Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830340 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Occiderunt, Diripientur, Redii
« Reply #3450 on: November 15, 2015, 04:05:12 pm »

Melee combat is pretty damn satisfying so far.

Punching robots is the most fun ever.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: November 15, 2015, 04:40:12 pm »

I was wandering through the commonwealth when I ran into a small group of super mutants and Brotherhood knights fighting each other. I closed in to help out the knights when suddenly I heard a minigun going off. I ran for cover and equipped my sniper rifle so I could take out the minigun wielding mutant from a distance. Much to my surprise it was not a mutant holding the minigun, it was my companion dishing out justice with it. She must have grabbed it off of a dead supermutant. I have not seen my companion pick up a gun in the 30 hours I've put into the game so it caught me completely off guard!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: November 15, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »

Melee combat is pretty damn satisfying so far.

Punching robots is the most fun ever.

I really love fighting robots. The more you shoot them, the more parts fall off. Mr Handys and Synths are awesome. I wasn't expecting that level of detail from Beth.
Also, on low levels, fighting broken Mr Gutsies is rather hard since they move a lot and they are missing parts, so it makes it damn hard to hit. When their armor falls off it looks even more freaky.

And by the way, I started going to towns and thing that normal players should do. Damn, I'm happy with it.
I'm also loving the companions. I mean, even if most characters are rather bland or uninteresting, the way each companion reacts, interacts with the world and with each other, and hold very different opinions, likes and distates..it's pretty amazing (very fitting) for a Fallout game. A step in the right direction for sure.

It sort of piss me off that I just got a follower that dislikes when I use Power Armor, since I didn't use PA's until right now. Cleared even crazy places without it.
But of course, now that I'm using it, someone wants to judge me.
There's also a racist one that dislikes Ghouls. I'm always chill with ghouls, so I have to compensate for the dislikes in other ways.

In other note, the game is really slow and awkward in the beginning - especially if you don't go directly to the quest marks. Just exploring without no context, like I did, feels increasingly weird (even if it's fun as hell).
Compared to FO3, for instance, that weirdness barely happens because when you start, there's a huge probability you'll get to Megaton or some other place, which will give some sort of framework and context with lore, world info, faction info, surroundings info, etc.
That's why I think a lot of newbies (and even some types of fans) can be pissed with FO4 at the start. To get any real sense of the world, you have to head to Diamond City, which is far as f***.
It's just my opinion/feeling though, not sure if anyone got that.

I was wandering through the commonwealth when I ran into a small group of super mutants and Brotherhood knights fighting each other. I closed in to help out the knights when suddenly I heard a minigun going off. I ran for cover and equipped my sniper rifle so I could take out the minigun wielding mutant from a distance. Much to my surprise it was not a mutant holding the minigun, it was my companion dishing out justice with it. She must have grabbed it off of a dead supermutant. I have not seen my companion pick up a gun in the 30 hours I've put into the game so it caught me completely off guard!
Hah yes! It happened two times. One of them, the companion picked up a Gamma Gun. I was closing in on the dudes to shotgun them, and the companion killed me. Sad day.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:51:11 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: November 15, 2015, 04:57:41 pm »

I haven't fought robots yet, but feral ghouls also lose limbs.  Particularly to my bladed-tire-iron (Yeah I've still barely started)
It's really cool!  And like someone said earlier, the ghouls are... something.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: November 15, 2015, 04:58:17 pm »

DAMN YOU VAULT 81 TELL ME YOUR SECRETS WHAT DID VAULT-TEC DO TO THIS ONE.
I find it funny how there isn't a way to point out Nick's... Odd, appearance until he specifically mentions that he is a thing even though it's clearly noticable from the moment you meet him.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3455 on: November 15, 2015, 05:07:05 pm »

Wow. Are you racist or something? Just because someone has weird skin and eye colour doesn't mean they're odd.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: November 15, 2015, 05:08:37 pm »

NO NOSE
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3457 on: November 15, 2015, 05:11:13 pm »

WOW, NEXT TIME YOU'RE GOING TO TELL ME THAT IF SOMEONE IS A CRIPPLE HE IS ODD!?
(Also, Nick has a nose? I think...)
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: November 15, 2015, 05:12:48 pm »

The assembly plant has a protectron you can reactivate. It was fun to activate it and see the raiders freaking out, then dashing past a crippled protectron dragging itself forward with its arms and slurring prerecorded sentences to shoot them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: November 15, 2015, 05:12:57 pm »

Sorry, assumed he was one of them ghouligans
She/they

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: November 15, 2015, 05:29:21 pm »

lol people who say THAT about fallout 3's super mutants are dumb

i mean that part is explained really well

everything else about the east coast super mutants are idiotic though

generic goddamn orcs who have some sort of ill-explained stupid instinctual drive to dip more people
Hey, fuck you too, buddy.

It's shitty writing to retcon in YET ANOTHER transfer of FEV research (over such a huge distance compared to the first transfer at that) for the sake of explaining why they shoved in a memorable faction from the first game. Same goes for the other two factions' excuses. Like there's nothing of interest in the Fallout universe outside of what happened in the West coast like a hundred years ago. Instantly the game's lore becomes really shallow, with a handful of small factions operating everywhere despite existing in a post-apocalyptic hell hole with limited means of long-range communication and travel.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: November 15, 2015, 05:32:50 pm »

I'm also loving the companions. I mean, even if most characters are rather bland or uninteresting, the way each companion reacts, interacts with the world and with each other, and hold very different opinions, likes and distates..it's pretty amazing (very fitting) for a Fallout game. A step in the right direction for sure.

It sort of piss me off that I just got a follower that dislikes when I use Power Armor, since I didn't use PA's until right now. Cleared even crazy places without it.
But of course, now that I'm using it, someone wants to judge me.
There's also a racist one that dislikes Ghouls. I'm always chill with ghouls, so I have to compensate for the dislikes in other ways.

In other note, the game is really slow and awkward in the beginning - especially if you don't go directly to the quest marks. Just exploring without no context, like I did, feels increasingly weird (even if it's fun as hell).
Compared to FO3, for instance, that weirdness barely happens because when you start, there's a huge probability you'll get to Megaton or some other place, which will give some sort of framework and context with lore, world info, faction info, surroundings info, etc.
That's why I think a lot of newbies (and even some types of fans) can be pissed with FO4 at the start. To get any real sense of the world, you have to head to Diamond City, which is far as f***.
It's just my opinion/feeling though, not sure if anyone got that.

Yeah, the companions are, not unexpectedly, pretty boring so far.
I do like Nick Valentine though but I get the feeling we're not going to be friends any more after I joined the Brotherhood of Steel...

Also, Bethesda's idea of romanceable companions is laughable :)
I mean, I'm not looking for a dating simulator or anything like that but it's basically just raise their affection until max, have a conversation where you both go "I wuv u" and get a perk for your troubles. Oh yeah, and the ability to be extra well rested if you "use" a bed while they're nearby. It's not that there's anything wrong with a mostly implied romance but the whole "I love you, I love you too, even though I've only been thawed out for less than 2 months and I had a partner before that" and then not even so much as an animation of a kiss, a hug, holding hands, ANYTHING. Pretty lame shit. Not that I was expecting anything more than that but calling it romanceable companions seems like a stretch.

Regarding going to settlements, I restarted after playing my first game for a day or two, and decided to play the game like I felt would be realistic, which in effect meant bee-lining straight for any traces of my missing child obviously, and considering all other quests only relevant so far as they contributed to that. So I headed straight for Diamond City, and often got in over my head since the main quest took me places I was not levelled or outfitted for, but it actually felt pretty nice to do it like that. Of course now there's a bit of a natural slowdown in the urgency of the main story so I had the time to actually help out around Sanctuary and join the Brotherhood.
Settlement building is fun enough, but I really wish those smucks at Sanctuary Hills, and all the other places you can get, would do some damn work of their own instead of just loafing around when I'm not there.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: November 15, 2015, 05:35:37 pm »

If they're not assigned, they apparently scavenge stuff. Not sure what exactly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: November 15, 2015, 05:51:04 pm »

lol people who say THAT about fallout 3's super mutants are dumb

i mean that part is explained really well

everything else about the east coast super mutants are idiotic though

generic goddamn orcs who have some sort of ill-explained stupid instinctual drive to dip more people
Hey, fuck you too, buddy.

It's shitty writing to retcon in YET ANOTHER transfer of FEV research (over such a huge distance compared to the first transfer at that) for the sake of explaining why they shoved in a memorable faction from the first game. Same goes for the other two factions' excuses. Like there's nothing of interest in the Fallout universe outside of what happened in the West coast like a hundred years ago. Instantly the game's lore becomes really shallow, with a handful of small factions operating everywhere despite existing in a post-apocalyptic hell hole with limited means of long-range communication and travel.
Precedent for eastward journeys was established by (noncanon, granted) Fallout Tactics.  Even discounting that, it's not crazy.
But FEV...  Why would that necessarily be in just one military base?  One that, apparently and mysteriously, had no (loud) Enclave/US agents present.

Honestly curious as to what you mean by "yet another", were there really more than two FEV sites?  Thought it was just Mariposa and DC
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:08:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: November 15, 2015, 06:02:34 pm »

Look basically Fallout 3 did a sort of fiat to not only have super mutants in the game but justify them just being mindless brutes.

But don't take it so seriously. Just treat it as some weird coincidence. I am sure Super Mutants are embarrassed about it.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 462