Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: The Ebon Pact [Intro: Entrenched]  (Read 17971 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Ebon Pact [Creation, Battle, Management, and Politics]
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2015, 02:08:01 am »

D: at least I'm trying. :'(
I know, but it feels like you're trying from the wrong end.

An extensive rewrite of my character is probably merited but *shrugs*
Yeah, it's fine if you don't want to mess with it. I know how hard bringing yourself to do a rewrite is, too.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2015, 02:12:13 am »

Very nice sheet. Gives a very clear image of Sammacle's (rather poor) mental state and personality. Which is funny, because I'm still not sure what he does beyond management. Also clear, interesting connections to Jezel and to an extent Oggletop, which makes him an easy character to slot in.

I imagine him as kind of an accounts man, hanging out around Oggletop's offices and making sure there's no unpleasantness or misunderstanding between him and Jezel, and overseeing that the stipulations of the contract are fulfilled to both sides' maximum possible satisfaction. The contract, I imagine, is something highly nebulous and not readily explicable, as old and powerful things tend to be (Sammacle himself only having a superficial understanding of it), and both sides are very willing to try and screw the other one over on some of the less understandable parts. It's Sammacle's job to try and tip the scales in Jezel's favor, which is highly difficult with his understanding of the contract itself, while keeping Oggletop reasonably happy and unsuspecting, which he never is, being rightly paranoid about getting screwed over if he lets his guard down.

The contract itself, I further imagine, is one of those affairs where there's more fine print than plain stipulations, and the main error of Sammacle's progenitors was that they managed to tangle themselves up in all the fine print and give Oggletop a very unfortunate exploit of some kind.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2015, 02:34:01 am »

"Oggletop found you in a crate of imported bananas, and then off you scurried."
So I'm a spider? I admit this made me chuckle.

I was thinking Shaksal sees me as some sort pet that he nudges now and again, trying to get it to improve itself. The old and lazy family dog that you sometimes try to teach tricks as it were.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:45:58 am by Demonic Spoon »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2015, 09:17:26 am »

Well maybe instead of trying to write detials to his sheet I can write up part of his life? Let his actions and thoughts speak for him?

Or we can just go ahead and start and he can be AEWSOME in game.
 Whatever you wana do.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2015, 01:02:49 pm »

I just wanted to make this character, though I don't know if I'd have time to play it. If someone else wants to take it instead, I'd be fine with that.

One thing I'm not sure of is if I got the nature of sacrifice right. Also, I didn't fill in the minor contacts. I might do that later, or, if someone else is playing him, they could do that (I could still do that even if someone else is playing him, but I don't really have time for it right now).

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2015, 12:02:05 am »

You made a character for someone else to play?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2015, 01:12:13 am »

Well, I read people were having some trouble with character motivation and backstory, and I already had a character idea from when I saw this thread earlier but didn't submit because I wasn't sure I'd be able to keep up with the thread.

I will agree that it's a weird thing to do, but this thread inspired the idea, so it's not like I could take it elsewhere, and I so rarely have an opportunity to write a character that's so full-on evil.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2015, 09:26:00 am »

Prologue: Rise

Six Kings have arisen!
Sammacle, the Elder Princeling!
Mael, The Ninth Son That Crawls And Writhes Resplendent In Ultramarine Upon The Crypts of Child-Queens, the Skin-Weaver!
Tlanextli, the False-Thrown Sun!
Secrahz Markosl Dubarz, the Dreameater!
Phor Yevell, the Siege Architect!
Vas'nox, the Father of Ill Fates!

Even in Bloom, there must be a bit of ceremony.

The initial meeting spot wasn't hard to get to, nor was it especially important. Just an intersection of streets to gather in, so as to arrive at the real destination together and coherent looking. Everyone arrived at a leisurely pace and with time to spare, save poor Sammacle who arrived with all the grace of a panicked herd animal, needlessly concerned that some last-minute business might have made him late.

The trip to the actual destination was short and relatively to the point; other than looking somewhat regal and keeping your nerves down, there wasn't much to be done save walk. Or slither, in Markosl's case.

The issue of nerves was not one to be taken lightly, however. The site of your formal ascension was an amphitheater of sorts, riven with individual balconies, platforms, cages, even slits to watch from. From these myriad perches loomed some of the greatest entities in the city; most technically beneath you in raw power and status now, but often laughably more influential and wealthy than your current status. Some stared with amusement or disdain, merely here for the show. Most watched with the hungry, measuring eyes of apex predators, judging you for potential utility or danger.

Straight ahead, the amphitheater gave way to a wall of copper steps leading to an elaborate throne. Platforms descended to either side, holding the Lords of Bloom in no particular arrangement. Much harder to read than the looks of naked greed and paranoia adorning most common powers, most simply stared ahead impassively or admired the crowd.

The arrival of Asudarai Kei Talmalach was fairly rapid and without much fanfare, save the tingling sensation of dread and power on your skin. She simply flew in unceremoniously, daintily placed herself on the throne, and sat there a moment while most of the audience shrank a bit or made signs of respect or supplication.

A moment later, she raised her hand and the world became a tide of crimson power. As it faded, red runes flared to life on your skin and the ground beneath you. The former dulled down after a moment, while the latter continued to hum and build with power.

With that, your fate was sealed. Asudarai Kei Talmalach, Empress of Strength, simply floated into the air and flew off again, her task complete. The runes would slowly charge in power, and when ready, fire the lot of you to your new destination. The circle would even forcibly drag you back if it had to; not recommended for dignity's sake, but there was no missing this appointment anymore.

In the meantime... you have business to attend to. As you are now officially and irrevocably one of the Six Kings, you have much to offer and much you may need. The vultures perched around you might be open to negotiations, but beware- they are not your servants. If they make a deal with you, it will be because they feel they benefit adequately from it. Additionally, while the power of the ritual can take some possessions or creatures with you, it is generally considered poor form to make your first appearance desperately clutching luggage. Anything you barter for here will likely need to be summoned at some cost later; some arrangements can reduce the cost to you above by dealing with it below, but it's a cost nonetheless.

Finally, you have several more specific and proactive suitors, inaptly named Supplicants. Supplicants are those creatures that feel they have useful, immediate business with you specifically, but despite the name, merely getting this far implies a certain level of power and skill that is not to be taken likely. Additionally, like anything else you are likely to deal with down here in any way other than buying outright, Supplicants are also here for their own sakes, not yours. Most will want a steep fee at the least and a cut of your crown at worst.

You could also, of course, simply avoid dealing with this nest of vipers entirely and wait until the ritual activates, but you might be losing out on useful, if expensive, opportunities. A handful of creatures might even be open to smalltalk or friendly advice, especially those you have (amicable) history with. Whatever you decide to do, you'd best be quick about it; the runes won't take long to charge, and then you'll be stuck negotiating through rituals on the surface world.

Individual Turns
Spoiler: Sammacle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maelocht the Blue (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tlanextli (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Markosl (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phor Yevell (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vas'nox (click to show/hide)
((Turns spoilered for length, not secrecy. Feel free to snoop in each other's business.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ebon Pact [Prologue: Rise]
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2015, 10:33:35 am »

((Yay, got in! :)) ))

A inaudible growl of constant annoyance at the dull real all around us churns at the back of our throats. Faded colours, overwhelming boredom. Irritably we resist the siren call of sleep, successfully navigating this event was as vital to our future survival as any battle.

Tea's offer entered our minds directly, sparing us the bother of needing to listen to and interpret the fleshy noise of the physical. Its offer caused immediate turmoil, debate raging, heads weaving and waving around lazily, subconsciously falling into a mildly hypnotic rhythm.

A communal daydream, fragile and lacking as all such are when compared to true dreams, is quickly woven together, arguments raging as all the heads join in.

-He could reduce our workload
-The best advantage we could get from this position is better materials, Tea would endanger that!
-A supplicant of one of the others has the stench of a dreamwalker about him, we may very well need warriors in the dream.
-Wanna sleep
-We need him. You all know it.

Eventually a tenuous consensus is reached. We have been granted rule over a city above. This wouldn't happen unless the city in question was facing impending ruin, the most likely cause of which is an overwhelming force of invaders. If we wanted to be king for more than a few days, we needed warriors to secure our rule. Admittedly we didn't particularly want to be king, but being granted this "honour" and then losing our position would destroy our hard built reputation, years of work lost, with most of our influence and wealth along with it. We had a collective shudder at the possibility of such large amounts of effort being lost, wasted.

Also the fact that getting dethroned usually also resulted in getting executed.

With a eerie synchronicity all the heads snapped their gazes back to Tea, a simple mental message transmitted back to him.

"We accept"

When Tia gave her own offer, we quickly felt a set of mild headaches coming on from needing to keep up with her overenthusiastic chatter. Ugh, being awake truly is hell. We almost refused her outright when we realized the great amount of labour her proposal would place on our shoulders, but wiser heads prevailed.

-We were planning to cultivate dreams anyway
-Sleeeep
-Can't trust her, we may waste more time keeping a eye on her than we'd save from her doing some "heavy lifting" for us. Not worth it.
-Since we're taking Tea, accepting her as well becomes obligatory if we want acceptable dream quality levels, we will have to make a sacrifice here for the sake of our art.
-A permanent dreamscape offers intriguing possibilities to play around with beyond simply improving dreamer quality. She is a rare and valuable asset, the sort we might never get another chance of acquiring.
-I can already tell she's going to be an absolute pleasure to work with. At least she isn't totally inadequate visually speaking. The pulsing soothes my eyes.

Visibly reluctant, one of my heads finally hisses out a reply, "Accepted"

We turn around, intending to slither off to retrieve our secretary, only to find Ethekath already silently waiting behind us. Grunting slightly in acknowledgement, we turned our full focus onto staying awake until the ritual finally completed. We were drained by all this activity, and had neither the energy nor inclination to attempt negotiation with the rest of the circling vultures.

Yet the gazes of the Demon Lords of Bloom burn hot on our feathers, and we know that we can ill afford to display any weakness before such a... comprehensive congregation of the low and mighty of Bloom. Now was sadly not the time to sleep, abhorrent as that thought was. As the seconds ticked by we became more and more frustrated, maintaining both consciousness and sanity with flagging willpower, the sheer drabness of the real like an unbearable itch that we weren't allowed to scratch.

Look at them, happy with their petty baubles. How could any of it compare? Yes, indeed, how could it...

Hopefully the ritual will activate soon...

((Am assuming that I can bring my secretary along. What are nightmare cores?))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:17:45 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2015, 11:07:03 am »

They could have at least waited after he's there to start badgering him.

BUT NO. EVIDENTLY THEY COULD NOT.

Quote from: Introducing Schmuck Number One
"Greetings, Lord Sammacle. This one is Blackrack Otorome Melsis, Hand of the Quarter Moon. You will face much conflict in your new duties, and we would offer a solution. A squad of our finest Otome-touched suppressors could easily handle any threats you might face, and we could subsidize the cost of summoning as many common soldiers as you desired. In exchange, we ask only that the weak and foolish nobles of your new city be replaced by me and my kin."

"That's a... very kind offer," says Sammacle to the Grisell, breathing heavily from his incredible rush, making sure he's got a safe grip on his club. "I'll have to think on it - I'll... I'll invite you to the city after I've... sized up the nobles, so to speak, and then we might be able to work out a deal. We shall see. It will depend on how unwilling you are to drop all of your affairs down here, I will tell you that much."

Quote from: Introducing Schmuck Number Two
"Sammacle! Dear, dear friend. Won't you be lonely up there? Won't you be unhappy? The people will blame you for things, Sammacle. Blame you for all sorts of things. Never fear! I am Sacarsis, and I am here to help. Simply grant me noble title and rights to the city's justice, and I will ensure that everyone everywhere knows you are not to blame, SAMMACLE. Doesn't that all sound so much smoother than you had feared?"

Sammacle stares at Sacarsis for a short moment with the disapproving glare of a seasoned accounts man and then, in a single, fluid, powerful motion brings his club diagonally down on him, hopefully striking true. If he does, he would continue striking this repulsive individual, oblivious to the rest of the world, until he is reduced to a thin multicolored smear on the ground or Sammacle himself is teleported away. This would presumably send an appropriate message to the rest of the hustler's ilk about bothering people like that.

If the rat bastard bottom-feeder manages to dodge, though, Sammacle probably chases him off with the club until he is dragged back in by the portal, still trying to end him to the best of his ability.

Make my feelings known to Sacarsis in no uncertain terms. Also express that I will consider the Grisell's offer.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:35:07 am by Harry Baldman »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2015, 11:27:26 am »

Maelocht dragged a hand across his face at the sight of the Vile. Of all the inhabitants of Bloom to come see him... How had she survived again? A powerful patron or some infernal trickery he'd missed? If there came a third time, he would have to make sure. Cover all the possibilities. Find out all her secrets - before or after the deed.

The sight of Golgocht disgusted him, but it paled in comparison to the revolting crudeness and simplicity of her craft. That she and her abominations were allowed to walk these streets proved the lows Bloom had fallen to. Maelocht felt the hatred bubbling up and embraced it, drawing from the Word of Venom within his tongue to add to his words.

'And why would I,' he said, hissing, 'Maelocht the Blue, want anything to do with an incompetent and butcher of good flesh such as yourself, Golgocht of the Pits? You think I would stain my future city with your malignant spawn? The wretched abominations that we are all shamed to witness in our city? The greatest miracle of all is that you have not been driven into the grey wastes long ago; I suspect it is only the pity of our ever-gracious and merciful masters that allows you to stay. Begone, empty hand! Bother me no longer! Dead crow, maggot-mind, rotten beast, peddler of sickly skin! I reject you and your offer, you mother of worms!'

Letting his breath out in a long hiss, Maelocht leaned back, satisfied. There was no harm in being unpleasant. Some of his watchers would only look upon it with favor. The wretched creature should have stayed far away from him, in any case. He wondered if he could have it killed after the ritual.

The other Supplicant was more interesting, though a pitiful creature. His offer was a worthwhile one - he would need many mortals to practice his craft.

'Very well, Master of Comforts! I accept your offer for now. Provide me with mortals, and you will be rewarded accordingly.'

He would not speak with Miku or his patrons in such a public arena, but Maelocht turned towards them and gave a short bow. Soon, he hoped, he would be beyond them, but for now it paid to be courteous.

Accept Peach's offer.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2015, 11:37:31 am »

((Epic smackdown there Digital Hellhound. For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice, her offer didn't seem worth the cost.))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2015, 11:41:05 am »

((Getting to do long, flowery insults is like, 50% of the reason I RP in general.))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2015, 11:54:14 am »

((Sweet, I'm in))

Vas'nox, the Father of Ill Fates, ponders for a moment trying to consider, which of the two supplicants he desires to deal services with. Having both is not an option for Vas'nox as they would be overlapping in multiple fields of potential uses. He is a bit wary of Megara as there are quite a few unknowns in the bending of mortal's will but has the possibility of having the largest benefits in the long term. Pinnacle's offer has the least amount of draw backs, the bit about information is what draws him in and it could be quite valuable to have a means of steady information (well as a cost).

"Very well, Pinnacle your offer intrigues me. I shall permit you sanction in the world above, I will be making use of your services."  replies in his ever cold voice.

"Megara of the Writhing Sands, I do not have need of your services at the present time. Nor shall I ever have need for them, there are too many complications when dealing with fanatic followers, and I do not wish to have to deal with such problems, now leave me be I have  other matters to ponder." he replies in an equally cold voice.

Vas'nox remains dead silent after speaking with the two supplicants, his robe crimson still dripping a blood Red substance that dissipates as it hits the floor.

((Can we approach others in the crowd or are the two supplicants all we interact with?))

Discontinued Game
Los Diablos

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2015, 11:55:56 am »

((Pretty sure you can approach others, but you have a time limit, so try to be brief.))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13