Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831307 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: THE HYPE TRAIN HAS REACHED ITS DESTINATION
« Reply #3075 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:59 pm »

It's been cutting it for a while, thanks. But now I need to either crack open this laptop and see if I can shove in a discrete card, or get a new PC. And I don't exactly have a big budget for Christmas, so let's hope it's the former!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: November 11, 2015, 12:19:44 pm »

What was the last AAA game you tried to play where your integrated graphics card cut it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: November 11, 2015, 12:23:01 pm »

Considering the game went into a negative steam review valley (most new reviews are negative now even tho the game keeps a positive score) i'd say not buying it and waiting for discounts and modder fixes is the best course of action.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: November 11, 2015, 12:26:16 pm »

OKAY WELL I DON'T PLAY MANY 'MODERN' GAMES BUT SHH

Turns out there's a solid chance of getting a new PC for Christmas. ANOTHER MONTH OF WAITING. BRING IT ON, DESPERATION.
Hooraaaaaaay,
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: November 11, 2015, 12:31:35 pm »

Considering the game went into a negative steam review valley (most new reviews are negative now even tho the game keeps a positive score) i'd say not buying it and waiting for discounts and modder fixes is the best course of action.

Part of that is just the Day 1 or 2 newness wearing off. As time progresses, the butthurtness of the average PC gamer approaches 1.

But yeah. The bugs, the lack of PC-level input mapping, several other things, are keeping me from hitting the buy button. I honestly don't need another 80 hour time waster at the moment, despite how appealing the base building sounds.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:33:41 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: November 11, 2015, 12:43:19 pm »

The user score for the PC version at Metacritic is whooping 4.7/10.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: November 11, 2015, 12:46:41 pm »

Only got a few hours in so far (bought last night, had to wait for download), but my experience so far is okay. Not a fan of the new dialogue mechanics, though the way the different options change in tone can make your character sound amusingly bipolar/schizophrenic if you switch options in the middle of a conversation. (ex. <generic I'm just happy to help> <generic it's not much, but take this> "I DIDN'T DO IT FOR MONEY!")

Haven't really gotten far enough to play around much with perks and mods etc.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: November 11, 2015, 12:47:29 pm »

meh. the building part is horrible, but aside of that, its not a bad game. certainly not 4.7/10 bad.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: November 11, 2015, 12:55:46 pm »

The user score for the PC version at Metacritic is whooping 4.7/10.

Judging by a slice of those reviews, many people seem to have amnesia when it comes to Bethesda games. Honestly, if you bought FO4 and then ran to Metacritic to bitch about how the game was dumbed down, you should have your hands taken away from you, so you can neither type nor buy games.

Because if you've paid any attention to Beth games since fucking Oblivion, you'll know that every successor they put is a streamlined version of its predecessor. So I don't have sympathy for people who bought it and feel like there was a bait and switch. They lied to themselves, effectively, and are trying to rationalize it on Metacritic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: November 11, 2015, 12:56:44 pm »

Okay, I have to admit that the crafting looks extremely compelling, and the FPS/gunplay has been tremendously improved from 3/NV (not that I give a damn about gunplay.)
That said, the negative views on dialog/interaction are really big red flags, can someone who is actually playing give me a solid breakdown on just what level of limitations are here?  Is this Mass Effect level restrictive?  Worse?  Better?
Is the plot as bad as the sidequest writing? (I've already seen that they reused the 'robot who acts like a revolutionary' bit.)
The people whining about the new dialogue don't know what they're on about. It's a massive improvement in just about every way over Bethesda's old dialogue system.

Camera:
+Not locked.
+Switches between close-ups of both you and the person you're talking to as well as broader shots.
+You can literally end conversations by walking away.
+People emote like a vague semblance of real people.
-People still have dead fisheyes.
-Mouth flaps occasionally stutter.

Mechanics: JESUS FUCK THANK YOU NO MORE OF THAT SHITTY DIALOGUE MENU

Options: I've never really felt that I didn't have an option that fit my character. Thanks, probably, to not binding any to a karma system (since FO4 doesn't have one, thank fuck). Usually there's at least one Dudley Doright nice option, one sarcastic option and/or bitter option, one largely toneless option, and one angry/asshole option, but things vary pretty wildly between conversations. CHA challenges show up as differently-colored, with easy ones in gold growing progressively redder as the difficulty increases. That's baseline difficulty, incidentally, not something tied to your CHA.

Also, I savescummed to check, and the CHA/speech challenges are definitely percentage-based on the backend rather than flat have-X succeed-challenge; I failed and succeeded at the same one without any change in my stats or circumstances.

So very much less restrictive than ME. They didn't do a bad job tailoring different options for different sorts of conversation, either. Keep in mind that any of your initial choices branches out into new trees of choices.

The overall plot still looks trite and predictable though.

Slight Armour spoilers for early game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

question: are enemies levelled to scale with you?

I'm not entirely certain, but I think not entirely. The sort of common ghouls which gave me utter hell in my early levels just showed up at a little abandoned cabin I discovered and blew apart to rounds from my pimped-out pistol. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that difficulty is largely location-based, and that some places will scale more than others--I've found places already that I simply had to run away from because I wouldn't have been able to take them without cheating, namely a Deathclaw spawn at ~level 8 and a giant base full of 15-20 super-mutants at ~level 10.

Slight Armour spoilers for early game.
KILL
LOOT
RETURN

But no seriously though, I've got about twenty-odd from that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:51 pm »

Does anyone know how to access buildings you stored in your workshop? I found a doghouse and I wanted to move it so I stored it in the workshop but I can't find it for the life of me.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: November 11, 2015, 01:04:49 pm »

I think it's mostly because people had overblown expectations thanks to all the hype.

If you look at it objectively, it's a good game, even if there are a few issues. In my case, I had to find the ini files (not the ones in the game folder, these do nothing) and fiddle with them because the game doesn't seem to support 4:3 display. And after fixing that, I had to fiddle some more so that the lockpicking minigame would stop being invisible in that resolution. Other than that, sure the interface was obviously made for consoles, but considering that I often play emulated games and console ports, it doesn't really annoy me.

I also realized that one of the features I disliked the most in Fallout3/NV was the VATS, I think that it breaks immersion by pausing the action, and annoys me when I miss shots because of RNG (also the slow mo kills get tiring quickly). So, in my current game, I have forsaken the VATS completely (which means that I can afford to have low scores on half of the stats), and I'm playing it alternatively as a 1st or 3rd person shooter. I find 3rd person more accurate but sometimes, indoors, it messes with the camera and it's hard to tell if there's an obstacle between your gun and the target. 1st person however is better when exploring.

The part that I like the most so far is the crafting and, more specifically, the recycling aspect. I just love being able to clean up the rubble, getting rid of all the old crap sitting around, and make it as nice and pretty as I can. I'm just a bit sad that most of the things you can build look old and/or scrappy. I kinda wish I could have made stuff that looks as clean as what you can see before the war. I'm sort of hoping that you can find better blueprints later on.

Regardless, I'm really happy that I can unleash my inner packrat and take all the things, knowing they can be turned into materials :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:10:59 pm by Sirian »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: November 11, 2015, 01:08:00 pm »

Thanks FD, that was exactly the kind of data I was looking for.

My graphics card is an older Nvidia GTX 465 with 1 GB of VRAM, would it be able to handle the game at all, or should I just hold off until tax return time?  (I should be fine with everything else I think, tho' my i5 is getting a little long in the tooth as well.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:10:19 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: November 11, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »

The ghouls are so great, first encounter with them was in a sort of misty atmosphere, it was perfect.

Quite enjoying it so far, not doing any quest at all, just exploring.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:58 pm »

I managed to exceed the population limit for Sanctuary and I think it borked the game. The stats on it keep jumping around like it doesn't know what's going on any more.

The population, beds, and happiness figures just change randomly every time I check it.

I've played about 24 hours now and I still haven't gone into Diamond City yet or seen it. All I've been doing is building settlements. The "no bed" bug is a huge source of headaches though. It refuses to assign beds properly.

Also I went from level 15 to 21 not fighting a single thing...
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 462