Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Help: good "Lovecraft-ian" games?  (Read 4183 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Help: good "Lovecraft-ian" games?
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:41:23 am »

I recently started reading Lovecraft's stories, and I like it so much I'm now looking for movies, shows, other authors, and generally anything dealing with that same atmosphere.

I had some problems with videogames, though: the only one I found (immediately) was "Dark corners of the Earth", which I'll play soon (as soon as I can find it...)

But, do you know any other games that could be interesting? I'm sure I'm missing out on a LOT of those.
(I don't really care about the genre, it could be an RPG, a strategy game, anything.)
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help: good "Lovecraft-ian" games?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 09:42:39 am »

If you have an old Wii or Gamecube you should play Eternal Darkness.

If not, you should get one, and then play Eternal Darkness.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:14:11 am »

Heh. I'm in a similar position myself.

Eldritch. It's a fun little voxelly indie adventure/shooter with some roguelike-ish elements (hard to classify, really) that has you trying to seal actual Lovecraftian gods that manages to combine a somewhat quirky art style (Deep Ones are charmingly derpy in both look and sounds) and sheer pant-shitting terror (HOLY FUCK A SHOGGOTH RUUUUUUN!).

Plus, being an indie game, you can get it for real cheap on a Steam sale and you can probably run it on a potato plugged into a monitor.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:23:11 am »

There's Infra Arcana, excellent lovecraftian roguelike

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:28:20 am »

you can probably run it on a potato plugged into a monitor.

Thanks; I forgot to mention, that is pretty much the setup I have right now... so, this is even better.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 10:41:33 am »

there is an old Infogrames adventure game called Shadow of the Comet that is awesome & definitely worth a spin, there's another one called Prisoner of Ice too but haven't played that one

the first-person adventure game Amnesia The Dark Descent has some of the elements - mystery, ancient horror, & of course insanity ;), there's the earlier Penumbra series from Frictional Games too but I haven't played them yet

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 12:21:08 pm »

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things about the Secret World, an occult-themed MMORPG.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 12:35:15 pm »

Secret World is corny pulp conspiracy nonsense.  It can be fun, but its nothing like Lovecraft's writing.

Alone in the Dark http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_in_the_Dark_(1992_video_game) is mandatory playing if you are into this sort of thing.  It is dated, and the controls are difficult, but it is atmospheric and wonderful.

Play in a dark room with headphones.

Ozy is right on the money, though:  Eternal Darkness is much more modern (haha) and is also AMAZING although it is a bit heavier on the combat.  Worth finding a game cube for, or at least an emulator. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 12:47:00 pm »

there is an old Infogrames adventure game called Shadow of the Comet that is awesome & definitely worth a spin, there's another one called Prisoner of Ice too but haven't played that one

the first-person adventure game Amnesia The Dark Descent has some of the elements - mystery, ancient horror, & of course insanity ;), there's the earlier Penumbra series from Frictional Games too but I haven't played them yet

Prisoner of Ice kind of stomps on the legacy Shadow of the Comet left... by all means shadow of the comet wasn't perfect but it had its charm...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 01:07:22 pm »

Quake's always a good Lovecraft-Lite game to blast through; classic FPS. You go from military installation into an elder world and face off against a few big and nasties. For the most fun, I recommend playing on Hard Mode. Nothing like being chased by a pair of shamblers down a hall, getting blasted by lightning in the process, and having a fiend you forgot about cornering you in the process, with a chance you also forgot about a bolt-firing trap getting you in the process as well (which can also be used against said pursuers).

However, in one of the expansion packs, having a pet shambler wreak havoc on an elder tower packed with monsters, I loved having that big fuzzy ugly bastard on my side for once, instead of gibbing it. He tore, and blasted, through the ranks like they were made of wet coffee filters.

EDIT:
Always fun to do. In any level where zombies and piranha inhabit the water, cheat yourself a lightning gun and invulnerability, and just fire the gun while you're in the water, and clear out the entire area in a single discharge. Hold tab to watch the kill numbers sky-rocket. Much more entertaining if done during a multiplayer match, and you survive. Even 1 cell of ammo is enough to pull it off, just to take a few down with you (mainly if there's a good number of players online, when it's done).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:22:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 01:09:33 pm »

Have anyone mention Fallen London yet?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 01:15:01 pm »

Have anyone mention Fallen London yet?

I dunno, you could check or use find... ctrl+F

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 01:31:13 pm »

I wouldn't call Fallen London Lovecraftian. They're both wordy, but, Fallen London's style is entirely different and probably only about stuff in the same veins as Lovecraft maybe 30% of the time. The rest is whimsy, humor, Victorian-era stories and perspectives, with the underworld twist to it all.

edit

Darkest Dungeon is an homage game to Lovecraft. Uses the same overwrought style of writing, if a lot less wordy. If you're wanting terror and madness and antediluvian, cyclopean evil, you can't go wrong there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:50:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 02:34:21 pm »

X-com: Terror From The Deep. It's aliens and not Elder Gods, but you're still fighting a nearly-impossible fight against terrifying aquatic monsters in dark, otherworldly environments.

Quake 1. It's not all that scary, but it's fun and does a great job at making creepy environments that would totally be at home in a Lovecraft story. If you acquire it digitally somehow (including Steam), make sure to mount a disc image (.iso) so that you get the awesome music.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 02:55:48 pm »

Quake 1. It's not all that scary, but it's fun and does a great job at making creepy environments that would totally be at home in a Lovecraft story. If you acquire it digitally somehow (including Steam), make sure to mount a disc image (.iso) so that you get the awesome music.

Isn't the end boss in fact Shub-Niggurath? Or at least named so?
Pages: [1] 2 3