Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831086 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4560 on: December 07, 2015, 07:56:07 pm »

New Vegas already had all of F3's guns to build upon, though, so it's not surprising it had a huge heap of them ;)

That's not really an excuse, given that Fallout 4 had both games' guns to build upon. It's not like the models were somehow made incompatible, it's still the same engine, or at least I'm pretty sure it is.

A lot of the subsystems like base building and weapon modding feel incomplete or underwhelming. So many of the quests are just cut-and-paste. The game, despite an amazing amount of content, doesn't have content where it really counts, and it gets boring really fast because of it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: December 07, 2015, 07:58:18 pm »

If you only count "Pipe", "Laser", "Plasma", &c. as one weapon in FO4 but count the Laser Pistol/Rifle/Trilaser &c. in prior games as different weapons you're a hypocrite.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: December 07, 2015, 08:03:18 pm »

Don't forget those named guns which is just a more powerful normal gun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: December 07, 2015, 08:03:26 pm »

If you only count "Pipe", "Laser", "Plasma", &c. as one weapon in FO4 but count the Laser Pistol/Rifle/Trilaser &c. in prior games as different weapons you're a hypocrite.

But in Fallout 3 and NV all three of those weapons are significantly different, appear at different parts of the game, and are paced differently.

Don't forget those named guns which is just a more powerful normal gun.

Quite a few... except a lot of them also had abilities and quirks that made them drastically different.

The Lincoln Rifle being a major one. Doing more damage to the head, crippling it more easily, and having perfect accuracy outside vats.

As well due to the way the game was set up a unique weapon was usually something to look forward to and try out :P

---

Also in New Vegas, and Fallout 3 to a lesser extent, quite a few of the uniques existed essentially to raise a ammo type that went out of use back in use. My favorite is a Unique BB-gun in New Vegas.

---

It is why I said Fallout 4 FEELS like it has less weapons.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:08:00 pm by Neonivek »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:15 pm »

Where's all the funny Fallout 4 stories? I miss them. All I see is arbitrary bullshit lately.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:44 pm »

The Legendary stuff was an interesting way to increase variety, but I found two things wrong with it.

One was that it kind of overtook unique weapons. Yeah, there were still a few unique weapons, but even among the unique stuff, a lot of them have bonuses from the Legendary table, which, well, makes them not-so-unique.

Two was that it didn't have any real control on what weapons could get what, and this ended up being buggy sometimes. Like the infinitely-crankable laser musket that ate all your ammo when you fired.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: December 07, 2015, 08:10:53 pm »

But in Fallout 3 and NV all three of those weapons are significantly different, appear at different parts of the game, and are paced differently.

significantly different
Whereas in Fallout 4 when you have a laser pistol/rifle/autorifle/sniper rifle the only differences are their damage, recoil, accuracy, rate of fire, type of sights, degree of zoom, effective range, movement speed, and physical appearance.   ::)

appear at different parts of the game
Blatantly untrue, unless you're trying to split hairs about the laser pistol that you get given before you even finish character creation in NV. All the different sorts of low-tier ballistics, high-tier ballistics, lasers, plasma, and exotic weapons appeared in waves in prior games as well.

paced differently
I have no idea what you're talking about here, unless you're repeating the prior thing or complaining about the rate at which they appear, in which case I'd have to reiterate the fact that New Vegas gives you a laser pistol before you finish character creation and lets you buy a plasma pistol from the shop in the tutorial level.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: December 07, 2015, 08:13:21 pm »

Where's all the funny Fallout 4 stories? I miss them. All I see is arbitrary bullshit lately.

Right now the game has kind of perfectly exhausted me... I feel like I could beat the game right now but there is just soo much left.

The Legendary stuff was an interesting way to increase variety, but I found two things wrong with it.

One was that it kind of overtook unique weapons. Yeah, there were still a few unique weapons, but even among the unique stuff, a lot of them have bonuses from the Legendary table, which, well, makes them not-so-unique.

Two was that it didn't have any real control on what weapons could get what, and this ended up being buggy sometimes. Like the infinitely-crankable laser musket that ate all your ammo when you fired.

For me it is that the vast majority of them end up so dang useless. I went into a "dungeon" which gimmick is that it has FAR more legendary creatures then any other location... I got no good legendary.

And of all the legendary items... only the armor I have is good and I bought that...

The only one I found was a killer pistol that adds 25% damage to it... and one for the pipe pistol that adds +10 energy damage.

Whereas in Fallout 4 when you have a laser pistol/rifle/autorifle/sniper rifle the only differences are their damage, recoil, accuracy, rate of fire, type of sights, degree of zoom, effective range, movement speed, and physical appearance.

I don't know what game your referring to... In Fallout 4 what makes a "Sniper" weapon... isn't the scope...

Also Pistol and Rifles are exactly the same. You will NEVER be able to tell the difference between an amazing rifle versus an amazing pistol.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:20:37 pm by Neonivek »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: December 07, 2015, 08:19:36 pm »

Best legendary items I got are exploding combat shotgun, wounding 10mm, and staggering revolutionary sword.

The guaranteed named weapons are significantly easier to get than pray to RNG. Overseer, Spray n Pray, Last Minute. Hell that leather armor called Wastelander's armor or something you can buy for cheap starts with 50% chem duration mod already on it. Very useful for early game drug fueled rampage,

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: December 07, 2015, 08:22:25 pm »

I think for the next Fallout what it should do is just have... well...

Gun nut level 1-4 should apply to all weapons.

It should probably restrict certain modifications from some weapons to keep everything from feeling blandly the same.

Because weapons are modifyable along the SAME DANG LINES!!! they should focus on making them feel even MORE unique. This isn't Fallout 3 where your stuck with whatever weapons you find and thus even slight differences matter.

You should not pick up a Laser Rifle and a Combat Rifle... and not feel like the ammo is the only significant difference. (yeah I know there is slightly more difference... Mainly that Laser is faster and does equal damage... but oooOoooh)

The Splits need to feel "Justified" as well, the side paths might be better served as a "advanced modification" instead of being available at the start. It hurts variety when "Ohh, I can shoot faster but do less damage... and the net gain is less damage" occurs. It is funny that Laser weaponry has a whole "deal extra fire damage" that is completely useless.

For "Intentionally terrible weapons"... Good reason for uniques now isn't there? A legendary Pipe pistol that actually elevates the weapon to usable?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:30:46 pm by Neonivek »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: December 07, 2015, 08:26:45 pm »

Just play in survival difficulty if you really want a certain legendary. Pure probability will be on your side when every other encounter has a legendary foe or two.

One of them is bound to be not a shitty pipe gun or wrench.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: December 07, 2015, 08:28:06 pm »

Just play in survival difficulty if you really want a certain legendary. Pure probability will be on your side when every other encounter has a legendary foe or two.

One of them is bound to be not a shitty pipe gun or wrench.

I will say that if I was a melee character, I am set for life.

---

I don't dislike Fallout 4's mechanics...

I just don't think they are thought through. Especially with the game's pacing.

And Fallout 3 is no masterpiece either and has serious problems... Just that the problems Fallout 4 introduces to the formula is highlighted when you use Fallout 3 as a comparison.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:40:08 pm by Neonivek »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: December 07, 2015, 08:38:36 pm »

I've done pretty well for legendary weapons of all sorts, it's legendary armour I can't find in any decent amount. Almost all of it is leather, metal or raider, which is rather lackluster when you're wearing full sturdy combat armour/rocking it in a full suit of X-01.  :-\

Most annoying part is that legendaries can't be scrapped, which is just annoying.

I'd like it if you could scrap legendaries to get a generic 'legendary component' or something and you could use a bunch of them to give an item a random legendary bonus. It would make useless legendaries something other than vendor trash at least.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: December 07, 2015, 08:41:43 pm »

They belong in a Museum!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: December 07, 2015, 08:49:39 pm »

I'd like it if you could scrap legendaries to get a generic 'legendary component' or something and you could use a bunch of them to give an item a random legendary bonus. It would make useless legendaries something other than vendor trash at least.
*THROWS MONEY*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 462