Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829409 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1545 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:29 am »

In a shocking reveal, everyone's just humoring the crazy clone PC who just keeps saying their name in different inflections

Only the "main" characters will call you by name. Everyone else will slide something else in there. "Hey......buddy?" or "Sup.......guy."
This applies to your own character as well
Also of note, Terrifying Presence is still in the game
"I'm going to break your fucking face!"
"Buddy?"
"Yeah, what are you going to do about it!?"
"Buddy"
"What?"
"BUDDY!"
"OH GOD RUN"

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 23, 2015, 10:11:53 am »

How could you forget 'Ol Rexie?

oh my

he's not a d- *get shot*

i honestly forgot, my bad. :|
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1547 on: July 23, 2015, 10:39:54 am »

There is a lot of fighting in this thread.  If people want to avoid consequences for their accounts and if they want to have this thread, they should pause and reflect on their posts before posting them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 23, 2015, 10:42:38 am »

I feel like you've come in after the dust has already settled Toady, but thanks for the warning anyway.

@New Guy: Well, Rex doesn't seem to be that popular anyway. I sorta liked him.
He had the BRAIN of a dog! That's close enough.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #1549 on: July 23, 2015, 11:49:18 am »

Brains in Fallout are weird.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: July 23, 2015, 12:22:23 pm »

@New Guy: Well, Rex doesn't seem to be that popular anyway. I sorta liked him.
He had the BRAIN of a dog! That's close enough.
Rex is most of a dog with the brains of multiple dogs that were merged somehow.

Brains in Fallout are weird.
Very much an understatement, considering what we see happen over all games.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 23, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »

Brains is the next step in human evolution.
Love, scriver~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:45 pm »

"Paid mods will lead to paid patches!"
Sorry, gotta dig up the misapplication of logical fallacies. It's only a slippery slope if you say that A will lead to B with no real reasoning behind it (e.g. saying that it should be illegal to be gay, because otherwise paedophilia would have to be legal either, even though there is no real logical connection between the arguments between the two besides being to do with sex). However, the context here was where the argument in favour of A would also support B (that all work should be charged for).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: July 23, 2015, 01:42:17 pm »

"Paid mods will lead to paid patches!"
Sorry, gotta dig up the misapplication of logical fallacies. It's only a slippery slope if you say that A will lead to B with no real reasoning behind it (e.g. saying that it should be illegal to be gay, because otherwise paedophilia would have to be legal either, even though there is no real logical connection between the arguments between the two besides being to do with sex). However, the context here was where the argument in favour of A would also support B (that all work should be charged for).

That is correct. A lot of people confuse fallacies with the term that those fallacies refer to. A "slippery slope" is just something that if A happens (is allowed), B will probably happen. A "slippery slope fallacy" is when two unrelated things are stated to follow from the other.

It's a pet peeve. It's like when people yell "Godwin! Argument over!" when someone says Hitler or Nazi. Godwin is a prediction of how long it takes to refer to Hitler or the Nazis, not a fallacy. It would be like saying that you lose the argument because your toast fell to the floor on the buttered side.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: July 23, 2015, 01:51:04 pm »

So it's not a slippery slope argument to say that gay marriage weakens the definition of marriage, and eventually it will be weakened to the point that people will be able to marry animals? There is a logical connection from the perspective of the people who make those arguments (though probably one you disagree with).

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: July 23, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »

"The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process that leads to the significant effect."

For example, you would need to demonstrate first that this will result in animals being granted human rights and a status of person-hood before they can be married to humans. However, gay people already are human, and are people, and have (at least in theory) equal rights.

EDIT: At this point it would probably be easier to demonstrate that humans can marry corporations.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:57:40 pm by Sergius »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: July 23, 2015, 01:55:26 pm »

So you're saying it's a very weak argument but not a slippery slope?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: July 23, 2015, 02:01:37 pm »

They're both slippery slopes. It can be a valid slippery slope, or an invalid slippery slope (a fallacy).

For example: saying that the approval of a law that lets the government ignore due process as long as they think one is a really really bad person, will inevitably be abused against other people that aren't bad or have done nothing wrong, is not necessarily a fallacy.

Slippery slope doesn't mean "your argument is invalid". The argument isn't in a slippery slope, whoever is predicted to abuse said law is the one in the slippery slope.

• In the classical form, the arguer suggests that making a move in a particular direction starts something on a path down a "slippery slope". Having started down the metaphorical slope, it will continue to slide in the same direction (the arguer usually sees the direction as a negative direction).
  • Modern usage includes a logically valid form, in which a minor action causes a significant impact through a long chain of logical relationships. Establishing this chain of logical implication (or quantifying the relevant probabilities) makes this form logically valid; the slippery slope argument remains a fallacy if such a chain is not established.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:04:39 pm by Sergius »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: July 23, 2015, 02:04:17 pm »

More that the entire premise of the argument (definition of marriage, "strength" of sexual morals, inevitability of endless expansion on an issue) is bushtit to begin with.

The perspective of the person holding the argument seeing it as logical means nothing. You can perceive anything as logical if you have strong enough bias.

More on topic, this game is going straight to the boycott list for me. Maybe I'll revive the PSA thread and make this the topic of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: July 23, 2015, 02:26:36 pm »

Please do. This has gotten to be rather silly at this point and I'm starting to regret contributing to it. I ain't gonna argue about it any more, at least until we get more information either way.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:52:07 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 462