Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: End goals... you actually complete!  (Read 2921 times)

LegCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
End goals... you actually complete!
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:49:20 am »

I find to rather important to set goals, otherwise I get bored as soon as my fort becomes sustainable. However, after many fortresses, I've noticed that only a fraction of them have actually been retired/abandoned due to the completion of a goal (i.e. get king/queen, mini-megaproject, speedrun embarks, etc...). I'm starting to think that the goals I set are too ambitious or too long term. Currently, I want to "revive" a dying civ but quickly get overwhelmed. Or settle a fort in every biome. Or combine both ideas! But with only a vague goal and no intermediate goals, I end up abandoning the whole plan, rather frustrated.  :-\

So, what kinda goal(s) do you set for yourself and what's your strategy to complete them? Or, what have been your most ambitious goals that you've completed?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:54:04 am by LegCheeseMaker »
Every great fortress needs a Legendary Cheesemaker!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: End goals... you actually complete!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:44:01 am »

Generally, I have the reverse problem.

My latest fort had the goal of "mess around with the new garden vegetables". 

I'm currently trying to set up a new set of minecart logic tracks to help regulate the traffic of my other minecart tracks while rigging an aquifer-draining water reservoir, while also excavating an impulse elevator for my magma forge reservoir, and I'm stockpiling stone blocks for building a castle and elevated highway on the surface.

Plus I'm eventually going to test some more of those vegetables in between all that. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 05:35:19 am »

Aim high, dig deep, what is there to worry about? Great ambition that falls short still yields good results!

As for my goals, they tend to be general strategy goals with no limits. So, my general goal is I don't know, build a mountain, harvest lots of gems or create a grand army. They can be changed, declared finished or abandoned at will, to pursue other goals as the needs arise.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 03:05:17 pm »

Well, I suppose as of now, my goals that I've completed are kinda small, but I'll spoiler it, due to one of the things not being so small.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:55:05 am »

Completed goals:
  • Build entire fort at magma sea level
  • Equip military in full masterwork steel
  • Equip civilians in decent armour with weapons
  • Capture a GCS
  • Tame the caverns (1/3 completed)
  • Make an obsidian caster
  • Harvest and use candy

This fort is meant to be the one where all the shit gets DONE. My next project is to replace all the hauler- and labourer- class citizens' crossbows with melee weapons and get all the civilians on a regular training schedule, to prepare for an honourable showdown with the clown car.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 05:06:50 pm »

Clown car objectives are always Fun, since you either complete your goal or definitively have to abandon.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:25:31 am »

Clown car objectives are always Fun, since you either complete your goal or definitively have to abandon.

Any advice?
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:30:12 am »

Any advice?

Spoiler: response (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »

i just try to make as cool looking fort as possible..

im thinking next fort ill try make it into a mountain and have some sort of outward fortifications on it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 05:52:23 pm »

im thinking next fort ill try make it into a mountain and have some sort of outward fortifications on it.

Try making it an actual mountain.  I once embarked on a very steep cliff face, with a giant "stalagmite" on the surface in 40d, and carved my housing along the randomized edges of said stalagmite, with the mayor overlooking the peak.  (Royal suite was in the main cliff overlooking the legendary dining hall.)

Having to adapt to the natural topography rather than just making symmetric whatevers was an interesting challenge.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:54:46 pm »

Try making it an actual mountain.  I once embarked on a very steep cliff face, with a giant "stalagmite" on the surface in 40d, and carved my housing along the randomized edges of said stalagmite, with the mayor overlooking the peak.  (Royal suite was in the main cliff overlooking the legendary dining hall.)

Having to adapt to the natural topography rather than just making symmetric whatevers was an interesting challenge.

twas thinking something like this: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/the-highland-dwarf-fortress/

sorry for minecraft scan...was just the closest thing to the one im thinking of making that i could find...but anyway:i intend to make it like that. except make it so that it morphs into the mountain a tad better

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 08:00:47 pm »

I finished my latest goal!

In my most recent fort, I created a working pipe (tunnel) based water supply that used an aquifer and water pressure to pump water to any point in the fort nigh-instantaneously. Each section of pipe could be isolated and drained into the caverns. Also in place were drains in the halls in case of oversight-related flooding.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 11:12:01 am »

I was going to make a cavern inhabitation fort with each layer defended as I would do so aboveground, but I got a magma pipe in 1st cavern and am working on an obsidian cast fortress in the pipe. Someday I'd also like to do a hunting/beekeeping for food only fort.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 11:36:16 am »

My current goal is dodge-me-trap into lava fort defense (or similar mechanical/automated fort defense), but alas, bug 4552 prevents this and  many other goals, and has been in place for 4 years now. :(

Fixes Before Features - learn it, love it, live it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »

My current goal is dodge-me-trap into lava fort defense (or similar mechanical/automated fort defense), but alas, bug 4552 prevents this and  many other goals, and has been in place for 4 years now. :(

Fixes Before Features - learn it, love it, live it.

You could try building your defenses around this behavior.  That is, setting up a killzone that will not activate until a lever is pulled, and then another trap zone that will trigger the observed behavior. 

For example, if you have a weapon trap that dodges goblins into magma, you can fill the narrow path (also over magma) leading up to that point with menacing spikes, and only start pulling the lever to "clear off the riff-raff" once the goblins are stuck on the platform.  Set up some marksdwarf bunkers nearby or maybe open a drawbridge with trained war alligators behind it or something to finish off the leftovers that happen to get stuck on a jammed trap.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2