Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 815153 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6735 on: December 26, 2016, 12:30:34 pm »

Anyone else noticed that you can build a mod for, say, a light Raider armor piece, remove it, then attach it to a heavy version of the same armor? Even tho building it for the heavy armor requires a higher level of the Armorer perk?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: December 26, 2016, 12:40:32 pm »

The size of the armor is itself just another mod, so it does make sense (from a game function standpoint) that you can transfer armor mods between any same-type armor.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: December 26, 2016, 07:24:11 pm »

Yes, but you never had to pay for the higher Armorer perk to make it.

So you can get away with making mods for all the lighter armor and reattaching them instead of properly making them at the intended perk requisite.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: December 26, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »

I understand that.  It is a (probably, as I can't imagine they did it intentionally) side effect of the way the system is constructed.  The best way I can think of to remedy it would be for 'thesda to patch the game so that mods have consistent perk requirements.  But as I am not an employee of that company, nor is it probable that they are paying attention to this thread, it really doesn't matter.

The point is that your complaint is the logical outcome of their implementation of the mechanic .

Edit:I know you didn't ask, but I tried to find a mod that rectifies this, but my google-fu is not so good and I did not manage to locate one, sorry.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:06:43 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: December 27, 2016, 01:17:38 am »

That's just another way of saying that the reason there's that error in the behavior of the game is because it was programmed that way. I'm aware of that, is usually how these things happen. I'm pointing out that oversight because it effectively breaks the rules of character building. I'm sure the code and data structure of the game is what makes it do the stuff it does, as it often does.

I don't need a mod to fix that, I can just ignore and keep playing. I was merely pointing out that it happened and whether anyone else found it odd.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: December 27, 2016, 02:31:56 am »

I actually think it makes sense, given how you're not in fact making a more advanced mod from scratch but merely taking an existing mod and applying it to another weapon/armor of the same type.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6741 on: December 27, 2016, 07:04:03 am »

I actually think it makes sense, given how you're not in fact making a more advanced mod from scratch but merely taking an existing mod and applying it to another weapon/armor of the same type.
I think the point is that you should probably be required to have the upgraded perk to attach the mod, just like you would to build it. Mods on the heavier armors are gated by higher perk requirements, which is circumvented by making the mod for a light armor and moving it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: December 27, 2016, 09:10:55 am »

I think it's a good system, in that it makes playing without investing the perks into armor crafting worthwhile. Instead of just spending four perk points, you hunt down the perfect piece of armor for your character through carefully examining the loot you obtained.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6743 on: December 27, 2016, 10:06:43 am »

The perks are there to allow customization. Without them you'd just use what you find, like every other RPG, and sell the rest. The fact that you can move mods around without any knowledge or ability is strange to me.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: December 27, 2016, 12:09:24 pm »

Meh. I have no opinion one way or another, just like the dirty neutral I am. honestly, i just love the modding system :3

As a console peasant, where will I find a mod to unlock ballistic weave from the get-go? Looked for it for a bit, but couldn't find it. A name or a link would be nice.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: December 28, 2016, 03:59:54 pm »

Like I said, I have no problem moving the mods. Heck, I don't even have a problem exploiting the heck out of this.

What makes no sense is that it's more costly to make the Heavy mod than the Sturdy or Light version of the mod.

Unless I'm misremembering (which would be weird because I'm pretty sure I did this to ugprade a Medium armor of some kind), it works like this.
(the actual perk numbers are from the top of my head):

Let's say I find a vanilla Heavy Combat Armor chest piece. I want to add the "polymer" upgrade to it. Let's say this requires Rank 4 of Armorer, because it's the Heavy version. The Light version requires Rank 2. I can do this two ways:

• Spend 4 perk points on Armorer, go to an armor bench, select my armor piece and build the Polymer upgrade for it.
  • Spend 2 perks on armorer. Get a Light chest piece (chances are I have a gigallion of these if I already found the Heavy one). Build the Polymer upgrade for it. Remove the upgrade. Select my heavy armor piece. Attach the upgrade.

Why not do #2 every time and save on the perk? Sure, eventually I might like to have Rank 4 of armorer for some specific mod or whatever, but not for this. So, why not just leave the Polymer upgrade requirement at Rank 2 for all levels of combat armor, if this was the intended behavior?

EDIT: Again, calling this a "complaint" is way overstating it. To me, at worst it's a nitpick. At best, it's a deliciously exploitable cheat that I don't intend to stop using.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:03:55 pm by Sergius »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: December 28, 2016, 04:01:42 pm »

Because you can do more stuff with higher Armorer. Sure, you could just do that, but if you're doing a bunch of armor crafting and want armorer, you'll probably be having as high a level in Armorer as you can regardless.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: December 28, 2016, 04:02:52 pm »

Because you can do more stuff with higher Armorer. Sure, you could just do that, but if you're doing a bunch of armor crafting and want armorer, you'll probably be having as high a level in Armorer as you can regardless.

Yep, that's what I meant when I said "Sure, eventually I might like to have Rank 4 of armorer for some specific mod or whatever".

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: December 28, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »

Oh. I didn't see that. Regardless, my point stands. I don't use exploits because I find them cheap, but honestly this seems more like an oversight more than an exploit.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: December 28, 2016, 04:12:02 pm »

Oh. I didn't see that. Regardless, my point stands. I don't use exploits because I find them cheap, but honestly this seems more like an oversight more than an exploit.

Oversight is the dev putting it there. Exploit is the player using it to his benefit.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 462