Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28656 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

I like seeing the interaction.

I need to write up the Kai next, although "psychic hive mind crab wasps in a symbiotic relationship with a possibly sapient swamp flower" is actually a very fair description.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

I would like to know how to go about rping as the Kai~

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

I will post IC when I'm not on my phone, but my vote is for "We aren't that stupid" first, then CEO defence and finally honour.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

I would like to know how to go about rping as the Kai~
Reference source 1
Reference source 2

Albeit the technology will probably be outdated by now.

And Ozarck, we won't have an obligation. At all. We are volunteering to assist him, so that we have better access to good shit. Space Stations cost upkeep, yo. Besides, I would really rather not make enemies with the Alliance.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

The Kai - or specifically, the Tech Kai - are about what you get when you have something like this with longer antenna and this, from "small dog" to "large horse" and "small house" size, although their limbs are covered in what looks like fuzzy spikes. They are in a symbiotic relationship with a ridiculously adaptive (and quite possibly omnivorous) swamp flower that is possibly the greater power in the relationship, although the Kai themselves would probably disagree and offer complex theology to sufficiently advanced Drones, Nurses, and Junior Queens. They feed upon its leaves and flowers, and for every Queen, there's a Queen Flower that's bigger, stronger, and more psychically present. This tends to be the mother plant for all future Flowers in the colony. It's common practice to gather dozens of cultures of the plants for the Queen Flower and plant them in the same bed to compete for the spot.

The particular culture came about after the True Queen decided that the war with the galaxy was unproductive towards the Cause and decided to set out on Her own with the latest and most productive crop of the Flowers from the Prime Hiveworld. All of it - those of the new generations left behind died inexplicably and suddenly, and the Body Kai were never quite able to make the remaining Flowers work quite as well (not that the Tech Kai ever found out, or even bothered to ask.) After years of a very large fleet wandering around space, the Queen stumbled across Synthetic Civilization and was delighted to find that She had created a new race. After the initial alliance, the Queen further spoke with the then-current Prime Intelligence and, after spending a long time privately with the Queen Flower, decided that the other species in the Galaxy were presently bound to achieve victory, and that survival rested in going along with the movement and eventually regaining planets. From there, it wasn't far that the Queen decided that the other species were, if not exactly equals, possibly peers, and that something resembling adherence to the basic tenets of "galactic civilization" was advantageous for Her and "Us".

Nobody really knows if the Queen means "for now" or "for good" aside from possibly the Princess. Until that future time, the Queen is engaging in "trade" as an intellectual amusement and as a tool to acceptably manipulate others without "enslaving", but merely "directly expressing good-will psychically as We would to one of Our own, since You would possibly be alarmed or offended by Our dancing and pheromones". They don't use mind speak directly towards most races, instead using translator machines, and other species can "hear" intended feelings much like you can hear sounds. It's entirely within Kai capability to mind-slave someone, but they typically refrain from doing so on the grounds of "Our Queen's Law tells Us that We are not to do things that would cause the Second Great Xenocide."

Since the True Queen is, by definition, a victorious rebel, She has taken the precaution (possibly with the consent or by the imperative of the Flowers) of making sure that only the True Queen and the Princess can create Royal Jelly in significant amounts. It can't be eliminated from Junior Queens without sterilizing them (and possibly risking the Flowers) so the Queen simply allows them to create what they can to enhance their Hive, lay eggs, or perform bioscience. Despite attempts by the occasional False Queens (one of whom actually managed to take over for a short time), none have been able to overcome Her lock, and the Princess is demonstrably loyal as shown by her bringing down the Queen That Failed. There will only be one Rebel Queen who becomes the True Queen, whenever that moment may be, and the True Queen is doing her best to make sure that Her inevitable and proper replacement is fit to surpass Her.

So,as a Kai of sufficient Rank and Caste to command a ship (probably a L5 Junior Queen and a L5 Tech or Nurse Drone, or possibly a lower level Junior Queen), there'd be a lot of Royal We / Imperial Us sort of thing in addition to the regular Kai "Our." They move when awake and sleep when not, mostly, so they are animated speakers. There would absolutely be at least two Queen Flowers on board, possibly three, although far enough away from each other to not go into VIOLENT PSYCHIC DEATH COMBAT mode. As Higher Kai, you'd be able to directly possess lesser Kai and use their bodies with all of their mind's knowledge in addition to your own, so you could easily lead an Elite Marine. Death is pretty painful and leaves you mind blind for a week or two, unless the Flowers smile upon you, so be careful.

It's possible that you guys would have accepted a name that resembles what you see in the Flowers as Ourself, but not all Kai are willing to do so. Most of the Old Generation insist that individual scents and minor differences in color and features are enough for any true Kai, but there's a growing movement among some of the Current Generation and the New Generation to bring the Flowers to the Galaxy so they understand. The Queen has taken no stance whatsoever upon the issue, which can reasonably be interpreted as "yes" when "no" tends to leave bodies and is much more direct (and typically immediate.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:45:29 pm by Ross Vernal »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

And Ozarck, we won't have an obligation. At all. We are volunteering to assist him, so that we have better access to good shit. Space Stations cost upkeep, yo. Besides, I would really rather not make enemies with the Alliance.
"I want to cultivate this low-level, failing CEO into the King of the Stocks, branching out into a business in which we have little expertise. Come on, it won't tax our resources, time, and effort at all. There's no way we'd have to spend massive amounts of time, energy, money and manpower to make this work."

My point isn't that we'd be obligated to him, but that that kind of goal is an obligation in itself, by it's nature, if you want it to succeed realistically at all. Unless, in this highly detailed and complex game, you want the GM to hand wave corporate success for us?

I get your reservations about fighting the Alliance, but this wouldn't make us their enemies, per se. Only their opponents for the moment. Yes, it would reduce our favor for them, but no, it wouldn't logically get them hunting us down as if we were bloody pirates, either.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Certain missions may lead to further missions and advancing the Galaxy plot. If you save the CEO and his Deal works out, it's almost certain that he's going to hire you to push back at the folks who thought that invasion and takeover were acceptable ways to cheat The Deal. If that works out, then stuff happens.

I'm not particularly interested in adding Planetary CEO mechanisms to the game, so that NPC will take his risk rolls just like you do, and if he ends up becoming significant, it'll be folded into the Admiralty money or something not too much of a PITA.

While you guys aren't exactly the only force that moves the plot, your actions will affect it noticeably. Saving this average low middle Rift technocrat will lead to the Rift changing, although his death would just be another news story otherwise.

I'm not always going to point out plots or drop obvious hints, but they exist. Eventually it will be fair game to notice this IC, too.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...He's low on liquidation at the moment. That's all. It's not a matter of branching out into a different business, it's a matter of having an assured place to sell and/or fence our stuff to, at good prices. We make sure he has business, he makes sure our fleet's in top shape. That's how I want to cultivate him. I want to feed him delicious opportunities. If he doesn't have what it takes, he'll fail anyway. If he does, and he's just down on his luck...

Also, he's the CEO of a planet. In what way is that low-level?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

2. Prevent Takeover

A small fish Planetary CEO with very little in liquid funds is aware that certain creditors within the Rift want to enact a hostile takeover, and are renting out a fleet and Marines enough to do so. He can't actually afford to pay at the moment, and for several consecutive moments, although if you manage to keep him in business, The Deal says that he'll open up the planetary shipyards (800 space) to the Fleet at cut-throat rates 6 months in the future even if it does bankrupt him.

Assuming he's still in business in six months, anyway...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's relative, Ozarck. He still runs a bloody planet.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

And we run a fleet of ships capable of conquering several planets. We're going to have powerful clients. Sure, nurture the contact. But don't get so hung up on making big plans for one NPC. And remember this, too, there are what? ten of us? Not just you and me. Things can go a lot of different ways. And should.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

His planet has an annual GDP of about 65,000bc a year (see: 2010 global GDP, which is pretty low for this setting), with maybe 320bc a year to spend on the planetary space defenses. While he could theoretically turn out or buy a giant fleet by finangling, mortgaging, etc etc, there's only so much that he can spend on guns instead of butter, and even that gets divided among all of the necessary military for a planet.

It's sort of implied that he owns a nice family yacht and has a secret money stash upon which to draw to pay if the trade shares he purchased fail and he can't put money up to get credit. Failing that, he might see the numbers on the wall, quickly build the most useful possible ship he can think of, and go find you and try to join. (Or he'll skip out of town and you be screwed, but the Admiral says that the CEO is about as honest as a Rift manager can be given his upbringing, power, and situation. (In other words, don't roll a 1. :p)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ross. Question about planetary invasion:

Is looting legal? Like, mid op, could we land some marines at a bank and rob the place? Even if no valid military targets are nearby?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty sure that's a no, Kevak, seeing as how it's completely unnecessary and unrelated to securing the planet, and is basically just ransacking civilian property just because.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about looting military accounts? Could potentially be classed under "Disabling future capacity to attack"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37