Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724089 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: 275 Hours Until Unification Day
« Reply #3375 on: January 24, 2016, 06:40:24 pm »

We will know the answer February 5th 2016, scum.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: January 24, 2016, 06:40:56 pm »

And what about UFO: Extraterrestrials which is also not getting a great many positive remarks compared to the original XCOM? There's also UFO: Extraterrestrials 2 coming out this year (as it can be read on the website) if one didn't know.

Extraterrestials were basically a copy of the original with some extra bits.
Heck i can list them out.

1 - Additional weapon tiers (you go 2 extra tiers after plasma)
2 - A lot more armored vehicles (You even get to build "sectopods").
3 - More armors (some are specialized against a certain kind of damage but it's mainly just a side effect of more weapon tiers).
4 - a different geoscape and better airgame than what X-Com originally had.
5 - No death. Your soldiers just go "unconscious". (there are mods that fix it however)
Oh huh, I didn't know about the sectopods.  I liked the personal shields though, sacrificing carrying capacity for extra protection (they stacked, though maybe they weren't in vanilla?)
A nice thing they did was, the interface had a lot of flaws and there was a lot of questionable stuff like the no-death.  But this B-man guy put together a massive mod that fixed and expanded everything to an amazing degree, with individual toggles.  The mod's folded into the main version now, with credits, and I assume they paid him well or even hired him.

Though sadly they had to strip out the dimensional portals which summoned OldCOM enemies :P  That was fun, with tech upgrades you could bring in XCOM allies instead of just enemies.  Copyright, though (they even used the same sprites, it was like a retro dimension).

Frankly I think Extraterrestrials is just better than OldCOM, mostly for one reason:  You get an indicator as to whether a soldier will be able to shoot various enemies from a position before you move them.  XCOM was incredibly frustrating about that, and TFTD got even worse somehow.

It's waaaay unnecessarily long, though.  Even if you use the convenient options to have commanders show up every mission, and change the sight ranges to realistically far.  Not that bad a flaw, though, since it has like 10 tiers of weapons instead of three.

The After-X series was completely different but I really liked it too.  Aftermath was exciting and well paced, Aftershock has a ton of TBS base building and is crazy long, Afterlight has you terraforming *Mars* which is nifty but is also long and a bit cartoony.

And yeah Aftermath had a lot of rocket spam towards the end.  But since it's not turn based, you can often sprint away from the impact sites if you're careful.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: January 24, 2016, 07:27:41 pm »

Oh huh, I didn't know about the sectopods.  I liked the personal shields though, sacrificing carrying capacity for extra protection (they stacked, though maybe they weren't in vanilla?)
A nice thing they did was, the interface had a lot of flaws and there was a lot of questionable stuff like the no-death.  But this B-man guy put together a massive mod that fixed and expanded everything to an amazing degree, with individual toggles.  The mod's folded into the main version now, with credits, and I assume they paid him well or even hired him.
I used Bmans mod. Didn't know they actually included it into the game tho.

Also "Sectopod"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It looks more like the Robocop police robots... but still.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: January 24, 2016, 07:36:48 pm »

What is wrong with their eyes? Did the devs have an aversion to rendering eyeballs? Even just giving them goggles or sunglasses or helmets would've circumvented the "void eyes" that they got going there.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: January 24, 2016, 07:40:24 pm »

They are one with the Void.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 24, 2016, 07:43:33 pm »

Most of them have normal eyes, but some of them have goggles or those weird black ones.  It's set in the future on a distant planet, so the humans have advanced technology.  I don't *think* there's any indication they have Reticulan blood, but I haven't played in a while.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 24, 2016, 07:44:56 pm »

What is wrong with their eyes? Did the devs have an aversion to rendering eyeballs? Even just giving them goggles or sunglasses or helmets would've circumvented the "void eyes" that they got going there.

I couldn't find other screenshots. I think those are placeholders from the beta/alpha.
In the actual game there are loads of people with bionics instead of eyes tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: January 25, 2016, 01:21:19 am »

Aftermath endgame: Drop smoke, throw three grenades down that ditch behind you, unpack super-weapon, win... This is all from memory but I recall the start of the game being all about desperately looking for anything that was remotely effective at range and being terrified of getting close, once you looted some of the good armour, a single agent could wipe out an army... If you want to play real-time U.F.O. Enemy Unknown, then play X-com Apocalypse... Aftermath wasn't a terrible game, it just wasn't a particularly good one.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 25, 2016, 02:05:11 am »

Kikoskia's lp of aftermath (from what I remember) went something like this:
First, grenades. Pistols are terible things but all you have, so throw more grenades. Next, actual guns. Excellent backup to grenades instead of emergency shooty things.
Later, better guns. Also armor. Be amazed at how good Keith can spot aliens now.
Lastly, Heavy armor-mounted setup-requiring machinegun railcannon of doom. Get even more explosives to support it, until it runs out of ammo. Then use everyone else's guns, since you're probably out of grenades.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: January 25, 2016, 02:50:35 am »

I don't really care about UFO 2 Extraterrestrials or XCOM2 either...all I want is Xenonauts 2.  :P

I wouldn't mind Xenonauts 1 with a less eye-gougingly hard to read interface.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: January 25, 2016, 02:54:57 am »

I don't really care about UFO 2 Extraterrestrials or XCOM2 either...all I want is Xenonauts 2.  :P
I think that might just be you.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3386 on: January 25, 2016, 04:14:57 am »

I think that might just be you.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: January 25, 2016, 05:00:18 pm »

So just playing some Xcom Enemy within waiting for the new release and bradford just:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nom nom nom

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: January 25, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »

There are some more of those.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: January 25, 2016, 06:06:19 pm »

Never played it, but it couldn't possibly have been worse than oldCom.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 469