Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831131 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4590 on: December 08, 2015, 11:26:50 am »

I liked how even though they're moddable the weapons still look like the iconic... Icons (and models) from the previous games. This might not have been a relief for many but myself, but ever since I saw a 10mm in a preview or trailer that didn't look the way it was "supposed" to I had been worried the change in art direction had gone too far in the opposite direction of F3's "copy everything down to details" and ended up changing the iconic stuff. In hindsight it was just a 10mm with short barrel.

But yeah, I think they did good with the weapons and modifications and his they look (Assault rifle being the main exception). Armor is pretty great all over. I can't decide if I'm happy or let down that they removed the classic "one sleeve cut off" look from the leather jacket/road leathers, but since it was just a giant Mad Max reference to behind with it's not something I get very hung up on. It gets a bit unintentionally silly when every single leather jacket wearing guy has that one look.

In still squeeing over the return of layered clothing to Bethgames, of course, as well as more armour pieces. I hope they keep that for the next TES game as well.

I admit I took getting used to some of the art changes, but when you consider the cartoon-y Fallout aesthetics, most of it kinda makes sense. The assault rifle grew on me once I took a full size one with my power armor, it just kinda clicked like it was ment to be used by power armor soldiers or something. I think they shoulda just labeled it "Heavy Combat Rifle" and have been done with it, but ehhh.

Also I hyped myself so much on the return of layered armor that I rebought Morrowind (still cant find my disks for it) and ended up doing the Morrowind Singularity even though I told myself I wouldn't.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: December 08, 2015, 11:29:32 am »

In still squeeing over the return of layered clothing to Bethgames, of course, as well as more armour pieces. I hope they keep that for the next TES game as well.
The return of layered clothing is probably thanks to the newest consoles not being horribly outdated. We can probably expect more layered stuff in future titles.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: December 08, 2015, 11:44:13 am »

One thing that bothers me about settlements: I feel like they could use more spreadsheets to keep stuff organised. The way it is now is seriously jank. Like a single spreadsheet detailing what everyone's assigned to with the ability to mark that person in the gameworld so that you can organise shit better. that's all I ask for.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: December 08, 2015, 11:52:18 am »

(except shotguns, because I hate them in most games)
What how could you not like

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: December 08, 2015, 11:56:31 am »

I favour assault rifles and sniper rifles. Shotguns just don't suit my preferences. They suck at long range and if I'm up close I'm just going to draw a melee weapon and start hacking my enemy up.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:21 pm »

My beef with weapons, aside from the fact damage types don't seem to matter much, is that their AP usage in VATS is completely inconsistent with their alleged ROF. The 10mm Pistol can be fired like a dozen times, followed by the Combat Rifle and the Double-Barreled Shotgun (haven't tried the Combat Shotgun yet). The Assault Rifle is actually worse than the Combat Rifle as far as AP usage is concerned. Weapons like the Hunting, Laser and Plasma Rifles can be fired three times at most. There's no way to tell any of this until you try to use the weapon in VATS.

Be advised, I only play with semi-automatic arms, as that's how I'm perked. But still. I can fire the two-shot DB shotgun 6+ times, reloads inbetween, in the same time I'd fire a Laser Rifle (Danse's modded, by the way) thrice if I'm lucky, without any reloads in the way. It doesn't make any sense.

Another annoyance: the inability to use grenades in VATS. You've to throw them manually, in real time, and that's hardly accurate on any level.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: December 08, 2015, 12:06:13 pm »

I genuinely dislike using VATS in all of the new fallouts. The only time I use it is when I'm confused where the enemies are coming from and I need to find them.

also against mirelurks.

fuck mirelurks.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: December 08, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »

I haven't used them much in FO4 yet, but I can sympathize.  They're usually portrayed in wildly incorrect ways, such as blowing through heavy armor at short range or having gigantic scatter that makes them unusable past 3 meters.

Anyway, speaking of VATS: I barely use it myself partly because of the issue of it not really having enough AP to be useful in many cases and because of the interesting bugs.  I once randomly teleported on top of a building because I fired some shots using VATS.

Really, I only use it to identify enemies as well, or when I think I have a crit ready so that I can just headshot someone and be done with them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: December 08, 2015, 12:16:27 pm »

So rumors of Bethesda removing all other mod sources other than Bethesda.net so that they can do paid mods without interference from Nexus or the steam workshop.   

My source however had to go before they could provide a link, and all I can tell with a search is that Beth programmed their launcher to somehow disable any current mods.   Anybody have any more solid info on this rumor?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: December 08, 2015, 12:18:11 pm »

it disabled them in a way that you can just turn them back on when you go in the file

people are overreacting like crazy, holy shit, this is the equivalent of saying that there's a conspiracy against windowless noborder because an update accidentally set everyone's ini to fullscreen

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: December 08, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »

Ah good to hear.  I'm at work at the moment, I was thinking it might be hyperbole, but stuff like reddit is blocked at work, and I wanted to check before I forget and start up FO4 and possibly screw over my save. :)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:32 pm »

So rumors of Bethesda removing all other mod sources other than Bethesda.net so that they can do paid mods without interference from Nexus or the steam workshop.   

My source however had to go before they could provide a link, and all I can tell with a search is that Beth programmed their launcher to somehow disable any current mods.   Anybody have any more solid info on this rumor?

Run the game directly from Fallout4.exe instead of the launcher. Or go get FO4 Script Extender and run it from that.

I don't see Bethesda removing other mod sources considering how bad the paid mod thing went over with Skyrim. They might consolidate modding for FILTHY CASUAL CONSOLE GAMERS but that's because mod installs will have to be specially packaged for FILTHY CASUAL CONSOLES and I don't see that being paid; most likely it'll be put under its own download page and be installed on FILTHY CASUAL CONSOLES like a regular DLC purchase, only free.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: December 08, 2015, 01:20:49 pm »

Another annoyance: the inability to use grenades in VATS. You've to throw them manually, in real time, and that's hardly accurate on any level.

I think you have to level up Demo Expert to get the ability to use them in VATS. Not completely sure, but I think I saw that in the game.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: December 08, 2015, 01:45:45 pm »

I think you have to level up Demo Expert to get the ability to use them in VATS. Not completely sure, but I think I saw that in the game.
The final rank of demo expert states that mines and grenades thrown in VATS explode for double damage.
Fallout wiki states that grenades in VATS was disabled completely.
However rank 2 of demo expert gives you the throwing arc which helps aim significantly.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: December 08, 2015, 01:47:55 pm »

so apparently the new update broke mods or something.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 462