Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832253 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #5055 on: December 24, 2015, 12:22:40 am »

Belatedly, I just noticed this earlier post, and while I'm not about to jump at anyone's throat...

Due to over-reliance on the Radiant Quest system Bethesda is so proud of, F4 is boring.

(...)

I've put in 200 hours on my main save, and while I have yet to even bother completing many sidequests, the Radiant system has utterly burnt me out when it comes to basic gameplay.

Does not compute.

You don't play a boring game for 200 hours. Fallout 4 may be dumb and shallow to some extent, but boring, it is not. At least not until you've put several dozen hours into it.

And what's the Radiant system, by the way? From what I could gather skimming the comments, is it the procedural quest generator?

I play games for extremely long periods of time, it has to do with being a stay at home dad.  I have over six hundred hours in Terraria for example, and I go for months without playing it.  Almost three hundred hours in Starbound, and it is still a bad game.  Unknown hundreds or thousands of hours in Fallout 3, and I cannot even play the game without around a hundred mods because the setting and gameplay drive me berserk.  I am a completionist, so once I pick a game up I tend to do absolutely everything that game has to offer, that tends to lead to massively inflated play times.  Games I don't like will still get twenty to forty hours of play before being shelved indefinitely.

The Radiant system is Bethesda's 'crowning achievement' from Skyrim, you are correct that it is the procedural quest generator (tho in Skyrim it also did a number of other things which are strangely absent in F4), it is the reason that you're going to Abernathy Farm for the fortieth time to rescue dumbass's wife from raiders.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: December 24, 2015, 12:50:48 am »

or just don't because the quests are boring and repetitive. The game will bugger you about it but sod it, I never wanted that quest anyway.

Which is another thing that really bothers me in FO4. You can't turn down a lot of quests. You just get them and they sit there in your Data tab of the pip boy.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: December 24, 2015, 03:00:10 am »

I was referring to Fukushima and Chernobyl as being areas abandoned, thus untouched by human activity because of radiation. The actual level of radioactivity is low but people still avoid the place enough to see plant growth. However if radiation levels were so high plants couldn't grow due to soil being completely barren of micro organisms that would explain the environment.
I'm not going to drag out the implausibility of "salted " nuclear weapons capable of doing this over a global scale, but it's entirely plausible considering the tiny area fallout 4 represents. A single weapon could  potentially affect that area with the right radio nucleotide to basically sanitise it for 200 years. But lack of rust would require massive alteration of weather patterns, the water throughout the area however shows there should easily be enough humidity for iron to decay.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: December 24, 2015, 03:03:56 am »

Fallout's (and I am talking series-wide here) representation of a nuclear holocaust and how the world might develop afterwards is not realistic, regardless of how long a time has passed according to game lore.

If you want realism, go watch Threads. This is Fallout and radiation is magic.  :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: December 24, 2015, 04:34:44 am »

So, on the subject of settlements, has anyone else noticed some oddity regarding settlers actually showing up sometimes?  What I mean is, my char's got 11 charisma, and I habitually wear a full set of leather with the 'sharp' prefix, but Sanctuary only has a pop of 13, The Slog appears to be terminally capped at 18, and it took nearly an in-game month for the drive-in to break 20, and even then it's only at 23.  I haven't seen any other weirdness (like the being to far away causes food and water to be counted as zero bug), so I'm not sure what is going on here.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: December 24, 2015, 05:22:16 am »

Eh, give it time. All of my settlements are around 20-ish. Then again, I also have the mod that recaps the maximum population to 50.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: December 24, 2015, 07:55:49 am »

It does make some sense if the radiation levels here were so high that people have only just returned, though Chernobyl and even Fukushima show major reforestation in areas people have avoided.

Except that isn't supported by the story. Megaton, Lamplight (and adulttown), Rivet City, they've all been there for quite some time.
Love, scriver~

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: December 24, 2015, 09:37:05 am »

After playing fallout NV again you REALLY realize how much the prefab 4 option dialogue system has ruined any good dialogue and the meaningful choices associated with it.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: December 24, 2015, 09:46:56 am »

It does make some sense if the radiation levels here were so high that people have only just returned, though Chernobyl and even Fukushima show major reforestation in areas people have avoided.

Chernobyl and Fukushima =/= massive nuclear war

Fukushima in fact isn't even a nuclear disaster. the only people who died there were two workers that drowned from the tsunami. the amount of radioactivity added to the ocean is literally a drop, not in a bucket, but in an ocean. It has no practical effect.
Maybe I've been misinformed, but I'm PRETTY sure that a nuclear reactor meltdown (ala Chernobyl) is far MORE radioactive then a nuclear bomb. Like, MASSIVELY more radiation.

So, on the subject of settlements, has anyone else noticed some oddity regarding settlers actually showing up sometimes?  What I mean is, my char's got 11 charisma, and I habitually wear a full set of leather with the 'sharp' prefix, but Sanctuary only has a pop of 13, The Slog appears to be terminally capped at 18, and it took nearly an in-game month for the drive-in to break 20, and even then it's only at 23.  I haven't seen any other weirdness (like the being to far away causes food and water to be counted as zero bug), so I'm not sure what is going on here.
What I do is I just put radio towers errywhere and then tell the people who show up at those places to move to where I want a big town to be.
For example using Zimonja as a attractor and then sending everyone who shows up there to Sanctuary.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: December 25, 2015, 10:32:13 am »

So I seem to have hit an irritating bug that doesn't appear to be affecting many players.  I went to Vault 81 fairly early in my main game, and had no problems, but now (many, many hours and levels later) I decided to go pick up Curie, and mysteriously every single time I try to enter the vault, the game CTDs.  I tried having Steam verify the game files, and Steam found no problems, I messed around with activating/deactivating mods and the problem persists, the other like three people who have reported this problem have also done these things and they still cannot enter the area.  I haven't gone inside since the patch dropped, so I don't know if the crash happened before that or started after.

Edit: I also cannot coc to any of the interior cells.

2nd Edit: Found the problem, if anyone is using the current version of CBBE, either the body or the 'vanilla clothes' plugin is causing the crash, it's a problem with the vault suit.  Simply toggling it didn't work, I had to completely uninstall the mod in order to get things working.

3rd Edit: Went to report at the Nexus, only to find that the stickied post had been recently updated to include a warning about this.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 12:04:44 pm by NullForceOmega »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: December 25, 2015, 02:01:19 pm »

Yeah, a normal nuke doesn't produce that much lasting radiation, but in Fallout the bombs were specifically designed to produce as much radiation as possible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: December 25, 2015, 02:21:34 pm »

And they aren't based on how radiation works in real life, either.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: December 25, 2015, 03:01:30 pm »

Reaching the Institute made me appreciate the game more. It's nice to let me doubt if I want to actually fight the main villain guys. Maybe I even join them. Had my doubts about Railroad anyway.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: December 25, 2015, 03:19:07 pm »

Exactly the same. Left the game there over the holidays, still not sure what I'll do. Remember Mama Murphys visions though...
I love the fact that we're wondering, yes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: December 25, 2015, 03:46:23 pm »

While I get what you're saying, its not really US wondering what we'll do so much as wondering what our CHARACTER would do.
It sets up a weird disconnect between the player and the character. Which isn't really BAD...but its odd.

I mean, for most of the game there's probably a disconnect anyway simply because the vault dweller is railroaded so hard with the limited dialogue options, but the Institute really hammers it home.

There are ways to make this not a terrible thing (see the Saints Row series whenever the PC is characterized as liking certain things) but its weird to have in a Bethesda game. And especially so when you are the one choosing whether to do what YOU think is best or what your character would think is best.

... I just said the same thing 3 different ways :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 462