Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 723899 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Aut Neca Aut Necare
« Reply #5565 on: June 02, 2016, 10:47:43 am »

I did. That's how i got through classic ironman without slitting my wrists.
But every time i try impossible very bad RNG related things happen like sectoids shooting a hunkered soldier in full cover hitting him for 3 damage AND destroying his cover with another sectoid naturally finishing him off.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:09:23 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: June 02, 2016, 11:09:25 am »

EU (I think that's the first version) has a but where if a non-grenade/non acid-spitter is flanked + overwatch, they just freeze in their turning doing nothing. 

EW was getting a decent mechs.

Air game sucks in both for purely BS RNG.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: June 02, 2016, 11:30:50 am »

BS RNG or no BS RNG, it just wasn't very interesting. It was just 'watch two things plink at each others and maybe evac if your thingy is hit a lot'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: June 02, 2016, 11:54:46 am »

Spoiler: alien hunters (click to show/hide)
T-that sounds beautiful.
Please tell me you took pictures. Please.
Unfortunately I was panicking too much to think of that :(
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: June 02, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »

They took the air stuff out and I didn't even notice until now, that's how little it added to the game. Having air stuff would be cool in theory but it needs to be good. I don't think it realistically would have been, and it's not really necessary.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: June 02, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »

Air game was in the old school version, and remain unchanged as far as how combat is resolved in EU.

Well, except for having multiple air base around to world to detect/farm ufo.

XCOM2 has a ufo, but it's more a base defense type.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: June 02, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »

I never used modules either, but I always played on normal where they weren't necessary basically ever.  Simpler to just have a backup fighter.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: June 02, 2016, 04:38:02 pm »

The air game was a joke in X-COM (Avalanches outrange most, plasma beams outrange almost all of them).
It was better in XCOM, with the addition of modules and the EMP weapon, but it still wasn't great.

Still, I didn't mind it, considering how little it was of the actual game.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: June 02, 2016, 04:38:52 pm »

Quite sure modules were useless in classic as well. Maybe good to use if you have a raven and want to take on something it normally shouldn't get remotely close to.
No idea about impossible.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: June 02, 2016, 04:58:30 pm »

The air game was a joke in X-COM (Avalanches outrange most, plasma beams outrange almost all of them).
It was better in XCOM, with the addition of modules and the EMP weapon, but it still wasn't great.

Still, I didn't mind it, considering how little it was of the actual game.
Money was essentially unlimited for me in OldCOM because I used workshops to print laser cannons.  I kinda wonder how difficult it would have been if I hadn't done that...  But yeah I had three firestorms per base with laser cannons fairly rapidly.  Plasma's better, but I didn't grind elerium from supply ships.  Heck I mostly used laser rifles, just for style and convenience.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: June 02, 2016, 06:09:22 pm »

Laser cannons were kind of poop, to be honest, and I never had money troubles even without selling lasers.
You don't need to grind elerium; I personally don't consider the firestorm worthwhile, and only a fool would ever make plasma-tier ammo, what with the quantity of heavy plasma about.

An interceptor in each base with a plasma beam or two can deal with everything but battleships with ease. Sure, you pay each month for them... but you don't need research, they have much better range on them, and their fragility isn't a problem when they outrange everything. For battleships, you can get a couple of avengers by the time they're really an issue to kick their teeth in.

Quite sure modules were useless in classic as well. Maybe good to use if you have a raven and want to take on something it normally shouldn't get remotely close to.
No idea about impossible.
I didn't use them in vanilla classic, either, but I used them a couple of times in my Long War run before I gave up.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: June 02, 2016, 08:12:19 pm »

Re: OldCOM (Or rather: OpenXCOM)
I used a small mod that reduced the range of all human weapons, gave all alien crafts full range (but not the same power), and increased the power of avalanches but made them insanely expensive (basically a "last measure" option that allowed you to -not without risks- bring down something bad -say, a snakeman terror ship-, at a huge cost.). It balanced air combat quite a bit.

Re: XCOM2 and RNG... I swear there must be something wrong with it. Way too many of my shots missing at >80% (even at 95%!) odds. Also maybe it's just me, but way too many enemy shots seem to hit me despite full cover  >:( >:( >:(

Sheesh. I need a cup of some herbal tea or something.  Playing this game cannot be good for my health. It had been years since I had ragequit so often.
(The real wonder is that I keep going back for more  :o )

Also: is it just me or sometimes the information on which tiles are "safe" during stealth mode is rather inaccurate?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: June 02, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »

If I had to give the game one criticism (HUGE CRITICISM)

It is that it fails to actually project the premise of the game. Which is that you are a resistance cell against an near all powerful looming presence of aliens who have near unlimited resources to deal with you.

It actually feels like an alternate version of the first game.

MIND YOU! I believe this problem is because, once again, the makers of the game didn't want you to feel like you were playing the villains (and thus actually committing acts of terror) AKA why there are no human enemies.

Yeah there are terror missions, but you can push them back (Heck they don't even have to recover)... You don't really do any ground work, don't plant any spies, don't cut off supply lines, don't blow up bridges...

In fact I'd go as far as to say that all the aliens had to do to win... was to cancel the Avatar project. As then you would have had nothing on them. Then again the aliens did prove they were absolutely incompetent in this game anyway so yeah.

---

Heck even the "Alien Leaders" DLC kind of plays into it. When I saw that DLC I thought we were actually going to go out of our way to actually kill off some generals and VIPs of the alien army.

But nope... that would be "terroristy" and we are the Naruto Ninjas of Insurgence. Thus we only killed them in self-defense.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:55:45 pm by Neonivek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: June 02, 2016, 08:58:44 pm »

Well... you do get murder/kidnap missions against ADVENT collaborationists...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: June 02, 2016, 09:00:46 pm »

Yeah. I really like XCom2, but that definitely feels like my number one disliked aspect of it. It doesn't feel like you're fighting as the resistance against occupying aliens. It had the potential to be a much better and cooler setting than XCom EU, but I think the setting is worse off because at least EU had the mild horror/creepy/unknown vibe. 
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 469