Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831566 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2015, 08:23:52 pm »

Make sure to name your character 'The Power Fister'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:50 pm »

I had no issues completing the game using energy weapons instead of ballistic ones in new vegas (including sniping deathclaws, although they took two headshots to kill, IIRC), without any of the DLC. If they weren't as good as ballistic weapons, I wasn't aware, but it doesn't seem like it was a serious problem.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 08, 2015, 08:31:53 pm »

Energy weapons far surpass ballistics because energy weapons melt or goo-ify enemies with critical kills.
Black lives matter.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 08, 2015, 09:35:40 pm »

Energy weapons > bullet weapons

Really depends on the game.

Fallout New Vegas? BIG NOPE!... Unless you have New World Blues
Actually, new vegas lets you recycle energy ammo, so you can NEVER run out of shots once you get rolling. With the proper perks, you can turn 2 spent ammo into 1 usable one. That's not counting the recharger guns.

So maybe they don't deal as much damage, but you can shoot forever.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:24 pm »

I have an ammo recycler on my laser pistol (used to on a plasma pistol, but I sold it. Mistake. I have a basegame one now, not GRA.) that remakes one out of four shots, and with ED-E, you always have a toolbench around to make more. I think it's still 4:1 with a toolbench.
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 08, 2015, 09:44:44 pm »

That's hardly remarkable, given that you can convert tin cans, scrap metal, explosives, and ammunition you don't use into whatever bullets or shells you do. A literal cycle of death.

3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 08, 2015, 09:47:26 pm »

Don't you one-up me with things I didn't know you could do. :P
Black lives matter.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 08, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »

I looked it up and I was wrong. The best you can get is 3:1. The Perk.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 08, 2015, 09:56:30 pm »

Don't you one-up me with things I didn't know you could do. :P
To be fair, a lot of that may well be from mods I've forgotten about installing.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 08, 2015, 10:02:35 pm »

Yeah, Fallout 3 actually did dumb it down quite a bit (tag skills as a flat bonus etc.), but they're not going to switch to ES-style experience just because they did that earlier.

I was sort of disenchanted the day I fired up FO3 and found out that was how it was, but I got over it. Seems like every time I acquiesce to the newer, sleeker Bethesda design philosophy and learn to live with it, they hack a couple more pieces off. So I'm essentially waiting for them to do a hat-trick.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 08, 2015, 10:05:12 pm »

Yeah, Fallout 3 actually did dumb it down quite a bit (tag skills as a flat bonus etc.), but they're not going to switch to ES-style experience just because they did that earlier.

I was sort of disenchanted the day I fired up FO3 and found out that was how it was, but I got over it. Seems like every time I acquiesce to the newer, sleeker Bethesda design philosophy and learn to live with it, they hack a couple more pieces off. So I'm essentially waiting for them to do a hat-trick.
Maybe it will reach a point where they cannot cut anything else without leaving nothing, and still do it... causing an underflow error that spawns the most complex RPG ever made.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 08, 2015, 10:17:12 pm »

I found that the biggest issue I had with Skyrim's system of no statistics beyond health, mana and fatigue was that there was little difference between the characters created.

How can I put it? The less statistics there are, the less there is that defines what's different about my warrior from my mage. I like it when a game restricts what you can do (A warrior not being able to join the mages guild unless they have sufficient skill/intelligence) because even the restriction builds the story/world around the character. Also it means you can't do everything in one playthrough.

They could've changed such a check for joining the mages guild to, say, at least 30 in two mage skills.

Likewise in Fallout, it could be assumed that the Brotherhood of Steel would only accept members who had a sufficient level of skill in either repair, big guns, computers or a high intelligence stat to define the fact that they wouldn't let a bandit or average wastelander join.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:32 am »

Or speech, so you can lie your way in.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 09, 2015, 12:33:34 am »

I found that the biggest issue I had with Skyrim's system of no statistics beyond health, mana and fatigue was that there was little difference between the characters created.

How can I put it? The less statistics there are, the less there is that defines what's different about my warrior from my mage. I like it when a game restricts what you can do (A warrior not being able to join the mages guild unless they have sufficient skill/intelligence) because even the restriction builds the story/world around the character. Also it means you can't do everything in one playthrough.

They could've changed such a check for joining the mages guild to, say, at least 30 in two mage skills.

The problem with this is that Beth's design philosophy didn't actually use any of those stats in any way ever, so they might as well be cut. I thought Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion in that regard.

Fallout on the other hand has a pretty different history where stats come up constantly, particularly in dialogue and action, which New Vegas hopefully only served to reinforce. So if it was cut there I would scream bloody murder.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 09, 2015, 12:35:26 am »

The two kind of play off each other two. Fewer stats and ways to define your character create fewer entry points for feeling like you've been rewarded for making flavorful or personal choices. "Man, repair is useful but the fact it let me join the Brotherhood was sweet."

Versus:

Did you put points into Speech or not?

I felt like FO3 made a stab at some of that but, like a lot of Bethesda games, it gets watered down or can't adequately cover the vastness of content they churn out. Skyrim just doubled down on that.

The problem with this is that Beth's design philosophy didn't actually use any of those stats in any way ever, so they might as well be cut. I thought Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion in that regard.

While Oblivion stats may not have hooked into dialog well if at all, they did still provide some granular, enjoyable progression. For thief/agility fighters, being able to level up your run and jump speed was awesome. Compared to Skyrim where, you were pretty much like every other guy out there until you'd gotten the perks to provide that specific bonus. Rather than a granular progression, it's a lurching upgrade scheme where you play half the game under one set of constraints, before magically getting better.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:38:20 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 462