Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28673 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Better?
« Reply #300 on: June 13, 2015, 02:04:12 pm »

Terran Alliance: semi-expansionist, heir to the old dominant interstellar nation of man and seaking their old glory?
Galactic League: Embittered "live and let live"?
Kai Dominion: Civilized Zerglings (and some not so civilized - Starcraft reference if you need that)
Merope: Predators (from the Schwarzenegger film)Ross said on pg 5 or so.
Synthetics: AI ships (and other AIs)
Rift: A MegaCorporation who's outlook is entirely business oriented. human
Octav: Religious, Musical Whalebugs (that might not be exactly what Rolep said, but I'm totally going with it. Canon.)
Coalition of Monarchies: exactly what it says on the tin (think Honor Harrington's world if you've read any of that) human
Red Star: Super-expansionist dick "Noble Savage" dragon-Tigers. Emperor and ancestor worship, honor and work ethic

*I mean Terran, not Human, as uplifted monkeys, dolphins, and ... i don't know, dogs and cats? are intelligent species by now and can even be part of the crew. I want my XO to be a monkey and my tactical officer to be a cat. Not a humanoid cat. A cat.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Fleet: Mission selection and strategizing (9/?? players)
« Reply #301 on: June 13, 2015, 02:35:43 pm »

Posting to play, I've read through a good bit of this and have an idea of what I want to play. But if you guys have any ideas on my role feel free to input.  :D
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 13, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »

We've got all the basics covered, I think, so you're free to play what you want. You could join Kevak & Co. if you want. Though I don't really want to remake their ship...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 13, 2015, 03:17:27 pm »

Posting to play, I've read through a good bit of this and have an idea of what I want to play. But if you guys have any ideas on my role feel free to input.  :D

Oh, the dice love you. 12 4 5, so 210bc.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 13, 2015, 03:48:49 pm »

I suggest we let him come in after the first mission. Speaking of which, let's go ahead with the Prevent the Takeover one, to speed things up (barring any objections from our silent members, of course). Before we commit, though, let's examine the contract. I'm sure standard mercenary "in over our heads," "betrayed by the customer," and "on condition of failure to pay according to agreement" clauses are in effect.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 13, 2015, 03:57:35 pm »

Sweet too bad my dice rolls in dnd aren't as good. But anyways i was thinking of having a small fleet or battle group you could call it of smaller ships to serve as a swift strike force, or something along those line with a armored cruiser at the head.

Also I was wondering if it was possible to have elite marines on(spec ops), like the fleet's navy seals or something like that.
Terran
Captain: James Barron
Bonus(Will change if not allowed)
Special Forces Division Commander: 10% more effective Marines, easier to recruit marines?

Bio: Grew up with rich parents but could not stand how they looked at the world and their refusal to help it, and as soon as he was able he joined the military. His combat prowess and tactical sense were quickly noted, and he proceeded to shoot up the ranks until he gained command of his own division.
He has great respect for all the other races for he has fought with many of them, and he eventually got fed up with his military's attitude towards some of the other races. Then his parents died and left him with everything, so he took the chance and struck out on his own to form his own group witch welcomes all races.

Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 13, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »

If you mean that to apply just to your own, it can be higher. If it means "The entire fleet" then that's reasonable as it is. Maybe buy a Q-ship so you can bring more Marines along as an armed fast transport.

Same "feel free to mess with this" thing. I am probably going to leave Rolepgeek to flavortext the races he came up with because all of the PM's totally indicate he has a better idea than I do. :D

Terran Alliance: The oldest cluster of Human civilizations and the stewards of sapient non-Human Terran life, with thousands of years of history, comfortable tradition, huge powerful ships with an active tradition of policing their space and fending off invaders and traitors, as well as wealth and industry. They're proud of their accomplishments and their unity, and have a strong central government on Earth.

Aside from that, thoughts on rankings.  In order, Military/Industry/Economy/Population/Power.

Alliance   2   2   4   2   1
Rift       6   1   1   3   2
Coalition   3   3   5   4   3
Formation   1   6   9   1   4
League   7   4   2   5   5
Hegemony   5   8   3   6   6
Empire   4   9   7   7   7
Civilization   9   5   6   9   8
Dominion   8   7   8   8   9

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 13, 2015, 06:52:42 pm »

I wanna hear what you have to say about the original factions, first, Ross. Get a sense for how they should be written. Otherwise I'll go overboard.

Although, I feel like Rift should be 4, Coalition should be 2, and Alliance should be 3, in terms of Population. Coalition just isn't organized; they're pretty damn big. I do find the Merope kinda funny in how they have the best military and the most people, but worst economy and shoddy industry. All those loans, I'm guessing?

On a similar note, I'm guessing these differences aren't huge? I mean, I didn't realize how much of a discrepancy there was between League and Alliance. I thought the Alliance was the one in trouble...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 13, 2015, 07:34:46 pm »

I do find the Merope kinda funny in how they have the best military and the most people, but worst economy and shoddy industry. All those loans, I'm guessing?

A whole bunch of loans and very little trade because the League won't carry their goods and the Rift have several reasons to follow suit (aside from where it can overcharge, naturally). They're going to be paying the cost for the war for a long time, and it is higher than expected.

On a similar note, I'm guessing these differences aren't huge? I mean, I didn't realize how much of a discrepancy there was between League and Alliance. I thought the Alliance was the one in trouble...

The difference between Alliance and Conglomerate is about the difference between the Conglomerate and the Coalition. So they are the first tier nations because of their advantages.

The Formation and League have the same sort of relationship relative to each other as Alliance and Conglomerate. They're secondary powers, but while the Formation's star is falling, the League's is rising. It's entirely possible for a first tier nation to drop into a secondary power. Some analysis place the Hegemony here as well, but the League is to the Hegemony what the Coalition is to the Formation.

The Empire is the biggest of the small fish, and has a very nasty bite. Civilization and Dominion are within shouting distance, although the Dominion is as far behind Civilization as Civilization is behind the Empire.

Power doesn't include diplomacy. Yeah, Alliance is powerful, but it's first among equals and and they're dealing with a hostile secondary power with allies who, by hitting them in the shipping hard enough, increasing their navy to 5th most powerful, and getting more shipping by dealing with an Alliance rival (which is extremely plausible in the immediate future) can claim status in the first tier just like the Hegemony can be regarded as second. Plus, there is absolutely room for the population to grow and it is expected to continue to grow.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:36:51 pm by Ross Vernal »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2015, 07:36:02 pm »

The Rift Conglomerate was formed while the Monarchy worlds were just getting settled. the League formed from frontier worlds, while the alliance had the wealthy, populous central worlds. It's actually a pretty common trend in sci-fi, and the numbers seem to match up fairly well for that history. And the Alliance in the OP looks like it is building a fleet against potential multiple threats, and sending them out to other civs, rather than acting defensively (even our initial offers have them pressing into league space)

As for the level of difference, it could be quite huge, as in the Honorverse, where every human civ was a small faction on the edge of Terran space, even the vastly larger nation that the Monarchies were fighting (I forget - the Republic or something like that). Eventually, through the series, the Monarchy's tech superseded even Terra's, in part due to the Mary Sue nature of the central character. -rant snipped- Point being, in the sci i world, those differences can be profound. I think, for game mechanics, that a tech parity might be simpler, at least.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 13, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »

any chance of getting the IC thread up soon, or at least getting the mission briefing up?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 13, 2015, 07:45:41 pm »

I sent out PM's so I am figuring to get it up as soon as I get a few more responses.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 13, 2015, 08:03:01 pm »

I was wanting to trend away from the Honorverse for a lot of stuff. But the differences aren't going to be anything close to Solarian League versus PRH. Or even SL vs. SEM. The Civilization created stuff like the Fleetkiller, after all.

Alliance Battle Fleet next, by the way. Not all that sure about League or Kai design philosophy in terms of fleets. Or normal Civilization, for that matter.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 13, 2015, 08:05:33 pm »

League tend to build light versions of the big ships and are heavy on the ships they can produce for cheap.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 13, 2015, 08:11:53 pm »

Aye, but I'm not sure whether they prefer to go as high as they can while still getting them cheap, or simply spam Destroyers and Corvettes, whether they would rather load up on Energy and Missiles on every ship, or split between ships, whether they would use League Armed Freighters in a battle fleet for resupply and the like, &etc.

Kai like energy, but do they like it on bigger, tougher ships, or smaller, faster ones? How much do they even bother with missiles? Do they follow a sort of Queen+Drones tactic with fleets, using a giant flagship and a bunch of smaller, very specialized ships? Or do they prefer to have the full hierarchy, with Queens, Predators, Soldiers, and Drones spread across the ship tiers? Do they favor ways to get in close to board, or save that for after the battle?

How many of the ships in a Civilization fleet would be sentient? How much would they rather spend on sentient versus nonsentient? Do they like big sentient ships, or lots of Smart Fighters?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:13:27 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37