Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help: good "Lovecraft-ian" games?  (Read 4182 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Help: good "Lovecraft-ian" games?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 03:03:04 pm »

Yeah, I actually think it is. There's an earlier boss named Chthon, although I don't remember if that was actually a Lovecraft thing or something added by later mythos writers.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 03:22:53 pm »

Yeah, I actually think it is. There's an earlier boss named Chthon, although I don't remember if that was actually a Lovecraft thing or something added by later mythos writers.

Well, Mythos is Mythos, even though it's Extended Mythos :D

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 03:43:52 pm »

Some games from Yahtzee could qualify as Lovecraft-ian:

* "Chzo Mythos" series (traditional adventure game; you'll have to play through earlier works to understand the last few games which is where the Lovecraft-like themes really start to show)
* "The Consuming Horror" (simple rogue-lite based on Lovecraft-like horror)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 04:07:19 pm »

Do you mean a Lovecraftian game or a Lovecraft themed game? Because there is scarce of the former and abundance of the latter.
Most games miss the point of the stories pretty hard, and Dark Corners of The Earth is one of those.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »

The upcoming That Which Sleeps also fits the bill. You play as an Old One who is slowly awakening and which sends his agents forth to do his bidding. Depending on the Old One it is either a Sauron simulator or a Cthulhu simulator (including slowly corrupting heroes through madness inducing dreams).

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 09:00:29 pm »

You also can grab the Arkham Horror modules for Tabletop SImulator, course you'll need people to play that with.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 09:53:37 pm »

I've been watching Vinesauce play through a game called "Eldritch". It's a simple looking, procedurally generated, first person dungeon explorer where you have to go through levels to find artefacts. The game has elements of conserving ammunition and health is scarce. The levels are also destructible so you can blow holes in walls and floors to access hidden areas and create new paths using dynamite.

The game seems interesting but I don't know how much more than what I saw there is to it. 4-5 different dungeons of about 4 floors each.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 12:21:27 am »

Darkest Dungeon?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 12:50:20 am »

Has this video not been posted yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyRxlvM9VM

They talk about common problems with Cthulhu games, and how they'd design one that really stays true to the mythos and brings it to life properly. The conclusion seems to be that no one has really managed this yet, but they mention some good horror games that accomplish something similar.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 01:26:40 am »

I've been watching Vinesauce play through a game called "Eldritch". It's a simple looking, procedurally generated, first person dungeon explorer where you have to go through levels to find artefacts. The game has elements of conserving ammunition and health is scarce. The levels are also destructible so you can blow holes in walls and floors to access hidden areas and create new paths using dynamite.

The game seems interesting but I don't know how much more than what I saw there is to it. 4-5 different dungeons of about 4 floors each.
You're late :P

Eldritch.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:25 am »

You're late :P

Eldritch.

Two recommendations it is then. The game certainly seems interesting but as before I'm not sure on the longer appeal. I would really like to see the game implementing some more bizarre elements like endless hallways, floors on ceilings, hallucinations and so on.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 04:22:05 am »

Do you mean a Lovecraftian game or a Lovecraft themed game? Because there is scarce of the former and abundance of the latter.
Most games miss the point of the stories pretty hard, and Dark Corners of The Earth is one of those.
Has this video not been posted yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyRxlvM9VM

They talk about common problems with Cthulhu games, and how they'd design one that really stays true to the mythos and brings it to life properly. The conclusion seems to be that no one has really managed this yet, but they mention some good horror games that accomplish something similar.

It doesn't really matter if the stories/creatures in the game are from an actual Lovecraft novel; the most important point is the atmosphere: the mystery, the horror, the horrible discoveries leading to insanity... I know it's not really possible to have all of this in a game, but that's the main point.
Well, anyway, thank you for all the suggestions; I have a lot of stuff to try now!
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 05:35:46 am »

There is the mystery running survival horror boardgame thingy Occult Chronicles that is quite fun, but very clunky and quite unforgiving. Other games I could think of have already been mentioned. (Did they say Sunless Sea?)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:35 am »

Bloodborne's atmosphere is lightly(?) Lovecraft-esque with werewolves and stuff.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 [2] 3