Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724200 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: 215 Hours Until Unification Day
« Reply #3435 on: January 26, 2016, 07:59:20 pm »

What? Like a three-season computer-animated series about an elite team of artefact hunters and saboteurs that were pressed into training since childhood and serve mysterious overlords with secret agendas while trying to uncover their own backgrounds and the nature of the organisation while struggling to maintain their identities amidst casual body modifications, ruthless authority, and brutal missions? And it gets cancelled after two seasons just as themyterious benefactors are revealed to be aliens and suddenly turn hostile with two of the fan-favourite characters melting under plasma-fire in the closing scene?

I wouldn't want to give anyone ideas...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: January 26, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »

I feel like you're referencing a very specific thing but I don't get it so you'll have to spill the beans.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: January 26, 2016, 08:10:25 pm »

Same, because I think I want to watch the thing you're referencing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: January 26, 2016, 10:21:48 pm »

I am not actually referencing anything, just being overly-specific and suffering from an overdose of cynicism.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: January 27, 2016, 12:19:29 am »

Also, I *really* hope we don't have anything as stupid as the Exalt comm hacks that made them all have to reload. It never made any sense at all and forced a kind of strange dynamic to the battles where you'd run around hitting hacks while exalt stood around like idiots reloading the guns the reloaded last turn. Would have made more sense to have the comm hacks reduce the reinforcements that Exalt always got.
I always understood the reload thing as the creative team having difficulty showing the EXALT folks reacting to their communications jamming.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: January 27, 2016, 12:32:17 am »

I sorta rationalized it as them panicking, which almost works.  They run and take a moment to recover.  Maybe switching to a new frequency to regain contact.

But instead of doing that with a status effect, it just clears their primary ammo.  Kinda lazy, particularly since it results in stuff like the heavies laughing and firing their rockets.  Plus they visibly reload their weapons, which is... hard to justify.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: January 27, 2016, 05:34:03 am »

Come on, you are talking about people who would rather run to a laptop and stand around with no cover than shoot their enemies and then take the laptop when the area is secure. Some of them have dangerous bionics as well. They are probably not the most stable people mentally. You can't really use common sense here. They probably genuinely connect radio silence with reloading.

YaW

• Bay Watcher
  • CremaGames
    • View Profile
    • CremaGames
« Reply #3442 on: January 27, 2016, 07:59:33 am »

So, can I play XCOM 2 without having played Enemy Unknown? I mean storywise. I read that it's kind of a fresh start in new circumstances.

I left EU 10 hours in because my computer broke and couldn't get back to it immediately, so I felt kind of lazy to replay it from start after a month.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: January 27, 2016, 08:00:56 am »

So, can I play XCOM 2 without having played Enemy Unknown? I mean storywise. I read that it's kind of a fresh start in new circumstances.

I left EU 10 hours in because my computer broke and couldn't get back to it immediately, so I felt kind of lazy to replay it from start after a month.
Yeah, it's alt universe.
Play it without issue.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:54 am »

Well, Genetic modification does play a decent sized part in the new game if the trailer is evident, so playing Unknown wouldn't be that bad. I do love me some MECS though.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: January 27, 2016, 10:27:14 am »

Come on, you are talking about people who would rather run to a laptop and stand around with no cover than shoot their enemies and then take the laptop when the area is secure. Some of them have dangerous bionics as well. They are probably not the most stable people mentally. You can't really use common sense here. They probably genuinely connect radio silence with reloading.

It's not that you can't find a way to justify it, it's that it has always struck me as lazy implementation. Especially since the simple task of reducing or delaying reinforcements by doing the comm hacks would have accomplished the same goal of making the missions easier while making more sense. Actual panic would have been fine too, and they already have a panic mechanic in the game they could have used. But instead they went for a 'reload' which looks strange and makes no sense.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: January 27, 2016, 11:16:33 am »

I went for it as there weapons being connected to the comn relay in some way (Some form of smart targeting system, for example), and hacking the relay forces them to do a reset.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: January 27, 2016, 11:45:12 am »

Yeah, it's alt universe.
Play it without issue.
Or more accurately, it's the sequel to getting a game over three missions in or so. Not much actual story happened.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: January 27, 2016, 11:46:48 am »

It's not that you can't find a way to justify it, it's that it has always struck me as lazy implementation. Especially since the simple task of reducing or delaying reinforcements by doing the comm hacks would have accomplished the same goal of making the missions easier while making more sense. Actual panic would have been fine too, and they already have a panic mechanic in the game they could have used. But instead they went for a 'reload' which looks strange and makes no sense.
I always thought a turn of panic would make more sense. Makes sense given what you're doing as well, since they can't communicate with their command.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: January 27, 2016, 11:57:48 am »

I still have a hunch that the Bureau might have a significant part in this story.

The Commander is for some reason extremely important so crackpot theory time...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 469