Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829717 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1290 on: July 20, 2015, 11:43:54 pm »

Besides, it's not like anyone sensible buys Bethesda RPGs at release anyways. You might as well wait a couple months until the unofficial patches are out, the UI and other essential mods are finished, and the game goes on sale.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 20, 2015, 11:46:01 pm »

Honestly, I'm just worried that if Fallout 4 flops, they just won't make another Fallout game and keep pushing paid mods. I think it would be a better idea to just not buy mods. If Bethesda isn't making money off of it, they won't bother putting the time and energy into supporting it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 20, 2015, 11:53:29 pm »

Honestly, I'm just worried that if Fallout 4 flops, they just won't make another Fallout game and keep pushing paid mods. I think it would be a better idea to just not buy mods. If Bethesda isn't making money off of it, they won't bother putting the time and energy into supporting it.

If Fallout 4 flops and they keep pushing paid mods boycott their next game too. Boycott all of their games until they go out of business and the franchises get picked up by another company
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 21, 2015, 12:03:24 am »

I don't think that's a problem with how well Fallout Shelter has done and all the hype that's surrounded Fallout 4 for the past year, what with the fake release sites, the E3 coverage and excitement, pre-orders and how fast the pip-boy editions sold, etc.  They'd have to be very dense to not realize if there were a dip in projected sales it wasn't because of the idea of paid mods considering the initial reaction to it.

That said I have to agree with Flying Dice, people really need to hop of the hype trains when it comes to initial releases in general(not just Bethesda games).  I'll personally be waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition when it's on sale depending on how things pan out. 

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 21, 2015, 12:08:18 am »

I would like to think that the deciding factor will be whether the quality mods are free or paid for. If they're free then why go for the paid alternative? The answer to this would be get the most well known modders on board the flagship.

I don't think there's much chance of Bethesda stopping making Fallout games. It's their, what, 2nd most popular I.P? A decision like adding paid mods is not one that they would've made lightly and I would guess a fair amount of research went into it's possible application. Though, remember New Coke and how research said people liked that much more than the original, then see the result when it was released.

I do think modding should be free. I do not expect mods for games and if people do make mods it's more something they do in their spare time to add to the community as I see it.

If Bethesda wants to have a section for paid mods, perhaps they should frame it more as a "young developers" circle. People get added to the group funded by Bethesda where they can work closely with the company to produce content to buy, with the potential for placement in the company if they do exceptional work as well as future résumé material.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 21, 2015, 12:16:25 am »

If Bethesda wants to have a section for paid mods, perhaps they should frame it more as a "young developers" circle. People get added to the group funded by Bethesda where they can work closely with the company to produce content to buy, with the potential for placement in the company if they do exceptional work as well as future résumé material.

I like this idea really.

Perhaps it could be used to screen thieves by presenting a mod portfolio, with only those being the nicest or at least things that make sense or simply awesome being presented to Bethesda to make "Mini-DLCs", with a catch requiring them to explain how a certain portion of their mod-code works to prove they're the author of the mod.

And in the case of mods being made by multiple authors, consent must be required to include them each into the project, OR allowing the individual to publish it alone.

This still kills the modding scene somewhat (open code guides, mod dependencies, etc). :/
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 21, 2015, 12:40:31 am »

Maybe move away from calling them "mods"? If they're made with Bethesda aid (something which I think would be useful as there is things modders can't do due to the codebase being difficult to figure out. Extra animations and the like) perhaps calling them "C-DLC" or similar would help. C-DLC (Community Downloadable Content).

If they aren't called mods then people won't have the expectations of cross compatibility, free, sharing codebase and everything else that can still exist under the mod label.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1297 on: July 21, 2015, 01:18:02 am »

I'd go so far as to say that paid mods will kill the modding community.

Yeah, it'll basically gentrify it.

hey lets all freak out again,

or vote with your wallet and not buy the paid mods?

And don't buy Bethesda's products either!
How is a singular feature in one game detrimental to all of Bethesda's other products? That's just poor sense.

If it doesn't fail it could spread. Not just to Bethesda's other games, to everywhere.
It's not a zombie plague (Like EA), it's a policy. Not everyone is going to do it even if this does work-Which I still doubt it even will.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 21, 2015, 01:23:13 am »

You have far, FAR too much faith in game publishers.

Plus, Beth is the main company when it comes to having modded games. JUST them is too much.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1299 on: July 21, 2015, 01:25:12 am »

I'd go so far as to say that paid mods will kill the modding community.

Yeah, it'll basically gentrify it.

hey lets all freak out again,

or vote with your wallet and not buy the paid mods?

And don't buy Bethesda's products either!
How is a singular feature in one game detrimental to all of Bethesda's other products? That's just poor sense.

If it doesn't fail it could spread. Not just to Bethesda's other games, to everywhere.
It's not a zombie plague (Like EA), it's a policy. Not everyone is going to do it even if this does work-Which I still doubt it even will.

What about what happened with DLC? That really took off with the advent of  the Horse Armor DlC for Oblivion. Now, nearly every game has some form of DLC.
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:38 am »

And no doubt they'll again try to frame it as being benefitual to misdeeds and that "modders deserve to be acknowledge/make money". Well duh! Of course they do. The problem is that only the seller of the end product would get reimbursed, and not anyone part of the infrastructure that the mod was made in.

Besides, it's not like anyone sensible buys Bethesda RPGs at release anyways. You might as well wait a couple months until the unofficial patches are out, the UI and other essential mods are finished, and the game goes on sale.

Lots of sensible people buy Bethesda games at release. That's how they make most of their money, as you probably already know. Point is that these people aren't any less sensible than you or me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:31:45 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 21, 2015, 01:44:44 am »

also logic:

bethsoft makes game, gets income for making the game the mod runs. Okay that's reasonable somewhat. How about the inevitable FO4SE?

Most mods run on script extenders. Shouldn't they get profits too, the same way bethsoft does if they say that THAT's the case?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 21, 2015, 02:22:23 am »

That was one of the big points that wasn't just mob ranting when the issue originally arose. It's part of the broader image of paid mods as inherent detrimental to the community. Not only do you have the outright theft, but you also have the company and paid mod makers (even otherwise legitimate ones) profiting from the work of completely unrelated modders. If it was done "properly", you'd then end up with a situation where either core essentials like SKSE/FO4SE cost money, or paid mods are inherently gimped because they can't use those resources -- no bets as to which outcome Bethesda prefers, though of course they'd settle for "blah blah we own mods because they're based on our games, you have no rights to your content".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 21, 2015, 02:28:02 am »

That was one of the big points that wasn't just mob ranting when the issue originally arose. It's part of the broader image of paid mods as inherent detrimental to the community. Not only do you have the outright theft, but you also have the company and paid mod makers (even otherwise legitimate ones) profiting from the work of completely unrelated modders. If it was done "properly", you'd then end up with a situation where either core essentials like SKSE/FO4SE cost money, or paid mods are inherently gimped because they can't use those resources -- no bets as to which outcome Bethesda prefers, though of course they'd settle for "blah blah we own mods because they're based on our games, you have no rights to your content".

the funny thing is that, SKSE is technically 3rd party content; it does not use the GECK or the TESCK to make it, being run as a launcher with code modified from the launcher itself and modifying/extending the programming language the gajne uses.

Script Extender is not really made by bethesda, thus.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: July 21, 2015, 03:31:03 am »

Also, I can't see how that works. I could understand "It's our game, blah blah, we own the rights to distribution and monetisation etc." but I just don't see how they can say. "If you make this thing, with this creation kit we provide, we OWN the thing."

It's like Adobe owning everything made with Flash. And Photoshop.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 462