Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I am an idiot, but maybe that will help someone else...  (Read 4347 times)

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am an idiot, but maybe that will help someone else...
« on: May 30, 2015, 09:24:33 am »

I've been playing for 1-2 years now.  I only recently discovered that you can designate things in the x,y AND z-axis.  For some reason I thought you could only designate areas in the x/y plane, and this made activities like digging a 50z staircase, level by level, such a grind that I would make macros on my keyboard to do it faster.  I just hope this helps someone else.  Am I the last person to figure this out!?

Better late than never I suppose...

Richard Von Veger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McRichard cancels sleep:interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
Re: I am an idiot, but maybe that will help someone else...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:47 am »

Heh, I know that feel.I am playing DF for some 6-7 months now and I learned that 2-3 months ago.I suppose that you learn the more and more you play DF...

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 10:53:23 am »

For all intents and purposes, that is a relatively new feature, so no need to feel foolish.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:34:12 pm »

Mostly I'm just glad to know now :D. It makes so many little things better. Burrows are about 100x more useful!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:37:13 pm by Jigowah »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 05:11:49 pm »

Fun fact: When starting a new embark, you can try starting the game by finding all the caverns by just hitting "down stair", digging a random spot, going down one z, switching to "up/down stair", hitting enter, then holding down the down z button until you hit the bottom of the world, and hit enter again. 

When you hit the caverns, just move horizontally to get through a column in the caverns, remove and channel the old stairs, and replace the old space with a grate (or a wall if you hit it sideways) and then when you dig down a bit, dig back to your original designation and keep going. 

This can also be useful if you tap a river wrong and flood your fort: Having grates off a stairwell that drain into the caverns means that instead of flooding your fort, you're simply drowning the caverns. (Sorry about that troglodytes!)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »

Yep that is basically how all my games start.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »

Not as bad as when I first started. I didn't know you could change the size of farm plots and I designated each tile by hand. I felt like the biggest fool when I finally actually read the interface.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 12:08:28 am »

For all intents and purposes, that is a relatively new feature, so no need to feel foolish.

3 years old, yeah

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 05:36:59 am »

Almost as bad as not knowing that you can mass designate items with (d) (b), I manually dumped hundreds of boulders before figuring that out...

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 06:59:22 am »

Realizing I could forbid/dump items from the stocks screen was a HUGE help.  Hell... just learning to work my way around the stocks screen really helps orient you better than just watching your dorfs scramble from stockpile to workshop and back, especially once your fort starts to mature.  This is especially of help when a weaponsmith enters a strange mood and I flip to the stocks screen to forbid all the junk metals. Zinc spear? ewwwwwww

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 08:08:43 am »

OP, don't fret.  I've been playing the game several years now, and still discover new things.  Often times I'll take a break and completely forget about a particular mechanic.  For example, my latest Fortress has a sand castle on the surface.  Everything was going fine, albeit extremely slowly.  4 years later, I realized that my Dwarves have been using raw boulders, because I never ordered any blocks :-[

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 08:29:34 am »

Almost as bad as not knowing that you can mass designate items with (d) (b), I manually dumped hundreds of boulders before figuring that out...
I remember the hassle which was manual item forbidding and dumping and so forth quite vividly. Those were terrible dark days.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 01:20:52 pm »

hmmm..

I can't think of anything obvious I recently discovered. But when I just started (2-3 years ago. back before minecarts and wheelbarrows.) I didn't know what a barrow did.  So I defined one and put all my dwarves in it.

They all died of starvation and thirst as I was saying "THE RIVER IS RIGHT THERE DAMMIT"

It did take me like 3 months of play before I realized Hey! I can smooth walls!
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 01:37:25 pm »

Well, if we're talking about realizations, apparently, vermin no longer produce miasma when they rot.  It's been this way for years, as I've been told.  So I was making elaborate corpse-disposing atom-smasher dumping pits for nothing, I guess.  (Oh well, at least I can dispose of the nervous tissue and other junk items, now...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:01 pm »

Elaborate atom-smasher dumping pits are never for nothing.
Pages: [1] 2