Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724130 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Sectopod Upgrades Are Proof Of Universal Malice
« Reply #3150 on: January 11, 2016, 05:23:45 pm »

I haven't watched the streams, so if someone who did could answer me, I'd be grateful: is there any sort of confirmation on movement (a sort of "you sure about this move?")? I lost so many soldiers in ironman in EU/EW because I either clicked on the wrong square by accident or due to how the z-levels were represented sometimes ended up sending someone to the wrong place.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: January 11, 2016, 05:24:38 pm »

I haven't watched the streams, so if someone who did could answer me, I'd be grateful: is there any sort of confirmation on movement (a sort of "you sure about this move?")? I lost so many soldiers in ironman in EU/EW because I either clicked on the wrong square by accident or due to how the z-levels were represented sometimes ended up sending someone to the wrong place.

Nope. On the bright side, you can now give waypoints so they don't go through dumb paths.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: January 11, 2016, 07:22:07 pm »

I'd be nice if some next gen game dev could set a new standard for how to dev a game at consoles and PC simultaneously, and not have it make the PC version control and handle like shit. XCOM: EU to me was like the posterchild for bad console UIs stapled to an otherwise very good PC game. I can forgive a lot from a game that has to please two masters, but slogging through a UI built for consoles that make next to no accommodations for computers is a lot of tedium to work through constantly just to try and enjoy the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:39 pm »

Impossible without just making two versions of the game. Which is what they should do but it's cheaper to not so they won't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: January 11, 2016, 07:39:15 pm »

Not to derail, but I don't know if you need two separate games. Some games come really close to doing both well. It's just that MOST games either a) just shackle the PC to the console control schema because they have to answer to Sony and Microsoft, or, b) do a really incomplete job. They miss prompts (All. The. Fucking. Time.) adjusting correctly to the input. They don't put enough thought into keybindings for the PC so, for example, mapping the same button to two different functions on two different screens is too much work. They don't do sanity checks on input. (For example in X-COM:EU, grenade targeting with a mouse is ridiculous because it's expecting analog input and gets the equivalent most of the time. But when it doesn't....madness.)

I don't really ever expect graphical and hardware issues to ever be resolved. But input and UI? Surely the industry could try harder here than it is now, by and large.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: January 11, 2016, 07:44:34 pm »

It does really bug me when PC games have poorly ported console interfaces...  TES games come to mind.  But I don't actually see any issues with the NewCOM interface.  It was clearly designed to work on consoles yeah, but it seemed pretty good for PC too.  Better than OldCOM's interface (though one should hope).

Curious to see what they come up with now that they aren't releasing on consoles.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: January 11, 2016, 07:49:11 pm »

Looks like XCOM except the actions are bound to actual hotkeys instead of numbers that change all the time. Very glad of that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: January 11, 2016, 11:13:46 pm »

How well did Consolecom do, anyway?
If my store's sales were any indication, it did...not well, despite my best efforts.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: January 11, 2016, 11:37:52 pm »

Anecdotally...every single one of my PC gamer friends has it. None of my console-only friends have it, despite me praising it a good deal. Not sure why the console crowd isn't interested but...they just aren't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: January 12, 2016, 01:14:56 am »

Anecdotally...every single one of my PC gamer friends has it. None of my console-only friends have it, despite me praising it a good deal. Not sure why the console crowd isn't interested but...they just aren't.

How many people get consoles for turn based squad based games? Tends to be a rarity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:13 am »

Used to be the norm...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: January 12, 2016, 01:40:17 am »

I remember playing strategy games on Plsystation and thinking it was really clunky and tedious to move the "mouse pointer" anywhere, whereas an actual mouse and keyboard didn't have that problem. I don't know if that's the case still with the newfangled console controllers that I've never used, but it's probably a leftover from the old days regardless.

A bit of a shame because I don't think the control scheme of nucom itself would be particulary clunky in that particular way. It was made for consoles after all.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: January 12, 2016, 01:53:47 am »

nuCOM's controls were clunky and imprecise on PC. I shudder to think about what it would have been like trying to play with a gamepad.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:08 am »

quite a bit easier surprisingly... I actually use my controller for my computer half the time just because it's a lot smoother.
Nom nom nom

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:28 am »

quite a bit easier surprisingly... I actually use my controller for my computer half the time just because it's a lot smoother.
Though in my case it's also because I played consolecom before truecom, so I'm more used to it with a controller.

Fun Fact: Nucom is the game I have bought the most times while feeling zero regret. Bought EU when it first came out on Xbox, then bought the Slingshot DLC for it. Later bought EW for console, then bought it all on PC.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:26:33 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 469