Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28586 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Fleet, Version 2.0: 8/? Captain-Owners enlisted
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2015, 12:34:47 pm »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

How about an update to the OP with all the current players added?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

I will do this today.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

I have a coule questions. I feel like I don't fully understand the ship charts. What does base missile mean? Is that the standard number of missile tubes at a given size? what's the difference between fighters and interceptors? I figure bombers target installations rather than ships? what does the 10+2 mean in the fighter compliment slot? 10 fighters plus two yachts or something?

ly/day min/max means "minimum and maximum light years per day travel time for this Hyper band," right?
i.e a ship with 5.822/7.06 in Eta will travel 21 light years in a minimum of three days at 7.06ly/d and a max, given a properly functional ship, in under four days.

I can only afford a parasite carrier (in terms of carriers) alone, and wouldn't have the money to put in even one repair shop, unless I cut a lot out elsewhere, so I thought I'd go with some ecm, antimissiles and five additional fighters/interceptors.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i want to fly a bomber(fully supped up of course )
if that's okay with everyone else

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

sure. pool your money with mine, we'll buy a bigger carrier, and you can be wing commander.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sure. pool your money with mine, we'll buy a bigger carrier, and you can be wing commander.
deal

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Base size, followed by medium size, so on. Then damag, hit,  and cost.

Base missiles start at 10 damage per swarm of 10, with a maximum fire rate of 20 missiles per "round". In case you want to try to swamp the enemy defenses or are in a hurry to get out of Dodge and want to try to damage the enemy on your way out.

Interceptors are designed to prevent Bombers from doing their job of attacking heavier targets and to stop scout interceptors. They are developed as a Fighter variant. The Fighter itself was the first small craft, and it's remaining sort of middling because it has a lot of roles to fulfill. Bombers are for attacking heavier targets, or for acting as defense - you might have noticed that the Hanchu Counterbomber has sacrificed part of its missile load in favor of more counter missiles.

Room for 10 fighters and two spares, which come with the ship. You can fit a Yacht, or a Corvette, but it's going to eat up all of your normal Fighter bays and some of your cargo space. Anything bigger is a waste of time. You can try to shove a Frigate in a carrier, but that would use 100% of your space and then some, which would give you the worst of both worlds.

21 light years in the Eta band will take just under three o days to three and a half days, roughly. It depends on your engineers, whether or not you are paying maintenance on your ship, and local hyper conditions. If you are skipping on upkeep, you're going to wait the extra time so you don't accidentally crit fail and either turn crew into chunky paste or the ship into a radioactive glow cloud filled with tiny bits of debris. 

There is some variation because you might want a sidereal velocity higher than 8,288.64 kph which will be what happens when you go down that many bands if you are at maximum hyper velocity. If you drop into Alpha hyper, build back up to 0.6c, and then translate into sidereal, you'll have a velocity of 129,510,342 KPH. That's a very significant difference.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:44:58 pm by Ross Vernal »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

On a side note, might I ask what the point of the EW parts are?

They seem a bit underpowered to me, given that you need to stuff a significant part of your ship, and use a large part of your budget to even come remotely close to the natural bonusses that 2 races have.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

Thanks you. I was thinking captain's shuttle when I said yacht, and wasn't paying attention to the sizes.

so, Tyrol, we have 320 between us.
A Carrier costs 280 and comes with 20+2 fighters with 198. We could fit 11 bombers for 26.4 cost, for a total of 306.4, leaving us with 13.6 for logistics and so forth. Supplies for a year looks like it costs 5, so that's not an issue.

An Assault carrier. 208 cost, leaving us 112. Comes with 16+2 fighters and has 154 space, which could hold 8 bombers for 2.4x8 cost ... 19.2, leving us 92.8 for other things. Of course, we could change out some of the fighter compliment for bombers, with appropriate adjustments, and if we left ourselves some space we could add ecm or a repair shop.

Do carriers come with fighter repair shops already, or would we need one of the labs for that?
A repair lab plus a Molylab would take 40 space total and cost 100, so we would have to reduce our wing complement a little to include them, but I think it might be a decent trade off.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Anyway, I have a ship ideas here.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:56:37 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Numbers can be adjusted.

Rift goes 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3
Reds are 2,  2.5, 3. 3.5

In order to match the base EW of a Large Rift ship, it's 5 to 25 BC,depending on how much space you are going to eat. It's not horribly expensive. If there are 100 level 5 missiles targeted on you with a 60% would you rather spend a bit of money to drop it down to 50%? And then down to 45%? I'd rather try to stop 45 missiles with 20 shots than 60 with 20.

If you want to tinker with numbers, I'll add a D6 or D4 BC to your stock. In regards to the ship, the sidewall is
20 and countermissile is 28%.  35% tohit for missile, 70% energy tohit. Otherwise, neat!

Yes, carriers can restore ships up to half of carrier wing space per day, assuming that the ships are docked and not launched.

A repair lab is basically a machine shop. The moly lab is an electronics shop. It's called a molly lab because the electronics in question are very small. Slapping in some Small Labs will repair all of your fighters at 1 HP per day, plus distribution from carrier bays. Plus, you'll be able to fix up to 30% of the carrier HP. Yes, bigger labs mean better repairs and it scales. Parts and components for Small are going to only be able to repair up to 5% of a Huge ship.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

We need a mining/refinery ship.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Vipers' Nest (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cost and Space figures (click to show/hide)

if anyone has suggestions to emend this, i'm open to ideas.

We need a mining/refinery ship.
You mean for raw materials for repairs, or are you thinking commercial use? The second, I think, is outside the scope of a mercenary fleet at this time.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Both actually. Kai breed fast. If we salvage a few ships worth of debris+mine stuff each mission, we can build a larger fleet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37