Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829760 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1245 on: July 20, 2015, 12:55:33 pm »

If they start this paid mods shit again I'm changing all my Steam reviews for Bethesda games to negative
Why? The games aren't bad, just the company's practices.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??!
« Reply #1246 on: July 20, 2015, 12:58:48 pm »

You'll also need to not use any free versions to avoid the ads, and even then I feel like it'll have an impact on the community as a whole.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1247 on: July 20, 2015, 01:02:45 pm »

If they start this paid mods shit again I'm changing all my Steam reviews for Bethesda games to negative
Why? The games aren't bad, just the company's practices.
Thing is, the games generally are bad and only playable because of mods. At least, Skyrim and Oblivion were.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 20, 2015, 01:04:07 pm »

Dammit! The title just changed on my updated topics page. Are they really going to push for that garbage again?
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 20, 2015, 01:04:51 pm »

If it runs off Workshop again there will be free mods. Really the big issue with the paid mods was that there were already established modding communities before Workshop even existed. With Fallout 4 they can start with a fresh plate. That being said though Workshop is a bitch to work with and modders would probably still consider outside sources but I think Bethesda can pull this off again without riots like before.

edit: but then you got people like OP who wants to start stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 20, 2015, 01:09:30 pm »

Fallout too.  Fallout 3 was literally unplayable for me on release, I couldn't go a half hour without crashing and the game wasn't worth trying to fix.  And Oblivion had a bug on the Clavicus Vile quest that made it impossible to complete, since I had it on 360 and didn't have internet yet I couldn't patch it.

Even Morrowind was more of an "I love this game despite it being bad" than a real masterpiece.  Lots of bugs and weirdness.

I'm fully expecting Fallout 4 to follow the trend.  I haven't even watched the trailer.

But yeah, the thing that started this was a little ambiguous, I like the kneejerk outrage that followed.  Honestly, mods are always going to be free, just like everything on the internet, because our property and copyright laws are inadequate to deal with the nature of the internet.  But I won't say more about that cause it's not allowed.
Shoes...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 20, 2015, 01:14:33 pm »

The thing with Bethesda is for some reason they can't code shit right. Either its them or the stupid Engine they use. NV crashed alot less than 3 due to the optimizations that Obsidian had to put in and technically created their own fork of the engine.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 20, 2015, 01:19:39 pm »

As much excitement I have for FO4 despite this thread's seemingly endless hate, I do really wish Obsidian would get to step in and help. And not be rushed. At all. Seriously don't fucking rush another one of obsidian's games please ;n;
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 20, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »

I don't understand the hate about paid mods.
Sure, the companies get most of the money and that is "unfair" (but hey, capitalism oh !).
But as long as nothing prevents free mods, we will have fixes for the blatant bugs, and many "little" mods will be free.

Most mods that add a companion with many quests and graphics won't be free. But why shouldn't the modder get something from it ?

As an unemployed "developper", I wouldn't mind developping a few paid mods for some extra money...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 20, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »

Can we actually start repeating the song-and-dance over paid mods once we get some concrete information on them being included or not, please?

Otherwise you're making much ado about nothing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1255 on: July 20, 2015, 01:33:45 pm »

They basically said "Oh well, we'll try again next time" when paid mods didn't work out the first time, and I'm sure Beth isn't altruistic enough to give mods to console gamers without an ulterior motive.

I'm fine with big mods carrying a small price tag, like that dude who made several new questlines with lore, maps and everything, but the examples we've had so far were, with one exception, shitty, buggy and unfinished. Like two of them were just model rips from DOTA 2, one was a very shitty-looking underground town, most of the armor items didn't even have inventory models.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 20, 2015, 01:50:58 pm »

The only thing I really care about, assuming paid mods happen for FO4, is how Bethesda and/or Steam plan to protect and police the content people put up for sale. Companies always seem willing to take money for something, but are rarely willing to put out the effort to actually enforce anything.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:07 pm »

The only thing I really care about, assuming paid mods happen for FO4, is how Bethesda and/or Steam plan to protect and police the content people put up for sale. Companies always seem willing to take money for something, but are rarely willing to put out the effort to actually enforce anything.
The best and worst option would lock it into an Workshop Only solution and force mod devs to focus from one platform. Valve can intervene alot harder if a user is suspected of stealing and selling someone's work.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 20, 2015, 02:01:29 pm »

Sure is a good job that you can modify the game files regardless of what marketplace is available, then. I don't see how they could force you to use the Workshop.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 20, 2015, 02:03:26 pm »

Tell any website to stop distributing mods if they refuse to comply.

Nexusmods, for example.

It's probably not that hard if you have a badass legal team.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 462