks!! I'm not in need of super grimdark, just something that's a bit grittier than the standard FO4, which I found pretty bright and breezy somehow.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: February 07, 2017, 03:53:32 pm »

All i want is hardcore NV style needs with normal combat difficulty.

Just because I actually need to build farms to eat now doesn't mean I want every raider becoming bullet sponges.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: February 07, 2017, 04:03:09 pm »

All i want is hardcore NV style needs with normal combat difficulty.

Just because I actually need to build farms to eat now doesn't mean I want every raider becoming bullet sponges.

Exactly!! I never find the combat difficulty too far off with Fallout 4 (bar a few exceptions) - it's not a chore, but if you get careless you've got a good chance of being deaded.

But it doesn't feel very much like a post apocalyptic wasteland - it feels more like an extremely well preserved crumbling city which happens to be absolutely chock full of an incredible amount of stuff. 

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: February 07, 2017, 04:54:08 pm »

Alright now, here we go! This is the full list I'm using, and it's good for me. It's in no way a definitive "this is what YOU will enjoy" list. I went for a more alive, but deadlier, feel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now after your last post I will say that War Never Changes does in fact change war drastically. All guns are varying amounts of lethal to everything at all levels. And that goes both ways. But in general these mods have made FO4 exciting, fun, punishing, and !!FUN!! for me again.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: February 07, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »

-amazingly helpful list-

AWESOME! Thank you so much for that, it's just the kind of list I was looking for. I think I'll go for the War Never Changes mod - my earlier comment was more of a 'I don't mind it, but it could be better' rather than I thought the balance was great as is.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:25 am »

Is this only available on PC or is it available on the Xbone as well? I mean. probably won't pick it up all things considered because i am just fine with what i have and it's a bit big, but still. Can't hurt to know.

I'm gonna say no, since I doubt my computer can handle it and it has twice as much total RAM as the Xbone.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: March 22, 2017, 12:06:59 am »

Reviving this just to say I'm back to FO4 and upgraded my HD 6870 to an RX 480. The honourable HD 6870 is now resting on a nice box inside a nice wrapping on my wardrobe - that damn GPU served me for around 5 years. It deserves a rest.

I've been playing with over 75 mods I think, but the biggest one is the Horizon mod. It's a total overhaul that aims to make things harder. I'm finding it REALLY fun, playing on the "Easy Survival" difficulty - which just means everyone does 100% damage instead of Player doing 100% and Enemies doing 150%. This mod is WAY harder than Vanilla Survival! I almost died to the first Bloatflies in Sanctuary, they left me with maybe 10 hp! And having everyone be a bullet sponge while I am a Bloatfly meal didn't feel fun.
(I'll probably boost the difficulty back to Horizon's "Normal Survival" soon, though, since I think other mods that I had in the beginning were making the game too hard to the point of ridiculousness)

As a total overhaul, it becomes a different game.. It adds, changes and removes all sort of features - from new settlement items to weapon mods, combat, loot, perks, levels, experience, balance, progression..EVERYTHING is changed. Check the size of the mod page to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The thing is, though.. I installed Horizon together with Fallout Loot Overhaul, and that's a crazy dumb thing to do. It became MISERY Mod on Fallout, because what Horizon doesn't make much harder, Fallout Loot Overhaul does. So its insanely bad, it feels everyone stole all the loot from everywhere, so I'm not sure even if Misery players would like it. Also, the mods are clearly not meant to run together as they change a lot of the same stuff.
Uninstalling Loot Overhaul made it very fun. I can find one or two bullets every 30 minutes now!! Ha.

It's really good. If anyone is looking for an excuse to Fall back into Fallout, I suggest that mod. And most definitely grab a 'Save Game on Survival' mod, because crashes are insanely infuriating when each and every encounter are tactical as hell. I was forced to set 3 frag mines and throw a molotov at THREE RAIDERS (!) because I had no ammo and had low health. Only one mine exploded, though.

In any case, I'm finding this mod has a good balance between combat difficulty vs. survival difficulty vs. progression/crafting difficulty. It makes everything non-trivial, and good stuff (like becoming self-sufficient) requires perks or exploration, therefore everything is REALLY rewarding. I stumbled upon a known bandit which was clearly too strong for me, but since the combat overhaul makes headshots count, I managed to explode her head. She dropped a great rifle completely over my level which I had no ammo for, but it had a bayonet and the melee attack of it was stronger than everything else I had. I even got to one-shot a skull-marked bandit with the only .308 bullet I had.
THIS is the kind of experience I wanted to have in Fallout 3 but was too young to realize, and it was the experience I wanted on Fallout 4..but I kinda enjoyed and accepted my richness as I was really hoarding the whole goddamn map inside Sanctuary's inventory..

The only thing that is a little disappointing with Horizon, but understanble, is that weapon mods might throw off the balance, so you have to try out for yourself if it's worth it.
Mind that I'm only a few hours in, though, so I'm yet to see if it's a solid experience at all times.

And..
True Storms: Wasteland Edition - This alone changed the atmosphere enough to make the game exciting again. You should probably be using this anyway if you can. Adds new and improved weather, including some of the densest fogs I've ever shot a laser through.
This mod is amazing. It was midnight, and an insane fog came up. I was hungry, thirsty, sleepy and far away from home. And then I bumped into a lone raider in the middle of the fog - IT WAS INSANE! Later on, on another crazy fog, I bumped into three roaming feral ghouls, and it scared the hell out of me. Do get this mod.

Survival Options - A personal must for Survival even though all I do is set it to autosave every 10 minutes. That way I can't really savescum, and if some Bethesda-style BS or mod-related crap happens, I lose a max of 10 minutes progress.

Thanks for mentioning this! I got two survival-save mods but I don't like the way they work, and they can easily be abused. A 10 minute auto-save is all I wanted.  :P

I'm a bit sad, though, that I don't have money for all the DLCs. Some fun/good/interesting mods require one or all of them, and I'm more interested in the mods than the DLCs themselves.
Mind that Horizon itself is balanced around having all DLCs, so if you have them you'll be happier than me. The mod is modular so you can add the modded-DLC content as you buy them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:02:57 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: March 22, 2017, 08:46:28 am »

So who here is excited for Fallout 4 VR? I am, tbh. I wouldn't even mind if Bethesda released it as a paid DLC. I mean, the amount of work to get it working and all set up so it doesn't just crash and burn immediately surely would deserve some money.

I mean, I won't be able to play it, but still. It sounds cool :P

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: March 22, 2017, 10:22:37 am »

So who here is excited for Fallout 4 VR? I am, tbh. I wouldn't even mind if Bethesda released it as a paid DLC. I mean, the amount of work to get it working and all set up so it doesn't just crash and burn immediately surely would deserve some money.

I mean, I won't be able to play it, but still. It sounds cool :P

I've specifically been preparing to play FO4 again when VR launches, so yes, one might say that I'm excited. :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: March 22, 2017, 10:28:54 am »

Fo4? VR? I seem to be out of the loop here..
But to be honest, I probably won't jump on that bandwagon.
I don't have the hardware for it, and I don't really care at this point.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: March 22, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »

To summarize, basically it's Bethesda officially going to add in HTC Vive compatibility. A month ago, IIRC, there was an official statement that the VR compatibility was at a point where it was possible to play through the entire game in VR and beat it. Whatever that entails, it's still pretty fugging neat that it wasn't just something toyed about with in the early months of VR.

tbh, the VR excited part of me is thinking that if this succeeds, it could lead to other games adding in VR support.
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 462