Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New cause of death?  (Read 5316 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
New cause of death?
« on: May 30, 2015, 09:35:10 pm »

I reclaimed a fortress which was defeated by a necromancer siege. Then I used dfhack to gather all junks and corpses in several piles.
Everything went smoothly until I saw a message about a planter died...

OH NO!!!!!!!!! I DONT WANNA BE A PLANTER!!!!!!!!!

Kidding.
I think he saw too many dwarf corpses (50+) at one time and his heart just exploded?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: New cause of death?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:41:48 pm »

Interesting.  Can you show the location of his death?  Maybe look for his personality traits in a save from earlier in the game...

It may be that there's some sort of insanity that is caused by high stress vulnerability causing catatonia in a severe enough form that it results in death.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:26 pm »

Interesting.  Can you show the location of his death?  Maybe look for his personality traits in a save from earlier in the game...

It may be that there's some sort of insanity that is caused by high stress vulnerability causing catatonia in a severe enough form that it results in death.

He died while planting hemp.

I dumped his last thoughts using forum-dwarves:

Vutok Ilthob, "Vutok Wordsgirder", Planter   
"I've been rained on.  That's annoying."
He is annoyed when caught in the rain.  Within the last season, he felt satisfied at work.  He was interested near a completely sublime Trap.  He was interested near a fine Door.  He was horrified after seeing Shorast Twinkletongs die.  He was horrified after seeing Geshud Lovedpaint die.  He was horrified after seeing Solon Shotlaw die.  He was horrified after seeing Bembul Rocksstreams die.  He was horrified after seeing Melbil Pinktowns die.  He was horrified after seeing Rigoth Mirroredmortal die.  He was horrified after seeing Erib Phrasewheeled die.  He was horrified after seeing Aban Raspedtomes die.  He was horrified after seeing Id Wallgullies die.  He was horrified after seeing Urdim Cobaltcradle die.  He was horrified after seeing Likot Blowgirder die.  He was horrified after seeing Rovod Girderblade die.  He was horrified after seeing Adil Treatybridge die.  He was horrified after seeing Besmar Axenotched die.  He was horrified after seeing Sarvesh Tongsroots die.  He was horrified after seeing Fikod Cobalthelp die.  He was horrified after seeing Catten Paddleoiled die.  He was horrified after seeing Vucar Shippassed die.  He was horrified after seeing Kivish Cryrampart die.  He was horrified after seeing Kib Knightwind die.  He was horrified after seeing Iton Earthenkingdoms die.  He was horrified after seeing Logem Ropelast die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing the elf Burneater die.  He was horrified after seeing Ast Picktempt die.  He was horrified after seeing Lor Swordtorch die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing the elf Trammeledled die.  He was horrified after seeing Likot Metdyes die.  He was horrified after seeing Ber Nationstaff die.  He was horrified after seeing Urvad Slingsystem die.  He was horrified after seeing Melbil Lashechoed die.  He was horrified after seeing Geshud Handledaubs die.  He was horrified after seeing Kol Frenzyanvils die.  He was horrified after seeing Sibrek Cloisterwhiskers die.  He was horrified after seeing Sodel Charcoalchannels die.  He was horrified after seeing Etur Walledanvil die.  He was horrified after seeing Dastot Colorchanneled die.  He was horrified after seeing Logem Oardepth die.  He was horrified after seeing Melbil Apexmetal die.  He was horrified after seeing Tobul Toneglazes die.  He was horrified after seeing Fikod Feedlancer die.  He was horrified after seeing Avuz Bellswalks die.  He was horrified after seeing Kumil Tindimpled die.  He was horrified after seeing Zan Growlchanneled die.  He was horrified after seeing Dodok Rocksfoot die.  He was horrified after seeing Astesh Flagfates die.  He was horrified after seeing Ducim Conflictabbey die.  He was horrified after seeing Amost Bridgeshades die.  He was horrified after seeing As Tunneledclasped die.  He was horrified after seeing Asob Socketboulder die.  He was horrified after seeing Kosoth Bridgechannel die.  He was horrified after seeing Meng Inkypraise die.  He was horrified after seeing Edzul Trademachine die.  He was horrified after seeing Rakust Laborstands die.  He was horrified after seeing Monom Curleddiamonds die.  He was horrified after seeing Urist Rocksclutch die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing the elf Wondrousscarlet die. 
He is a worshipper of Domas Bridgesilver and a worshipper of Ushrir. 
He is a citizen of The Dangerous Urn.  He is a member of The Fortification of Morning.  He arrived at Zontosid on the 18th of Moonstone in the year 501. 
He is eighty years old, born on the 10th of Opal in the year 421. 
He is average in size.  His upper body is gone. 
He is indefatigable, but he is very flimsy. 
Vutok Ilthob likes limonite, tin, purple spinel, water buffalo horn, capuchin tooth, sheep wool, gloves and cavies for their three toes.  When possible, he prefers to consume giant snapping turtle, tapir cheese and carambola wine.  He absolutely detests lizards. 
He has an amazing spatial sense, a lot of willpower, a very good sense of empathy, good creativity, a good feel for social relationships, a way with words and a sum of patience, but he has an iffy memory and very bad intuition. 
Like others in his culture, he holds craftsdwarfship to be of the highest ideals and celebrates talented artisans and their masterworks, has a great deal of respect for the law, greatly prizes loyalty, values family greatly, sees friendship as one of the finer things in life, believes that honesty is a high ideal, greatly respects artists and their works, really respects those that take the time to master a skill, respects fair-dealing and fair-play, values cooperation, finds merrymaking and partying worthwhile activities, values martial prowess, values leisure time, respects commerce and finds nature somewhat disturbing.  He personally doesn't really see the point of working hard.  He dreams of raising a family. 
He is buffeted by others' emotions and can't help but to respond to them.  He is completely careless with resources when completing projects and invariable wastes a lot of time and effort.  He has an overbearing personality.  He is always tense and jittery.  He is somewhat scatterbrained.  He rarely feels discouraged.  He occasionally overindulges.  He has a tendency toward forming deep emotional bonds with others.  He tends to ask others for help with difficult decisions.  He doesn't focus on material goods.  He does not easily hate or develop negative feelings.  He is generally quite confident of his abilities when undertaking specific ventures.  He does not have a great aesthetic sensitivity, and he is conflicted by this as he values artwork and its creation.  He scratches his head when he's nervous.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day.  He likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather. 

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:50:32 pm »

A ghost scared him to death.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:53:23 pm »

Yeah, I checked his death cause using dfhack:

The dwarf vutok ilthob died in year 501 (cause: scare), killed by the dwarf avuz rithberdan.

But the only ghost I saw was a kivish. I'd better engrave some slab for that avuz now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 12:08:01 am »

Yeah, that's been around since ghosts were introduced in... 0.31.19 or so, IIRC.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 05:38:26 am »

It is horrifying.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 07:56:06 am »

Well I'll be damned- never new ghosts could scare dorfs to death.  Never actually seen a ghost spawn tbh, was always scared of them wrecking my fort so made sure to carve slabs and build tombs asap. 

My first thought was actually the new stress system.  Over-stressed dorfs have a couple new forms of irrevocable insanity that always lead to death.  In each case the dorf stops eating/drinking, but their death messages would probably just reflect that (unless a beserk drof is struck down by another, ofc).  One of them involves a catatonic state, in which case the dorf just freezes up and awaits death- which made me think of your death message. 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 08:50:04 am »

+diorite memorial to Vutok Ilthob+   
This is a finely-crafted diorite memorial to Vutok Ilthob. 
The slab reads "In memory of Vutok Ilthob / Born 421 / Scared to death by the dwarf Avuz Bellswalks in the year 501".

diorite memorial to Avuz Rithberdan   
This is a diorite memorial to Avuz Rithberdan. 
The slab reads "In memory of Avuz Rithberdan / Born 465 / Struck down by the zombie human Leadertools with a copper spear in Zarzokun, "The Outrageous Sieges" in the year 501 / Slayer of Vutok Wordsgirder".

Well, I wonder if the two ghosts will fight each other.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 12:50:14 pm »

Ha, hilarious. He apparently feels nothing for elves...

rest in peace, Wondrousscarlet.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:57:54 pm »

Ha, hilarious. He apparently feels nothing for elves...

rest in peace, Wondrousscarlet.

Well, let me put it this way, if you just saw the shallow graves of the concentration camps, with the bodies stacked a dozen high and several hundred feet wide, then saw a dead dog nearby after that, would the dead dog even register? 

Although you can tell there's something wrong with the guy that the thing he actually comments on is the rain.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:00:16 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 08:14:27 pm »

Elves? What of them?

Oh, it seems the ghost wasn't even registered as a thought, as if he was killed instantly. I didn't even get a ghost-has-risen message and the ghost didn't appear in the unit list at all.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 08:29:13 pm »

Ghosts can float through walls, and don't show up on the unit list while in solid rock where nothing can see them. That's probably why you couldn't see it in the list.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 09:47:56 pm »

I didn't know you could die of a heart attack in dwarf fortress.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 06:20:10 pm »

I didn't know you could die of a heart attack in dwarf fortress.
well at least it isn't the type of ghost who will rip your arms off
then again the dwarf would probably survive that
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness
Pages: [1] 2 3