Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830825 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Charm Drugs with your Charisma
« Reply #2085 on: October 03, 2015, 02:27:26 am »

Again, the tears are delicious.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: October 03, 2015, 03:00:27 am »

Now some of these clueless reviewers are literally saying that it's so great that FO4 is going to be more like Borderlands, and I'm just really sad and confused about that!  Guess we'll see how it turns out.
That's, uh, concerning. I mean, I enjoyed the Borderlands games, but they don't stay with me the way Fallout/Elder Scrolls games do. Can you link the review in question?

I have to admit, it would be funny if the reviewer in question just thinks we need a comparison to Borderlands to understand a game with both shooting and questing in it, the way every hard game was "like dark souls" for the past couple years.
I think it's definitely the latter, i.e. "there's no real point of reference for this, so I'll just look for the closest thing that has superficially similar elements".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: October 03, 2015, 03:48:44 am »

Thoughts on the SPECIAL system.[snip]
This actually makes a lot of sense! Let's see if the last three stats conform to this picture.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: October 03, 2015, 04:05:26 am »

Let's outline the process:

1. FO4 revealed to have a system which generates weapons using sets of parts.
2. Some reviewer says, "Oh, sort of like Borderlands!"
3. "WHAAA BORDERLANDS R TEH SUX I NO BUY IF FO4 IS COPY OF BORDERLANDS"
4. kek

I'd be willing to lay money on the Borderlands comparison being related to the weapon modding/crafting system; that's exactly what it reminded me of at first glance as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: October 03, 2015, 04:24:47 am »

Thoughts on the SPECIAL system.[snip]
This actually makes a lot of sense! Let's see if the last three stats conform to this picture.

That's not sense, that's an overly convoluted rationalization of something that it's far likelier did not have that much thought put into it.
Love, scriver~

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: October 03, 2015, 04:26:24 am »

Or had too much thought put into it and someone in the designer department decided that Charisma needed some more oomph to it.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: October 03, 2015, 04:44:56 am »

Charisma is per tradition a dump stat. It's nice to see it be more relevant.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: October 03, 2015, 04:54:01 am »

Charisma is per tradition a dump stat. It's nice to see it be more relevant.

Charisma has always been kind of unusual. It usually is a dump stat unless you were going for a more diplomatic game...

But then sometimes there were these charisma perks that were oddly useful that used charisma...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: October 03, 2015, 08:57:33 am »

Yeah, plus charisma originally meant more followers.  Which lead to a great exchange in Fallout 2 where I convinced the drug geek at gunpoint to join my party, and he meekly agreed because he was a coward, but then he totally changed tone and said I didn't look strong enough to protect him or something.

So charisma provides...  Better deals, improved relations, certain unusual perks like Divine Favor (reduces PERK RATE, was only in tactics though).  Then also determines how many dudes you can bring into combat with you.  In FO3 it was relatively unimportant, but in New Vegas they did a better job of letting you talk your way through situations.

So yeah CHA was better than in many RPGs

@Borderlands stuff
Wow do I regret offhandedly mentioning that now!
I mean, this article did upset me, but comparing the game to Borderlands and other shooters with RPG elements was only part of that:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/06/08/the-one-feature-i-hope-fallout-4-ditches-from-the-series/

Er actually I kinda loved Borderlands, especially Borderlands 2...  It's just a totally different kind of game, or was.

They're shooters with RPG elements.  Whereas FO3 was a RPG with optional shooter elements.  Then New Vegas was a shooter with RPG elements, but at least the RPG elements were still Fallout mainstays.  Now I'm worried they're throwing out the Fallout mechanics in all but name.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: October 03, 2015, 10:13:43 am »

Though I don't think Fallout 4 is going to be anything but superficially like Borderlands, I can kind of understand the sentiment on wanting to hold off.  The more information released about the game the less and less it sounds like an epic post-nuclear RPG, and the more and more it sounds like your above-average post-apocalyptic FPS.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:59 am »

The more information released about the game the less and less it sounds like an epic post-nuclear RPG, and the more and more it sounds like your above-average post-apocalyptic FPS.

What? Are you for real?

Jeez.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: October 03, 2015, 11:49:18 am »

Is there something there you disagree with?  It's exactly what I was trying to say. 

You didn't have to be a FPS gamer to enjoy Fallout 3, which made sense because it was a 3D installment of a treasured RPG franchise.  It was, despite technically being a 3D shooter, primarily an RPG.  Much like KoTOR.

New Vegas changed that entirely.  While they improved many non-combat portions of the game, and arguably improved the combat, they also *changed* the combat such that VATS was no longer sufficient in most situations.  To enjoy Fallout: New Vegas, you had to have decent FPS ability.  Even if you went with melee or shotgun-type weapons.
It fundamentally moved towards the genre of shooter, with RPG elements on the side.

Now in Fallout 4, they're...
* Potentially nerfing VATS even further, by making it not even pause.  (Though I hold hope that they'll restore the deadliness it offered in FO3)
* Replacing skills with a system of multi-level perks.  Which confirms a continuing lack of interest in the original Fallout RPG mechanics.  It's also the system used in the Borderlands franchise.  At least we still have SPECIAL, but...
* They also changed up what SPECIAL stats do what.

I'm sure they have the best intentions, but they are actively scrapping the classic RPG mechanics of the series.  This *concerns me*.  I think it's reasonable to worry that they'll continue to focus on the manual shooting portion of the game, with player skill trumping character skill.  Because New Vegas already *did* that to a large extent, and now they've even removed skills.

Not that New Vegas was bad, but Fallout 3 proved that they could make a fun 3D RPG.  I don't want it to be yet another Mass Effect or Borderlands.  (Even though those are good games, and I especially LOVE Borderlands 2)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:51:05 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: October 03, 2015, 12:27:08 pm »

Keep in mind that Bethesda Game Studios made Fallout 3 and Obsidian made Fallout: New Vegas. Different people. And Obsidian had some of the original Fallout developers with them.

I keep hoping that final product is good RPG until proved otherwise. And none can really prove otherwise before game is released and someone completes its main quest. And posts review.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: October 03, 2015, 12:29:36 pm »

Yeah that's definitely a reason to be hopeful. We don't really know yet, I'm just worried. And even if it is another shooter, I think it'll be a good one.
She/they

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: October 03, 2015, 12:54:27 pm »

Charisma wasn't a dump stat for me, I persuaded EVERYONE. High charisma is OP. I even talked SPOILER into self-destructing in FO3.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 462