Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724083 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: 275 Hours Until Unification Day
« Reply #3360 on: January 24, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »

Sorry for offtopic, but I don't know where I could ask this. Why do people dislike the UFO series (Afterlight, Aftershock, Aftermath)? From what I saw in the screenshots, those games look exactly like the original XCOM but with better graphics.

Ignoring the difference between graphics and aesthetics.

They really don't play similarly but honestly ignore the differences, ignore everything that makes them differently. The real issue with them is that their gameplay needed more refinement.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: January 24, 2016, 03:32:09 pm »

They're not like the original X-Com in that they're real-time with pause instead of turn-based and some different mechanics. They're also (Aftermath especially) very glitchy.

As for people not liking them, I haven't gotten that impression. I like them just fine myself, though not as much as other X-likes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 24, 2016, 03:39:02 pm »

Sorry for offtopic, but I don't know where I could ask this. Why do people dislike the UFO series (Afterlight, Aftershock, Aftermath)? From what I saw in the screenshots, those games look exactly like the original XCOM but with better graphics.
They don't really hate them (i don't think so anyway). Also the game is very different from the mechanical standpoint. For one thing it's not turn based making it closer to X-Com apocalypse then the original game.

Mind you the game is not half bad... it is however very different.
Oh and X-Com2 REALLY reminds me of Aftershock.
Forming a resistance. Fighting alien loving fanatics. Owning a flying base (admittedly the flying base is a bit less important because all the important buildings are built on the ground.)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: January 24, 2016, 03:41:48 pm »

And what about UFO: Extraterrestrials which is also not getting a great many positive remarks compared to the original XCOM? There's also UFO: Extraterrestrials 2 coming out this year (as it can be read on the website) if one didn't know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:43:43 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: January 24, 2016, 03:46:49 pm »

I like the UFO afterblank games because they feel very unique and different to plain old XCOM. They have a very interesting atmosphere and a world that feels very interesting and unique.

However as with all eastern european games, that comes at the expense of bugs and polish. Aftermath especially. Which is a shame because I liked its dark, oppressive atmosphere more than the later entries into the series.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:58:49 pm by Krevsin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 24, 2016, 03:57:41 pm »

I like the UFO afterblank games because they feel very unique and different to plain old XCOM. They have a very interesting atmosphere and a world that feels very interesting and unique.

However as with all eastern european games, that comes at the expense of bugs and polish. Aftermath especially. Which is a shame because I liked its dark, oppressive atmosphere more than the latter entries into the series.

I will say if it wasn't due to its late game (Every single enemy gets a rapid fire AoE weapon... because yeah... of course they do) and its gameplay being stretched on for FOREVER!

I'd love Aftermath as well.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: January 24, 2016, 04:01:57 pm »

However as with all eastern european games, that comes at the expense of bugs and polish. Aftermath especially. Which is a shame because I liked its dark, oppressive atmosphere more than the latter entries into the series.

I will say if it wasn't due to its late game (Every single enemy gets a rapid fire AoE weapon... because yeah... of course they do) and its gameplay being stretched on for FOREVER!

I'd love Aftermath as well.
Oh dear lord that endgame. I have no idea how pissed off I was when I managed to get through to the final chamber, only to find out I'd used up all my grenades and all of my explosive ammunition beforehand only to figure out they were kinda necessary for the finale.

Still, at least it tried to innovate. Unlike Extraterrestrials which was basically just a carbon copy of XCOM with mild alterations. Though It'd be remiss of me to say I did not at some level enjoy it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 24, 2016, 04:12:34 pm »

You can innovate or you can perfect

Extraterrestrials went the perfection path

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: January 24, 2016, 04:14:24 pm »

I am disappointed at the infrequent updates of the thread title. I was lead to expect hourly updates.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: January 24, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »

You can innovate or you can perfect

Extraterrestrials went the perfection path
One might argue that seeking perfection means seeking stagnation.

In any case, yaay, XCOM 2 and suchlike.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: January 24, 2016, 04:22:57 pm »

I am disappointed at the infrequent updates of the thread title. I was lead to expect hourly updates.
This is, frankly, your own fault for expecting so much devotion from the one and only MetalSlimeHunt.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 24, 2016, 04:36:30 pm »

And what about UFO: Extraterrestrials which is also not getting a great many positive remarks compared to the original XCOM? There's also UFO: Extraterrestrials 2 coming out this year (as it can be read on the website) if one didn't know.

Extraterrestials were basically a copy of the original with some extra bits.
Heck i can list them out.

1 - Additional weapon tiers (you go 2 extra tiers after plasma)
2 - A lot more armored vehicles (You even get to build "sectopods").
3 - More armors (some are specialized against a certain kind of damage but it's mainly just a side effect of more weapon tiers).
4 - a different geoscape and better airgame than what X-Com originally had.
5 - No death. Your soldiers just go "unconscious". (there are mods that fix it however)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 24, 2016, 06:19:39 pm »

I don't really care about UFO 2 Extraterrestrials or XCOM2 either...all I want is Xenonauts 2.  :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: January 24, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »

I don't really care about UFO 2 Extraterrestrials or XCOM2 either...all I want is Xenonauts 2.  :P
Does Xenonauts 2 have snektits? If not, it is a clearly inferior product.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 24, 2016, 06:34:22 pm »

Does Xenonauts 2 have snektits? If not, it is a clearly inferior product.

We shall know the answer in 2017.   :D
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 469