Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The Ebon Pact [Intro: Entrenched]  (Read 17980 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: The Ebon Pact [Creation, Battle, Management, and Politics]
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 11:02:42 am »

Literally why I don't make these.
What exactly is literally why you don't make these? I was expressing... confusion about certain parts of your character sheet.

Physical Description: A combination of an Orc-Humanoid body with Elf looking ears. His face is notoriously scarred from self-flagellation and his eyes of dark purple can luminate a particularly dark time.
What does a combination of orc and humanoid look like? Especially considering a orc is a humanoid. An orc is basically a human with some extras tacked. What do you mean when you say "notoriously" scarred? Is his self-flagellation particularly well-known and infamous? If so, why?

When someone talks about a "dark time" he usually means it in a metaphorical sense, but you seem to be talking about night time or something similar, which is a odd turn of phrase that puzzled me for a bit.

His goal of "Justice at any costs" brought him many enemeis but none dared to challenge him and even the executed knew that he always had a point.
Your depiction of the executed always knowing he had a point and no one daring to challenge him are very unbelievable to me.

[Shaksal] is of..dubious interests. Should [Shaksal] ever step to far out of line though, then they may call me God-King Slayer. I pray to [Shaksal] daily and I know he hears me although sometimes I feel he does not.
Is your character schizophrenic? He prays to Shaksal yet finds Shaksal to be dubious when viewed through his personal lens of reality, and is ready to attempt to kill Shaksal if he steps too far out of line.

Fuck it just pick someone else because in the end these games end before they even start.
This is a pretty poor reaction to what I think was some relatively mild criticism.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:20:50 am by Demonic Spoon »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2015, 03:16:07 pm »

What are some cool projects you might do?

Let's seee.....

as per usual for games I join I will be pulling dark is not evil, and light is not good very frequently. It's something I like to do.

But first things first, the people need protection. I'm thinking soul swords, constructs to guard the town, archers with soul stealing bows.

Longer term, I'm thinking a dark tower. A massive courtyard, and frequent festivals.

I don't have any plans to conquer the world (but that might change) becasue it tends to fail, but epanding a bit sounds nice.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2015, 08:32:55 pm »

Doublepost; ah well.

So anything wrong with my sheet? Also, do players start off with any Virtues?
Your sheet is quite nice.

Players will start off with Virtues, but I wonder how they'll be selected~

Literally why I don't make these. Fuck it just pick someone else because in the end these games end before they even start.
If you'd rather avoid criticism you could just request that nobody do so. In my experience most people prefer feedback.

Also ಠ_ಠ

This is a pretty poor reaction to what I think was some relatively mild criticism.
I think it did come off as kind of abrasive and nonspecific.

Trying to think of ways to improve my character sheet....

I guess at the end of the school year it's hard to come up with a character. All my, creativity is centered around projects for when the game starts....
Let's seee.....

as per usual for games I join I will be pulling dark is not evil, and light is not good very frequently. It's something I like to do.

But first things first, the people need protection. I'm thinking soul swords, constructs to guard the town, archers with soul stealing bows.

Longer term, I'm thinking a dark tower. A massive courtyard, and frequent festivals.

I don't have any plans to conquer the world (but that might change) becasue it tends to fail, but epanding a bit sounds nice.
This is a good start. You might try looking for common, interesting themes in the things you'd like to do, and then ask yourself what kind of character would fit that. You want something you're going to want to and be able to play coherently, but you don't want to wuss out and avoid having any kind of consistent theme.

For instance, you've got Dark=/=Evil, Light=/=Good, protection/war, dark tower, and festivals. There's a ton of ways to shape those specific goals into a more general personality and vibe. You could analyze any one in detail and ask yourself what the connotations of that are; you could pick any two and combine them to see what you get; you could even throw in counterweights to your own goals to see where that leaves you.

For instance, we've got Dark=/=Evil, Light=/=Good. What are the deeper connotations of that being a central feature to your character? Is he misunderstood constantly? Does he have to do things he might not prefer to because of circumstance? Are there cultural differences afoot? And then those questions spawn a whole load of other questions: How does he feel about that? Why can't he improve that situation? Where'd something like that come from in the first place?

Then we've got protection/war and a dark tower. What happens when you combine those? Possibly a bit of a military autocracy vibe, wherein only a strong, ruthless leader can keep everyone safe? Or maybe more of an ownership or meritocracy thing, where whoever protects a thing owns it in its entirety, or only those with the will to ascend to the top are qualified to sit there. Or maybe something even stranger, like crippling fear or an obsession with keeping the people too busy to revolt. And as always, those questions give us more questions. Where'd he come from? Why does he do that? Where are the limits to his philosophy?

Finally, we've got festivals. What are some good complications or counterpoints to his love of festivals? Does he only like certain kinds of festivals? Religious, cultural, extolling some other virtue mentioned elsewhere, perhaps? Are his festivals all in his honor, or the honor of his god, or to the city, or anything so long as there's no dancing? Do they serve a purpose? Are his festivals intentionally bawdy to encourage breeding? Are they absolutely 100% mandatory to encourage factional pride? Are there drawbacks or sharp limits to his love of them? Does he despise idleness and leisure in every other setting? Is he convinced that, while still beneficial overall, they're a magnificent environment for traitors and spies? And then those questions give more questions: Why? How does he feel about the people partaking in them? How does he feel about the people NOT partaking in them? Do these philosophies and likes and concerns extend to other areas of his beliefs and reign?

And as a final point to that, if all else fails just go consume media. Watch/read/play things, and you're bound to find something you like and can use somewhere.

Speaking of which, it's been 72 hours, but endless may want more time and Pencil_Art still has a name and physical description and that's it; I'll have to PM him to ask if he wants to continue.

Does anyone else need time or want feedback on their sheet?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2015, 08:51:17 pm »

Trying to think of ways to improve my character sheet....

I guess at the end of the school year it's hard to come up with a character. All my, creativity is centered around projects for when the game starts....
Let's seee.....

This is a good start. You might try looking for common, interesting themes in the things you'd like to do, and then ask yourself what kind of character would fit that. You want something you're going to want to and be able to play coherently, but you don't want to wuss out and avoid having any kind of consistent theme.

For instance, you've got Dark=/=Evil, Light=/=Good, protection/war, dark tower, and festivals. There's a ton of ways to shape those specific goals into a more general personality and vibe. You could analyze any one in detail and ask yourself what the connotations of that are; you could pick any two and combine them to see what you get; you could even throw in counterweights to your own goals to see where that leaves you.

For instance, we've got Dark=/=Evil, Light=/=Good. What are the deeper connotations of that being a central feature to your character? Is he misunderstood constantly? Does he have to do things he might not prefer to because of circumstance? Are there cultural differences afoot? And then those questions spawn a whole load of other questions: How does he feel about that? Why can't he improve that situation? Where'd something like that come from in the first place?

Then we've got protection/war and a dark tower. What happens when you combine those? Possibly a bit of a military autocracy vibe, wherein only a strong, ruthless leader can keep everyone safe? Or maybe more of an ownership or meritocracy thing, where whoever protects a thing owns it in its entirety, or only those with the will to ascend to the top are qualified to sit there. Or maybe something even stranger, like crippling fear or an obsession with keeping the people too busy to revolt. And as always, those questions give us more questions. Where'd he come from? Why does he do that? Where are the limits to his philosophy?

Finally, we've got festivals. What are some good complications or counterpoints to his love of festivals? Does he only like certain kinds of festivals? Religious, cultural, extolling some other virtue mentioned elsewhere, perhaps? Are his festivals all in his honor, or the honor of his god, or to the city, or anything so long as there's no dancing? Do they serve a purpose? Are his festivals intentionally bawdy to encourage breeding? Are they absolutely 100% mandatory to encourage factional pride? Are there drawbacks or sharp limits to his love of them? Does he despise idleness and leisure in every other setting? Is he convinced that, while still beneficial overall, they're a magnificent environment for traitors and spies? And then those questions give more questions: Why? How does he feel about the people partaking in them? How does he feel about the people NOT partaking in them? Do these philosophies and likes and concerns extend to other areas of his beliefs and reign?

And as a final point to that, if all else fails just go consume media. Watch/read/play things, and you're bound to find something you like and can use somewhere.

Speaking of which, it's been 72 hours, but endless may want more time and Pencil_Art still has a name and physical description and that's it; I'll have to PM him to ask if he wants to continue.

Does anyone else need time or want feedback on their sheet?

-thought full-
well....festivals are good for keeping everyone happy, and happy subjects are loyal subjects....
mmm... dark is not evil and light is not good.... that could be......
...............brain starting to turn...just a little.....come-on...think....

........................................................we could start now, or I could spend time adding more detail to my sheet. whatever you want to do.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:57:58 pm by endlessblaze »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:32 pm »

-thought full-
well....festivals are good for keeping everyone happy, and happy subjects are loyal subjects....
mmm... dark is not evil and light is not good.... that could be......
...............brain starting to turn...just a little.....come-on...think....

........................................................we could start now, or I could spend time adding more detail to my sheet. whatever you want to do.
I think the question at this point is "How much time and effort are you willing to put into coming up with a coherent, enjoyable character concept in the hopes that it'll get selected?" I'm fine with waiting if you need a bit more time, but I'd hate to run you around in circles and then end up not picking you anyway.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2015, 09:28:26 pm »

well regardless, i will have to finish it tomorrow because urg. im being pestered by all this activity irl. and everyone wants me to go to bed and its hard to think when im being interrupted constantly with, "are you almost ready? are you done yet? so good night. you can start if you want but i am making some progress on improvements.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2015, 01:52:32 am »

I think it did come off as kind of abrasive and nonspecific.
I suppose it did. At the time I was too tired/lazy to write up something more articulate.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:05:37 am by Demonic Spoon »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2015, 02:21:43 pm »

Literally why I don't make these. Fuck it just pick someone else because in the end these games end before they even start.
If you'd rather avoid criticism you could just request that nobody do so. In my experience most people prefer feedback.

Also ಠ_ಠ

Very big difference between constructive criticism (Which i'm sure your reffering to) and Spoons "your character makes no sens" comments. Yes, the character was paranoid/schitzo/bat shit insane with justice archtype. Yes, his bio was third person which is abnormal as should he be.

Also, use words you uncultured swine.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2015, 04:39:35 pm »

well.....I gave my character a bit more detail....

Name: embran darkwisp the brightest flame of night

Epithet: the night that shines like the sun .
Physical Description: though he posses the ability to shapeshift , he tends to remain in a human like form, but with red eyes that pierce the darkness, and hair so dark its like staring into a void.  other forms include a black dragon with golden eyes and wings of flame, and a cloud of ash mixed with motes of light.

Mental Description: this demon is actually rather benevolent. treating those that serve him quite kindly, this is not to say he does not enjoy a bit of bloodshed from time to time, he keeps an arena for those who desire combat,(or for the most despised of criminals) so that he may observe, and on very rare occasions, participate himself. he wants to shape a society that pleases him. though something are planed ahead of time, much of his work is just him making stuff up as he goes along.

though some mortals might be frightened of his dark power, this is often born from misconceptions of what dark magic and power is. similarly, some of the demons in less civilized, or far out realms fear his light energy. but embran knows that no power is good or evil. dark or light, divine or demonic. energy is above such things, and when one of these pairs is combined the power is immense.

Bio: born from nothing he gained life, and when the people cried out for a king he answered. he wants to create, to shape, and to live. though kind, woe to he who arouses his wrath, and pray thee that his whims are merciful. thankfully. angering him to the point at witch he will take severe action is difficult, he is however protective of his possessions. the more time and effort, the more "heart" he has put into something the more likely he will become angry if you mess with it, without asking first. 

he Is good at altering, shaping, and creating things, and also manipulating energy.

Affiliations
-Telu and Mar, Master of Souls (they enjoy each others company, and like to share tips on manipulating souls, embran also finds them cute.)
-Soulrot, Master of Servants (embran respects soulrot and his abilty to get mortals to enjoy there work.)
-Wrack, Master of Implements(embran likes his creations, and his little insane ramblings. Wrack, likes having someone listien to him, and even carry on conversations with)
-Miku, Master of Flesh(though born with some knowledge of shaping flesh, embran's works were rough. miku gave him some pointers)

Contacts
-karan- embrans loyal servant this red skinned girl wll do anything he ask, her loyalty is born from embran rescuing her from a group of ruffians. she has a single simple tail, and blond hair.
-nan- an elemental being, that keeps in touch with embran.
-sha- this guy is a bit unnerving to some, but he is actually quite harmless.....unless you threaten him..... he can blend in with the shadows and tends to provide embran with any info he has learned.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2015, 05:12:28 pm »

Want a cookie?

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2015, 05:22:52 pm »

Want a cookie?
If he doesn't want it, I'll eat it.
Discontinued Game
Los Diablos

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2015, 06:44:15 pm »

sugar cookie?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2015, 11:07:16 pm »

Very big difference between constructive criticism (Which i'm sure your reffering to) and Spoons "your character makes no sens" comments. Yes, the character was paranoid/schitzo/bat shit insane with justice archtype. Yes, his bio was third person which is abnormal as should he be.

Also, use words you uncultured swine.
You should still try to handle irritation with a bit more grace. Doubters will also continue to receive the Stare of Disapproval.

Speaking of which, we seem nearly ready to start, but several people haven't received direct comments from me yet, so I might as well do a full pass.

Spoiler: Behold Sammacle! (click to show/hide)
Very nice sheet. Gives a very clear image of Sammacle's (rather poor) mental state and personality. Which is funny, because I'm still not sure what he does beyond management. Also clear, interesting connections to Jezel and to an extent Oggletop, which makes him an easy character to slot in.

Spoiler: Maelocht the Blue (click to show/hide)
Very nice sheet. Very clear, interesting motivation and specialty, and clear connections to Kaikari, Miku, and, in particularly creative fashion, Echtholomon. Easy to slot in.

Very nice sheet. Evocative backstory that depicts a clear, if ambitious, motivation for both mundane things ("gain power") and more specific obsessions ("LOYALTY!"). Fascinating connection with Rotsoul and amusing connections with Telu and Mar.

I don't think I can compete with that. With some luck, maybe I don't have to though. :P

A little on the bland side. We have a clear but kind of boring connection to Ocaris and Wrack, but fairly little personality. A coherent specialty, at least.

I accidentally a novella. :-[ Highlights include a species of hydras so poorly suited for survival they're just about extinct.
A little on the bland side. A reasonably clear personality, but the goal and specialty are still a little fuzzy; what exactly does he craft and why? Relatively weak, one-way connection to Shakshal, believable but rather shallow connection to Oggletop, and tangential connection to Titikrik. That makes you harder to slot in, but that's a minor point; I can get creative if necessary. More importantly, however, it makes your character feel a little disconnected even from his own past. Shakshal raised you because you grow, Titikrik fruitlessly tried to teach you because he was told to, and Oggletop sells you things because you buy them. You don't need a strong connection to anything in particular in Bloom, but this feels like one step up from "Oggletop found you in a crate of imported bananas, and then off you scurried."

Spoiler: Vas'nox (click to show/hide)
I will be adding/chan more just got tired and thought I'd post what I had.
Somewhat problematic sheet. I have a bunch of nitpicky details about your origin and ascension, but I'll try to stick to the important stuff save as the minor faff is applicable to the real issues.

Notably, your origin doesn't explain anything about you. You're a wraith that arose to avenge the brutal massacre of helpless people, but that doesn't actually tell us anything about you currently. The one place it becomes relevant seems kind of awkward as well; you say you felt the same sense of powerlessness as your original soulset upon entering Bloom, but comparing "being tortured to death in a jail cell" with "there's a lot of entities stronger than I am here" seems weird and strained.

This issue also kind of shows through in that your motives are unclear. We have your methods down- patient and schemey- but not what you want or why, other than "power." Which is, awkward origin motivation aside, a really vague and universal goal, especially amongst demon lords. Finally, your only connection to Asudarai Kei Talmalach feels one-sided and strange, in a similar vein.

Basically, you don't seem to have a coherent theme. You want power, but not in any interesting way or for any interesting reasons, and other than being schemey about it you don't have much in the way of (interesting, not-universal) personality either.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So is only one application going to be accepted or are multiple players playing?
Somewhat problematic sheet. A fanatically justice-obsessed zealot can be interesting to a point, but your character seems awfully one-dimensional for the lord of an entire city. It also seems like he might be over the top enough to be more of a hindrance than an asset, which raises some other questions. Your connections to Asudarai Kei Talmalach and Shakshal also seem one-directional (they give you stuff) and flat (we're not sure why). I feel like you have a coherent concept, but that you never developed it beyond pushing the lever all the way forward.

Flipping the table at Demonic makes me concerned as well.

I don't believe you, because I don't think you have a character. I still think you're trying to play without actually coming up with a character, and so trying to think of and add vague things you might like or do as ways to enhance your character. But that's not going to work if no character exists.

the more time and effort, the more "heart" he has put into something the more likely he will become angry if you mess with it, without asking first.
This would be Exhibit A for this notion. This is true of literally everyone. If this wasn't true it'd be an interesting, noteworthy character point. There is no reason to include this in your character sheet unless you were pretty much sitting there, scratching your head, thinking "what else am I liable to do this game...?" and realizing that you aren't going to want other demon lords messing with your stuff. That's not coming up with a character and it's not developing a character, because there's nothing there to develop. You can't assemble a sweet car by tossing fine rims onto the headlights you've got there. You need a chassis first.

If you want to get in, you need to come up with a concept first. "Forsaken loyalty-obsessed god" is a concept. "Ambitious fleshwarper" is a concept. "Fanatical justicar" is a concept. "I'm probably gonna make swords at some point and be, like, dark but not evil" is not a concept. Plans and tendencies can certainly inspire a concept, but you need to actually condense it into a theme to be useful.

Otherwise you're just going to be stuck sitting there, pointing out that "I, uh... don't like being punched... in the dick?" and pretending that tells us something about who or what you are.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2015, 12:37:45 am »

D: at least I'm trying. :'(

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2015, 12:41:55 am »

An extensive rewrite of my character is probably merited but *shrugs*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13