Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building floors next to hatches and grates...  (Read 965 times)

davesoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building floors next to hatches and grates...
« on: May 29, 2015, 02:35:28 pm »

Dwarves think hatches and grates on the floor can support a floor tile next to them.. they cannot.. much hilarity and cave-in injuries.

It's happened a few times while building my 4 story burial chamber, adding a nice splattering of dwarf blood on the various coffins.

Added bonus, a cave-in onto a coffin seated on another artificial floor dislodges the coffin and punches another hole, and again on the next artificial floor, and again till it hits sturdy, natural rock.

If this weren't a burial chamber I'd be annoyed at the dwarves lack of engineering knowledge, but given the circumstances, Armok be praised! Paint the halls of the dead with the broken bones of the living :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Building floors next to hatches and grates...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »

Don't forget bridges!

davesoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:37:06 pm »

OOoOooooOoooo, do they assemble ALL the material before physics kicks in?
This effect is almost useful >:D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:51:26 pm »

Nah, I meant Dwarves building off of bridges (it doesn't work, but they think it will) resulting in cave ins. A retracting bridge built off of a grate/hatch/other bridge will be fine, a raisable one is impossible (no raisable edge). BUT, if you connect the unsupported retracting bridge (if it is not connected to any supporting square in the same way that a regular construction confers support) to a lever and pull it, the bridge deconstructs. I've used it to create self-destructing bridges for Megabeast capture and Fort defence, but I'm also interested in either myself or someone else using this to create an inordinately wasteful weapon of mass destruction.
I'm envisaging a stairway to the sky limit, at which point a massive network of 1 tile retracting bridges will all cover the sky and connect to 1 lever. Pull the lever, and suddenly everything deconstructs, dropping 1 heavy boulder (or whatever else you made the bridge out of) and 1 heavy mechanism down to earth. Add multiple layers of bridges for multiple layers of dropping obstacles. The massive cost in time spent building could be reduced by only applying the bridges to areas that enemies are, as controlled by walls/ditches. Alternatively, the massive cost could just be a part of making the WMD truly universal in its annihilation of all that dwell on the surface.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:47:51 pm »

Nah, I meant Dwarves building off of bridges (it doesn't work, but they think it will) resulting in cave ins. A retracting bridge built off of a grate/hatch/other bridge will be fine, a raisable one is impossible (no raisable edge). BUT, if you connect the unsupported retracting bridge (if it is not connected to any supporting square in the same way that a regular construction confers support) to a lever and pull it, the bridge deconstructs. I've used it to create self-destructing bridges for Megabeast capture and Fort defence, but I'm also interested in either myself or someone else using this to create an inordinately wasteful weapon of mass destruction.
I'm envisaging a stairway to the sky limit, at which point a massive network of 1 tile retracting bridges will all cover the sky and connect to 1 lever. Pull the lever, and suddenly everything deconstructs, dropping 1 heavy boulder (or whatever else you made the bridge out of) and 1 heavy mechanism down to earth. Add multiple layers of bridges for multiple layers of dropping obstacles. The massive cost in time spent building could be reduced by only applying the bridges to areas that enemies are, as controlled by walls/ditches. Alternatively, the massive cost could just be a part of making the WMD truly universal in its annihilation of all that dwell on the surface.

While amusing, for that amount of trouble, you might as well go for an orbital bombardment facility (aerial obsidian caster) that is more reusable (provided pump stacks are involved). 

In any event, it's also possible to create concentrated rockfalls on a retractable drawbridge by ordering the construction of a drawbridge, waiting for the architect to bring stones to the bridge site, and then suspending construction.  When construction is canceled, it immediately drops the stones at the tile where the architect was standing when trying to build the bridge.  If you used a retractable bridge as the platform from which the architect was building, and the bridge is retracted when you cancel building, the boulders appear from midair and fall.  If you ordered an array of 1x8 bridges on either side of a 2x10 retractable bridge, then retracted the bridge after you were done, you could have a deadfall trap that drops 3 boulders per tile into a two-tile wide hallway from an arbitrary distance in the air on player command, without having to wait for a dwarf to reach a lever.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 07:28:59 am »

You could just build a tower on a support.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 07:50:31 am »

You could just build a tower on a support.
Yeah, but that'd just make a regular cave in, not a storm of flak and rock