Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 723967 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Less "Modding Tools", More "Open Source"
« Reply #3240 on: January 14, 2016, 10:22:53 pm »

HL2 would be basically just a reskin though. :P
They're basically both unofficial video game sequels to Alien.  Or Aliens In the case of xcom.

My favorite thing a game reviewer has ever said was (to paraphrase) "Aliens: Colonial Marines feels generic because video games have been ripping off Aliens for decades".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 14, 2016, 11:15:34 pm »

XCOM 3 mod!
This just made me wonder about a TFTD mod, and how long it will take to implement cruise liners, especially since...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:17:14 pm by Culise »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 15, 2016, 01:29:24 am »

I'm just waiting for open TFTD to be finished so somebody can mod an open TFTD TTD crossover.
Dit dit dit ditditdit: 'cruise liner 03 has been attacked by lobstermen'
Dit dit dit ditditdit: 'your operating expenses for the month are negative'
Dit dit dit ditditdit: 'the council of funding nations had cancelled the subsidy on shipment of alien corpses to l'Oreal'
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 15, 2016, 04:05:04 am »

Isn't Alien just a reskin of something Lovecraftian or something? There is probably something biblical that would be a perfect fit...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 15, 2016, 04:26:37 am »

Isn't Alien just a reskin of something Lovecraftian or something? There is probably something biblical that would be a perfect fit...
The monster was inspired by the work of a specific artist.  Specifically, a painting of what I would call a double penis monster.  Linked image predates the movie, although its not really plagiarism since they hired the painter to design the alien itself.  As incredibly sexual as the imagery in Alien is its inspiration is even more so.

The video game adaptions tend to nix that and focus more on the marines themselves with the monsters being generic (or at least, not quite so freudian).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: January 15, 2016, 06:37:13 am »

The monster was inspired by the work of a specific artist.  Specifically, a painting of what I would call a double penis monster.  Linked image predates the movie, although its not really plagiarism since they hired the painter to design the alien itself.  As incredibly sexual as the imagery in Alien is its inspiration is even more so.

The video game adaptions tend to nix that and focus more on the marines themselves with the monsters being generic (or at least, not quite so freudian).
Well, the first movie was essentially a haunted house/slasher movie IN SPAAAAACE!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:36 am »

Well, the first movie was essentially a haunted house/slasher movie IN SPAAAAACE!
The second movie was what a bunch of coke-snorting Reagan-supporting teenagers from the 80's would like to have to survive(?) a haunted house.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 15, 2016, 11:33:40 am »

HL2 would be basically just a reskin though. :P
They're basically both unofficial video game sequels to Alien.  Or Aliens In the case of xcom.

My favorite thing a game reviewer has ever said was (to paraphrase) "Aliens: Colonial Marines feels generic because video games have been ripping off Aliens for decades".

...Half Life?  Is it because of headcrabs, because that's one minor enemy and they're significantly different from facehuggers. :P  Seems like a stretch, when so many games and movies do use the xenomorph archetype that Alien popularized.

I had a great discussion about Starcraft/Warhammer 40k with this guy who insisted he didn't see how Blizzard used Tyrannids as a close foundation for Zerg.  He argued that Blizzard copied Aliens instead XD  And the Protoss were totes original, or at best inspired byTolkein elves.

I mean yeah, Tyrannids and Eldar did evolve from Aliens and Tolkein originally.  But the SC races were *so much* closer to the 40K races than to those original concepts.  "It's just a rip off of Aliens/Tolkein!" gets applied too eagerly sometimes.

Basically my point is that we don't need a Starcraft mod, just a Space Marine mod (;
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 15, 2016, 12:50:08 pm »

Basically my point is that we don't need a Starcraft mod, just a Space Marine mod (;
Thinking about it, a mod where you play Chaos cultists in an Imperium-controlled planet would work pretty well.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 15, 2016, 12:55:08 pm »

You're right, I would much rather play that than as space marines.  Imperial guard sound good too!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: January 15, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »

Tyranids of the time during Starcraft was being released were a whole different beast.

The Games Workshop wargear doesn't work well with entirely organic armies as you imagine.

So the Tyranid of the time used hand held bio rifles, 'bone swords' and flesh whips for their armies.

Case in point, the Tyranid codex, released in 1995.

3 years later, Starcraft released

The biggest most obvious difference here is well, the Zerg themselves. They don't hold flesh guns or bone swords. Every unit in the Zerg roster is a weapon. They use claws, poisons, spit shards of bone through glands, hurl parasites they cultivate in their bodies, or just slam themselves into an enemy and explode in burst of acid.

As you might expect, the army literally bred and designed to be a weapon didn't then need to equip a weapon. And Starcraft was very popular for the time, the Zerg appealed in the same way Xenomorphs or Arachnids did, terrifying bundles of claws that seems to crawl out of a nightmare.

Though... While we're on the subject of Games Workshop and Blizzard. I'll just post a picture of 2nd Edition Tyranid Warriors (Pre-Starcraft) and 3rd Edition Tyranid Warriors (Post-Starcraft)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: January 15, 2016, 01:15:37 pm »

Eh, it's likely cross-polination all over the place. Blizzard pulled from multiple works, including Warhammer, for their inspiration of a lot of stuff. But they didn't do full rip-offs for most stuff. Like most people, they took other stuff and changed it to be theirs.

So you have a bit of Tyranid in the Zerg and a bit of Zerg later on in the Tyranid. Nothing wrong with any of that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 15, 2016, 01:30:54 pm »

I still can't wait for Liberal Crime Squad mod, either.  This is going to be so cooool!
She/they

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 15, 2016, 02:18:51 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 15, 2016, 02:49:49 pm »

Can we talk about how many Psi-Zombies are in this game?

Just from the early youtube videos you can see squads of 3 Pec-toids summon a zombie each, with the promise of the new and improved Cyberdisks that can do that in an AoE.

I dunno man, too psi-spooky for me.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 469